Hello from California

Brandon J

Hello, my name is Brandon and I live in Southern California. I have enjoyed using my Weber kettle grill for about a year and decided to step it up and get a 14.5" WSM this past week. I am happy with my purchase and the first attempt using the smoker this weekend was a success. I think it's safe to say I have a new hobby. :D

I smoked a chicken and some baby back ribs. Both turned out great in my opinion. I kept it simple and just seasoned the ribs with salt and pepper and didn't do anything to the chicken. The ribs had plenty of flavor between the meat's natural flavor and the hickory and apple wood I used. The chicken was juicy/tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. It tasted great in a salad or by itself with some BBQ sauce for dipping, although next time I'll experiment with some seasoning for more flavor when eating it plain. Anyone have some simple seasoning recipes for chicken they would recommend?

Here are some pictures of the results:

image hosting over 10mb

Welcome to the forum Brandon. People here are very friendly and always willing to help. Congrats on the new WSM. What part of SoCal are you in?

Welcome Brandon and congrats on the 14.5 WSM. I say your ribs and chicken are done perfect. Nice color on both and looking forward to seeing some other cooks soon.

Thanks everyone for the comments and warm welcome! Bob, I live in the Inland Empire, so not too far from your hometown. I ended up smoking another chicken and some ribs this past weekend and turned or great again. The timing was pretty consistent with the first time I tried. This Weber smoker really makes it easy to get a great tasting meal (and plenty of leftovers)!

Welcome Brandon. Good lookin' eats "for a first attempt". Believe it or not, your smokes will get better as you do it more often (like so many things in life ;) ).

Back