HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

The files you linked to above are the output files for the 3d printer correct? I thought you mentioned earlier that you may also provide the actual model files? Did you give those out and I missed it or were you still planning on it? If not no biggie, I was just curious. I was going to do a case close to what you have and figured it was a great start, just a few small things I want to tweak to fit my needs a little better. I can start from scratch if need be. Thanks

Also if you dont mind my asking what kind of RepRap are you looking to build? I have been looking into it for several months myself and have yet to make a decision on what direction I want to go.

You should be able to open those files in an editor to change them as you please. I used autodesk 123d, it's free.

I'm building a Mendel Prusa 2

You should be able to open those files in an editor to change them as you please. I used autodesk 123d, it's free.

I'm building a Mendel Prusa 2

Tom:

Could you post the 123d files? I tried using Autodesk 123d to edit the stl files, and while it will import the model, I am not able to edit anything. Not sure if this is an operator error or something with the stl files.

Thanks

Tom:

Could you post the 123d files? I tried using Autodesk 123d to edit the stl files, and while it will import the model, I am not able to edit anything. Not sure if this is an operator error or something with the stl files.

Thanks

Here you go:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1qMo4bilbhhWGNpcUE2QmVuVGc

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1qMo4bilbhhWUlzMWdPLVlYRUE

Brian, should I start a new thread for this so you can keep this one for discussion of the HMpi electronics?

Yeah that's not a bad idea. Also it will be easier to find and draw more attention to your amazing design in the long run.

Tom,
For your case, how high should the LEDs and 4-way switch be mounted?

thanks,
dave

The button mounts the same way Bryan describes in his build write up. I based the case on the round button cover (there is a square one also in the parts list). The LEDs should be set so that the bottom of the LED is 7 mm above the surface of the PCB.

I've been busy with work. Still would like to buy a board if anyone has extras. Has anyone explored mounting in a pelican case?

HM4 PCB For Grab

I've been busy with work. Still would like to buy a board if anyone has extras. Has anyone explored mounting in a pelican case?

James, I ordered a set of 3 and need to part with 2. If you're still in need of one, please shoot me a PM. $13 a piece. I also have a set of Digi-Key componnents that Bryan post on the wiki (the blower, socket, and probe jacks) if anyone's interested. I hope this is not inappropriately cluttering this thread.

UPDATE [Oct 17, 2012]: My two boards have been claimed. Thanks!

Last edited:
Bryan, are you more or less done with the 4.x design? I ask because my 3.x setup does just fine, so I'm ok with holding off on building my rPi version until the case(s) and board designs are "finalized". My Pi shipped 10/4, I was a little bummed to see their announcement that all the new Pis were going to have 512mb onboard. I'll probably dedicate the one I have coming to my HM setup and procure another one for other stuff (bedroom xbmc box, whatever).

Yeah I can't think of anything wrong with the 4.0 design aside from the component out RCA jack being somewhat humpy. That can be solved with a longer header if one existed though.

I'm not sure why so many people are upset by the 512MB memory upgrade in future Pis. There seemed to be enough RAM to do plenty with it even at 256MB. I mean it could run X, a web browser, a graphical text editor, XBMC, etc. The real bottleneck is the I/O throughput, and to a much lesser degree the CPU. Not that any of that matters for LinkMeter, which uses almost no I/O and peaks out at like 20MB of RAM usage.

Yeah, I don't get why people are angry about it. I'm only annoyed because I had to wait X months to preorder, then like another 6 months before mine even shipped, only to get it 2 days before the hardware revision. Not to get too far off topic, but from what I've read on the Raspbmc forums they think the CPU is going to end up being the main bottleneck, not memory. I installed Raspbmc last night and it's pretty pokey on the Pi compared to my AtomPC. It does however seem fine streaming movies over the network with a hiccup here and there.

Yeah what's the deal with that? I mean I preordered, got one shipped at the end of July, ordered a second and it shipped in August, ordered a third and it shipped 1 or 2 days after the order. What would be nice is if instead of bumping them up to 512MB they went back to not charging shipping. I mean $35 is great but then I have to pay $9 in tax/shipping?

I also really want a model A with wifi built in! I find myself wanting to put Pis in everything I build now.

Yeah, built in wifi would be really nice. I'm hoping the next gen has a little more balls in the CPU department too. I realize it's pretty early on as far as development is concerned, but my Raspbmc install is sitting at a load of 3 idle, and you can forget about doing anything if it's updating your library.

I am looking forward to a non-pokey OpenWRT interface though.

Well I got all my parts on the way to build one with Pi. The one question I have that I cannot find an answer to, if you were to plug something in to the composite or HMDI video of the PI while it was operating the heatermeter, would you get anything out of it ?? The composite video plug would need reconfigured for sure to be able to use it.

I did snag one of these because some folks are using them with a Pi for other things..........they can be rewired to run on 5v, but with the heatermeter we have 12v avail too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006MPY198/tvwb-20

Well I got all my parts on the way to build one with Pi. The one question I have that I cannot find an answer to, if you were to plug something in to the composite or HMDI video of the PI while it was operating the heatermeter, would you get anything out of it ?? The composite video plug would need reconfigured for sure to be able to use it.

I did snag one of these because some folks are using them with a Pi for other things..........they can be rewired to run on 5v, but with the heatermeter we have 12v avail too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006MPY198/tvwb-20

When I had my PI hooked up to my HDMI computer monitor all I saw were command lines it would tell you things like for instance you pluged in the usb wifi, it would tell you and let you know that it was working or not. I did not see any heatermeter info.

When I had my PI hooked up to my HDMI computer monitor all I saw were command lines it would tell you things like for instance you pluged in the usb wifi, it would tell you and let you know that it was working or not. I did not see any heatermeter info.
Well there are many virtual terminals avail on most linux distro. control+alt+F2 for example brings up another one...control+alt+F5 in many cases brings up Xwindows if it is running. Also it is the choice of the programmer whether to "echo" things like you said you saw to terminals that are open. I guess when the PI arrives I will just have to play and see what I can find :).

Well there are many virtual terminals avail on most linux distro. control+alt+F2 for example brings up another one...control+alt+F5 in many cases brings up Xwindows if it is running.
If you plug into HDMI before your plug in the Pi (because the GPU will only try to detect the HDMI pre-boot) you'll get your kernel message spew and boot information. You'll also get a console if you press enter after it says "press enter to activate this console". That text is easily missed if you have a WiFi adapter because of all the debug information the driver puts out. There's no username or password required to use this console.

There are no other consoles (ctrl+alt+anything) or Xwindows because this isn't a full linux distro, it is optimized for small storage and RAM usage. You could probably get luci and linkmeter running on something like Raspbian but the practical advantages aren't that great considering all the packages I need are available for OpenWrt.

If you plug into HDMI before your plug in the Pi (because the GPU will only try to detect the HDMI pre-boot) you'll get your kernel message spew and boot information. You'll also get a console if you press enter after it says "press enter to activate this console". That text is easily missed if you have a WiFi adapter because of all the debug information the driver puts out. There's no username or password required to use this console.

There are no other consoles (ctrl+alt+anything) or Xwindows because this isn't a full linux distro, it is optimized for small storage and RAM usage. You could probably get luci and linkmeter running on something like Raspbian but the practical advantages aren't that great considering all the packages I need are available for OpenWrt.

Thank you for the information :). What would a Pi do hooked up to the heatermeter if you just booted it with a full linux distro ?? Would the heatermeter cause any issues with doing normal Pi stuff with it ??

Thank you for the information :). What would a Pi do hooked up to the heatermeter if you just booted it with a full linux distro ?? Would the heatermeter cause any issues with doing normal Pi stuff with it ??
There's no real problem, but there is a potential one caused by the fact most distros have console=/dev/ttyAMA0,115200 in their command line. The console gets 38400 baud heatermeter data and tries to interpret it as commands so you'll see a lot of "SysReq ..." in the dmesg. It is possible that HeaterMeter could send a sysreq that would reboot your system, unmount your drives, etc but I've never had it happen. To be completely safe you can just remove all references to /dev/ttyAMA0 in cmdline.txt and probably from /etc/inittab too.

That said, I boot my rPis into Raspbian all the time without ever seeing any ill effects.

There's no real problem, but there is a potential one caused by the fact most distros have console=/dev/ttyAMA0,115200 in their command line. The console gets 38400 baud heatermeter data and tries to interpret it as commands so you'll see a lot of "SysReq ..." in the dmesg. It is possible that HeaterMeter could send a sysreq that would reboot your system, unmount your drives, etc but I've never had it happen. To be completely safe you can just remove all references to /dev/ttyAMA0 in cmdline.txt and probably from /etc/inittab too.

That said, I boot my rPis into Raspbian all the time without ever seeing any ill effects.

Like Subway cookies I'm not sure how many people can have just ONE rPi for too awful long anyway ;-). It will take me some learning curve time soldering some projects anyway before I tackle the heatermeter board, so I will have some RPi playtime anyway :).

Back