HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

Wow, I leave the forum for 2 months and v4.0 is already taking over! Looking awesome Bryan! And I'm still looking for a paypal address to send you some beer or dev money... ;)

Last edited:
Here it is:

r02rtu.jpg

2j4813n.jpg

hs1j43.jpg

20794dl.jpg

140kb4l.jpg

2in2mq.jpg

affrxd.jpg

24wvhbn.jpg

Everything fits quite nice. I have a little bit of adjustment I want to make in terms of adding a few more internal posts to add a little more support to the heatermeter board, and some minor tweaking of the clips, but all in all I am very pleased. As a side note, this project got me very interested in 3d printing and I am currently putting together a reprap so I'm sure I'll be updating designs frequently. I will sit down tomorrow and make these few adjustments and then will post the .stl files for anyone to use. Bryan, if you want I can just send them to you and you could put them on github if that's ok.

That model is my original design with 2 mm wall thickness. After playing with this model, I'm worried that any thinner walls could be trouble. I probably won't test the thinner walled version until I'm printing on my own.

That model is my original design with 2 mm wall thickness. After playing with this model, I'm worried that any thinner walls could be trouble. I probably won't test the thinner walled version until I'm printing on my own.

That looks great Tom. Looking forward to ordering. Personally, I'd much rather have the thicker walls and not have to worry about trouble.

Tom Kole designs sounds like a nice name for a company :)

Looks great. I do 3D modeling every day if you need any assistance with the model you have come up with. In my experience with rapid prototypes/3D prints, the clips tend to fail if use want to be able to take the case apart and put it back together. It may be better to use small self tapping screws to hold the front and back of the case together, but it also depends on the thickness of your material.

Andrew, have you made an HMpi yet? If you have, I was wondering if I could have your input on the diameter that you would make a plastic post for accepting a self tapping screw (size of screw too) that would be used to physically attach the lcd to the lid of the case.

Thanks, Tom

Everything fits quite nice. I have a little bit of adjustment I want to make in terms of adding a few more internal posts to add a little more support to the heatermeter board, and some minor tweaking of the clips, but all in all I am very pleased. As a side note, this project got me very interested in 3d printing and I am currently putting together a reprap so I'm sure I'll be updating designs frequently. I will sit down tomorrow and make these few adjustments and then will post the .stl files for anyone to use. Bryan, if you want I can just send them to you and you could put them on github if that's ok.
Woooooooow, Tom, that is amazing. Really incredible. How did you make it fit on the first try?! Yeah when you're happy with the design just post the stl and if there's some way to export an image of it (like an exploded 3D view, png, ~800x600) that would be great.

Thanks guys. I was a bit surprised that everything fit on the first try as well. I am definitely of the measure twice cut once mentality. To that effect, I made all of the mods that I wanted to tweak last night and will double check everything tonight. The baseball playoffs have messed me up a bit, sorry for the delay.

Here are the files:

2a5k8px.jpg

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1qMo4bilbhhQlFfOFFjQk1XWlU

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1qMo4bilbhhM2pMcG9SV2NJWDA

I added posts to the top that will be used to attach the lcd with 2 self tapping screws as well as an extra rpi support post to the bottom. I also adjusted the design of the clips to give a little extra room to compensate for the error tolerance of the 3d printer. Just to be clear, this case requires that the rca jack on the rpi be removed so that the boards come into maximum contact. The button is nearly flush with the top of the case (by design) but is still fully functional. I used shapeways to print the model but it is expensive and costs about $60 to print this. This is partially what inspired me to start building a reprap because I would rather invest in something that I could use for years. If you find a cheaper site, please post and let others know. I am an engineer so I tinker with things by nature even if they don't need it so please don't be upset that I constantly update and change the design. Once I am 3d printing I will experiment with different wall thicknesses to try and reduce the cost. Enjoy!

Also, if you try to use Ponoko, you may have to run the stl files through their recommended cleanup program because for some reason ponoko doesn't always like them. Shapeways takes them without any problem.

Last edited:
The files you linked to above are the output files for the 3d printer correct? I thought you mentioned earlier that you may also provide the actual model files? Did you give those out and I missed it or were you still planning on it? If not no biggie, I was just curious. I was going to do a case close to what you have and figured it was a great start, just a few small things I want to tweak to fit my needs a little better. I can start from scratch if need be. Thanks

Also if you dont mind my asking what kind of RepRap are you looking to build? I have been looking into it for several months myself and have yet to make a decision on what direction I want to go.

Back