HeaterMeter Hardware v4.2.4

The USB keyboard thing was more difficult that it should be (I either have Mac keyboards cause the wife works for the fruit company or gaming ones for my PC).When I found something that connected and launched the keyboard I typed avrupdate and got back

Stopping linkmeter OK

Linkmeter platform is BCM2700
AVR fuses ERROR

Starting Linkmeter OK

Clocking error maybe? Wild guess but I've had problems with Atmega32's before when the external clock source was not good. Check soldering on your oscillator. Also that none of the Atmega pins are curled up etc. I'm no expert and Bryan will surely have better info!

Also confirm it was a new chip? If not, it may have had its fuse setting changed.

Last edited:
Mouser called me a couple times. They found me a different LED and I ended up order the socket from newark since they had it. I bought a couple extras. The lady who called actually said "hmm that's interesting I had someone else with this exact order earlier today :) "

Funny!

Neil

Wonder if they meant my order? :)

Everything is all soldered up, except TR1 as have yet to figure out exactly where that one goes. Only issues so far is lack of wifi stick (thought I had one), and the speaker does not report. Few solder points needs to be cleaned up, some appear to be connected but at least running probes (732) in jack 0, & or 1 show no signs of issues. Should hopefully have a trial run by Friday with a pork butt. MMMMmm.

1902790_10101379488301413_273740897342059281_n.jpg
10410843_10101379488371273_8514512125309060787_n.jpg

Last edited:
Clocking error maybe? Wild guess but I've had problems with Atmega32's before when the external clock source was not good. Check soldering on your oscillator. Also that none of the Atmega pins are curled up etc. I'm no expert and Bryan will surely have better info!

Also confirm it was a new chip? If not, it may have had its fuse setting changed.

Everything was new (theoretically) from the standard Mouser/digi-key orders. I'll look at the oscillator after I get my kids to take a nap today.

Can I check anything beyond 3.3 and 5v values when powering from the pi? Any places I should pay extra special attention?

Thanks. I already have a B, it looks identical but it's old.....purchased 12/25/2012...... I've done very little with it (I don't know much about it at all), any reason it won't work with the project?

I'm in the middle of ordering parts to build 2..

First trial with it and seems to work well, just wish it could control the pellet function of the smoker and all is perfect in the world! The few times i hooked up the probe to the unit it belonged to and read within roughly 4*F. I do however have noise on all the probes from 5-12 whatever unit of measurement it displays in. Also need to work on getting outside network access but other than that very pleased with this unit.

Might build one for my lil smokey joe for days of pepper smoking at low temps.

Let me start by just saying how awesome this community is. I was impressed by that the whole time I contemplated a build and seeing how people engage to help is great. The only thing better than the community itself is how awesome it is that Bryan shares schematics, etc.

To update my build, I had had some trouble with the pi connector and so had desoldered it to reseat it. That extremely painful job apparently damaged the pads on the board. Thanks to the schematics and the board files I was also to trace every line from the pi connector to other parts of the board. Two jumper wires later and the board has fired up.

One thing that concerns me now, is that I'm not getting "no pit probe", instead, my screen says: "Pit: 21F [100%]" with the absolutely latest updated image from Bryan.
FYI: This is a TC board that I got with the SMD parts pre-done on Tindie.

Last edited:
One thing that concerns me now, is that I'm not getting "no pit probe", instead, my screen says: "Pit: 21F [100%]" with the absolutely latest updated image from Bryan.
Do not be concerned! Just go into the web ui and set the Pit probe from type "Internal" to type "Thermocouple" and make sure the mv/C is set to 5.

In case anyone has been paying attention, the Tindie kits just went up a dollar in price, but the shipping is now included so they're actually $4.80 cheaper. Selling out of the first run meant I could cover the cost of a larger purchase quantity (50) and pass the savings on.

Bryan i have to say that you have done an amazing job with this. The kits are well thought out and very easy to put together with the instructions provided. Amazing job :)

Let me start by just saying how awesome this community is. I was impressed by that the whole time I contemplated a build and seeing how people engage to help is great. The only thing better than the community itself is how awesome it is that Bryan shares schematics, etc.

To update my build, I had had some trouble with the pi connector and so had desoldered it to reseat it. That extremely painful job apparently damaged the pads on the board. Thanks to the schematics and the board files I was also to trace every line from the pi connector to other parts of the board. Two jumper wires later and the board has fired up.

FYI: This is a TC board that I got with the SMD parts pre-done on Tindie.

One thing I have noticed is that if the wrong probe type is set it will read wayyy off. I have also noticed it is best to leave them at 72/73 if you run no probe as with my board it will pull random numbers out of thin air for the temp values.

One thing I have noticed is that if the wrong probe type is set it will read wayyy off. I have also noticed it is best to leave them at 72/73 if you run no probe as with my board it will pull random numbers out of thin air for the temp values.

you can disable the probes in the UI

you can disable the probes in the UI

Yeah, but that's no fun. But is there an actual reason as to why it does that? Any relation to my noise issue or is that purely on the probe end? Sorry if this shouldn't be here.

Now I just need to teach my dad how to use it and remember it.

If you're getting temp readings out of the blue with nothing plugged in, then it means that you're probably getting power dips that are causing major electrical problems (or you have debris in the jack causing contact, but that's doubtful). When nothing is plugged in the probes have a 10k ohm pullup to full power, they'd need to dip significantly to show a reading. I'd recommend trying a different 12V supply.

Bryan,

I havent been around in a long time I built several v4's and they are all still working flawlessly so no need to check in. A friend asked me to build him one so I decided to upgrade to 4.2. I built 2 one with Themocouple and one without. I love how much smaller the new rev is. Nice work. Thank you and all the people that helped improve an already awesome project.

Back