Head scratcher with my performer.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have an issue with my performer. During the summer charcoal ban it sat covered up for about 4-5 months.
When the ban was lifted I went to fire it up for some vortex thighs.
The gas ignitor wouldn't lite the gas. Using a fire stick it fired up and worked fine.
The ignitor was replaced last spring and worked fine up until I had to quite using it. I figured some critters made a nest or something in it so I pulled it out and there was nothing in it. I hit the button and got what looks like to me a good spark. Put is back together and it still won't lite the gas.
Hit it with the fire stick and it fires up and looks perfect.
These ignitors aren't cheap like the ones for the older gas grills $30-40 for the performer.
Any ideas on this problem?

Wished I could help Rich, but I got nothing. I haven't had a Deluxe long enough to have problems. Watching.

My SSP was giving me problems and I ended up giving the venturi tube a poke to clean out spider web and misc organic (leaf and whatnot) material
Has worked like a champ since
Since you've already checked that who knows.
Not a lot that can go wrong with those

Rich if I understand you correctly you have the newer style battery push button ignition. I had some issues with my S310 Genesis grill about it not lighting but I could light easy with a lighter. I treid a new system not cheap still not good on and off light. So I talked to Weber tech and he mentioned that the contact point may need a good cleaning? Contact point I asked , he said yes where the ignitor wire meets the metal on the flame tube.
So I took some sandpaper and cleaned up that area and then used a small Harbor Freight wire brush on it also.
And then reset the ignitor wire with a slight air gap and pop a good light every time.

I would have only figured this out by accident after long hours of messy around.

So I talked to Weber tech and he mentioned that the contact point may need a good cleaning? Contact point I asked , he said yes where the ignitor wire meets the metal on the flame tube.
So I took some sandpaper and cleaned up that area and then used a small Harbor Freight wire brush on it also.
And then reset the ignitor wire with a slight air gap and pop a good light every time.
Similar to an ignitor on a gas furnace. Occasionally you have to clean off the build up of carbon.

Rich if I understand you correctly you have the newer style battery push button ignition. I had some issues with my S310 Genesis grill about it not lighting but I could light easy with a lighter. I treid a new system not cheap still not good on and off light. So I talked to Weber tech and he mentioned that the contact point may need a good cleaning? Contact point I asked , he said yes where the ignitor wire meets the metal on the flame tube.

I would have only figured this out by accident after long hours of messy around.
Thanks for the response Kevin. Mine is the old style no battery. I'm going to take it apart again and do a closer inspection.

Had to sand the contact point for the igniter in my propane RV fridge last week because it was not always lighting. Worked flawlessly this week for my daughter while camping. Even though the burners are stainless steel, they do rust and can cause problems.

Rich, I had a similar problem with my old SSP and also my Gen A. On on both I went the old sandpaper route as Kevin cited and it then worked fine. With our recent rains the Gen A wouldn't light and I thought moisture of course-used the sparker in the meantime-but cleaning the contacts seemed to do the trick.

Back