Have you ever had a seller increase the price after you agreed to buy it?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I saw this Performer for $60 a few min after it was posted in on FB marketplace and OfferUp. Told the seller I will take it and we agreed. Suddenly the price went up to $150. Sorry but I don’t like these kind of sellers. I don’t even want to argue with them. They can keep it for that price.

Yep. Been there, done that. Hell, I've had folks sell things out from underneath me when they knew I was already driving over to pick the item up.

I saw this Performer for $60 a few min after it was posted in on FB marketplace and OfferUp. Told the seller I will take it and we agreed. Suddenly the price went up to $150.

WOW! It takes a special kind of chump to do that, but you swap a fair amount of product Stefan,
so you should expect to see this. Especially when it is one of those too good to be true deals.
Peoples word, and a handshake in person mean much less today than they used to. Electronic
handshakes on the swap pages are worth even less.

I have never increased the price BUT I do expressly warn any potential buyer that I do not intend to "hold" anything waiting that if a person shows up in front of me waving my asking price the item will be gone. So on some instances I have had an issue where I have set an appt for say 2pm and another for 3pm and have had the 2pm buyer loading the item just as the 3pm one shows up. Uncomfortable? Yes. But it's business.

I had a guy who was offering a grill for free and when I called he said he would take $100 because he was getting so many calls about it. PASS. The CL add was still up a few days later. Not sure if it was sold or not but I quit watching it.

The guy whose ad I posted where he said that his grill needed some parts and said "I will raise the price for my labor if I fix it" is still hawking that grill. I think he dropped the price - but not the warning!

I haven't bought and sold much at all in weber grills. In fact only once. But in that instance the price actually went DOWN.

A neighbor a few blocks over had put a silver A in their front yard. Not at the curb but off to the side. I rang the doorbell and asked if they were getting rid of it. I was told 25 bucks. I said I'd take it. When I came back with the truck the neighbor said she had changed her mind that it was such a wreck that I could have it for free.

Took it home. It really wasn't in that bad shape. It really just needed new flavorizors and a massive cleanup. Almost 4 years later it's still going strong.

Since I inherited my 1000 from my father I paid zip for both grills.

But we won't mention what the rcplanebuyer and other non essential upgrades cost..... Still a lot less than 2 new grills. And MUCH more reliable.

Last edited:
Earlier this spring..had someone post a grill for free. I was one of the first to comment and message.
I get a message 30 minutes later that it's gone. I asked how, if I was the first to inquire? Never replied.
Selling/Buying on Facebook is a complete joke, because FB messenger has a tendency to hide messages unless your friends with them.

I had a guy who was offering a grill for free and when I called he said he would take $100 because he was getting so many calls about it.

I have no problem with that one. As I have mentioned before, I have gone this route a few times,
especially back when I was first getting started. These days, I have bought as sold the same things
over and over and know what they are worth. However, if I run across something new, and do not
have a well-reasoned estimate of the value of the item, I will stick my toes in the water to judge the
temperature.
I will post it, wait an hour and see what kind of response I get. If my phone is blowing
up, I know it is too cheap. At that point, I will delete the ad, and repost a couple of days later.
DO NOT DELETE AND REPOST IMMEDIATELY, AND DO NOT SIMPLY CHANGE THE PRICE.
That will get you some profanity-laced messages real quick.
I have seen other people do this as well. It gets your hopes up and is a bit disappointing. However,
as long as they don't agree to a deal with me specifically, then no harm. But, you can not agree to a
price with someone such as was the case in Stefan's initial post and then change your mind.
A deal is a deal.

I have never increased the price BUT I do expressly warn any potential buyer that I do not intend to "hold" anything waiting that if a person shows up in front of me waving my asking price the item will be gone. So on some instances I have had an issue where I have set an appt for say 2pm and another for 3pm and have had the 2pm buyer loading the item just as the 3pm one shows up. Uncomfortable? Yes. But it's business.

I agree with you about not holding an item for someone and letting it go to the first person with cash. Too many flakes out there. I find that Facebook has the least number of flakes. Letgo is the worse. Craigslist is in the middle.

Back