Has Anyone used WSM + BBQGURU as a resting box ?

Enrico Brandizzi

TVWBB Honor Circle
This happened last sunday cook, when my brisket was ready round 0800 am. Lunch ime was programmed round 0100 pm, so I had the necessity to rest my brisket for 5 hours.
After pulling it off the smoker and let it cool down a bit over the counter, I wrapped it in foil and double blanket and put it into my cambro.
Meanwhile, I decided to tey something extreme to rest my early brisket: stabilize my BBQGURU assisted WSM round 145-150F.
So I closed almost 90% of upper vent and waited 30-40 minutes.
At the end the WSM fallen down to 148F and remain steady to that T.
So I moved my brisket from the blankets to the WSM and forgot it, till lunch.
It worked perfectly and the brisket was slightly underdone, maybe 20-30 minutes less than my perfection.
In the end, the rest machine (WSM + BBQ GURU) worked perfectly.

Has anyone else have the same experience ????

Enrico

This happened last sunday cook, when my brisket was ready round 0800 am. Lunch ime was programmed round 0100 pm, so I had the necessity to rest my brisket for 5 hours.
After pulling it off the smoker and let it cool down a bit over the counter, I wrapped it in foil and double blanket and put it into my cambro.
Meanwhile, I decided to tey something extreme to rest my early brisket: stabilize my BBQGURU assisted WSM round 145-150F.
So I closed almost 90% of upper vent and waited 30-40 minutes.
At the end the WSM fallen down to 148F and remain steady to that T.
So I moved my brisket from the blankets to the WSM and forgot it, till lunch.
It worked perfectly and the brisket was slightly underdone, maybe 20-30 minutes less than my perfection.
In the end, the rest machine (WSM + BBQ GURU) worked perfectly.

Has anyone else have the same experience ????

Enrico

I haven't but I've heard of people doing it. That probably an ideal holding temp. I know Franklin Barbecue holds theirs for hours in a warming oven at 140 before serving. I'd love to have that option so I don't at have to worry about timing when serving guests. I just don't want to pay for a BBQGuru.

I've done this before in the OTG, I had done 5kg of pulled pork for a party and like your brisket Enrico, it was ready too early, I left it in the kettle put inside a steel roasting pan and heavily covered in aluminium foil, I only added a couple of lit briquettes every hour or so and it held the pp beautifully for a couple of hours, so yes it works even in a 22,5 kettle.

Jules

Back