Has anybody done a Coca-Cola brisket?

PeterD

TVWBB Super Fan
Saw this on Pitmasters last night--in the wrap, they added what looked like about 2 cups of Coke (full-strength "Red Coke"). I've generally used beef broth at this stage of the cook and my results are pretty good, but I'd never thought of Coke. Any success stories with this? Or failures, for that matter?

Have you ever watch "Mythbusters"? They did an episode with Coca Cola. Well, one of the experiments was with a piece of steak marinated in Coke for 24 hours. This steak look completely broken down. So, with that being said, I can see why somebody would use Coke in the wrap stage of a brisket. I think they do that for last break down of the tough fibers that brisket is known for.

Last edited:
No but I use it in kalbi, Korean BBQed beef. It does indeed bring some tenderizing effect to the table.

Phosphoric acid in Coke is pretty strong stuff. Way back in second grade, we had kids that had lost teeth, bring them in (after the tooth fairy made her visit) and put them in a glass of Coca Cola. In one week the teeth had completely dissolved.

I have heard of others doing it, but I do not think I would. I have even quit wrapping briskets until I foil for the resting stage.

I've just never been happy with any brisket I've wrapped. I've had hot and fast briskets (wrapped) from others that were pretty good. I have used coke and tomato paste for a chuck roast I braised that wasn't too bad.

Yes. I saw Jim Johnson here in Italy doing a brisket that way. Or may be he was injecting coca cola! But for sure it was coca cola.
Personally I did once.

I'm with Bill and David. Used to wrap (tried both foil and BP), but always got a tastier brisket unwrapped. I do wrap after the cook and the rest to keep the brisket warm in a cooler. FWIW, the quality of the meat has proven to be the consistent key to success. I only do USDA Prime briskets anymore. They are about $3.50 down this way.

Hi Peter; I've done an Atlanta Brisket which was featured on Cooks Country... an affiliate of America's Test Kitchen twice. It uses 2 cups of Coca Cola and delivers a wonderfully flavored meat and a rich sauce to serve with it. I'm copying the recipe I used below. It really is a nice alternative to a smoked brisket and very different.

Serves 6

Parchment paper provides a nonreactive barrier between the cola-based braising liquid and the aluminum foil.
Ingredients

1 (3 1/2-pound) beef brisket, flat cut, fat trimmed to 1/4 inch
Salt and pepper
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 pound onions, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 cups cola
1 1/2 cups ketchup
4 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Instructions

1. Using fork, poke holes all over brisket. Rub entire surface of brisket with 1 tablespoon salt. Wrap brisket in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 or up to 24 hours.

2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Pat brisket dry with paper towels and season with pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Place brisket fat side down in skillet; weigh down brisket with heavy Dutch oven or cast-iron skillet and cook until well browned, about 4 minutes. Remove Dutch oven, flip brisket, and replace Dutch oven on top of brisket; cook on second side until well browned, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer brisket to plate.

3. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in now-empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer onions to 13 by 9-inch baking dish and spread into even layer.

4. Combine cola, ketchup, onion powder, sugar, garlic powder, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in bowl. Place brisket fat side up on top of onions and pour cola *mixture over brisket. Place parchment paper over *brisket and cover dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until tender and fork easily slips in and out of meat, 3½ to 4 hours. Let brisket rest in liquid, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

5. Transfer brisket to carving board. Skim any fat from top of sauce with large spoon. Slice brisket against grain into ¼-inch-thick slices and return to baking dish. Serve brisket with sauce.

TO MAKE AHEAD: Follow recipe through step 4. Allow brisket to cool in sauce, cover, and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours. To serve, slice brisket, return to sauce, and cover with parchment paper. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and cook in 350-degree oven until heated through, about 1 hour.

Getting a Great Sear.

Brisket is a flat cut of meat that curls up when you try to sear it. We fixed this problem with an unlikely tool: a Dutch oven. Weighing down the brisket with a heavy Dutch oven (the foil makes cleanup easier) ensures a more even, more thorough sear.

aside_STP_AtlantaBrisket_WeighDown_02.jpg

Back