Hanging Turkey

Luke Wberg

Here is my turkey from this year. I cooked it over lump oak charcoal with a couple of handfuls of grape vine for smoke. I did a rub with fresh Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, and garlic plus salt, pepper and virgin olive oil above and below the skin. I also injected the whole thing with butter. It smoked for around 3 hours over the empty water bowl where I had placed a tinfoil pie pan with a cup of water to catch the drippings. I cooked it until the breast meat hit 165 at which point I took out the water bowl and let it cook for a short time over bare coals to crisp up the skin on the breast meat a bit. It was tender, Juicy and probably one of the best birds I have ever made!

y3mIb3qx6lSvnCiYZIZs3rJj9tXp9qSqdbtoI7odgrOm8Gc5fSowgTNI4gvf1T_8fG584fcv-wvR4NvjGqADyAAwmgodaiDCThleMF1ffi66VEF_nRpq0BSsmZGqJE2SP82ISMQpywdXZwvHX5rfWQrscfsFjrptyzLbttgoGBpNmk

y3mtQGrbGbu0WglhKaUHIh4cEnTVaDXbh3FrmJksvK6eXklaJcXafpOL9j79gApOtjiNJn5ap7_OClygF1Pfd3Aufq1s10MMGmdGWqX8McU4C1opoVAtCDGWvJTZdvvGrCQev7kjmanOHT0MMEtWbyL689T8iyBUmlGrqpXYJE-68Q

y3mcqGGOdB4ixUwW9Q9lBb0HU4hv3yDj1qrXskoKBknQYTbDvWXT8zH5ea26g45acnPhu5vhCl2h9PKoMYamh1PkMBbyDHdAR6lG9Xj43u7UY7gGQz-f_QxCkSxYKe-OtCi-ZLsbxWM6Whu1PZWgA9-3yBvgxVgDEnZU1jqg0PLU8I

That looks great, Luke! I thought about hanging my bird(s) this year, but figured I should do a test run first, and ran out of time. You have given me confidence to give it a go!

Rich

Chris, I read some bad reviews on the expandable rack so I actually did a modification to my grill. I posted the mod in the modifications section if you are interested.

Rich, I would definitely give hanging a try, I had some great results!! I hung it breast side down and it worked a charm for temperature control in the different cuts.

Nice looking bird, Luke!

I read some bad reviews on the expandable rack...
funny the three folks i know with the Weber rack loves it... So i do not believe everything i read ;)

Nice looking bird, Luke!

funny the three folks i know with the Weber rack loves it... So i do not believe everything i read ;)
I've hung chicken and use the rack exclusively to smoke my ribs. No issues at all and does a great job. Add another to the list. :)

I've hung chicken and use the rack exclusively to smoke my ribs. No issues at all and does a great job. Add another to the list. :)

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad the hanging rack is working for you. I live in Spain and fiding Weber products here is pretty hard so I would have had to order the rack through the mail. Reviews are all I have to go by sometimes unfortunately.

Back