Hanging ribs with no water pan

Nick Matthews

TVWBB Member
The last couple of weeks I have been trying out hanging ribs. I'm removed the water pan and am cooing directly over the coals. So far I've been very pleased with the results. I think the coolest thing is that the dome temp gauge now matches my Digi-Q temp almost exactly. I even double checked it with a Maverick and it was right on.

Wonder why the bottoms don't get burnt/overdone (unless as it's only two hours. but still :confused: ). Good going in any case.

I've always wondered how this would work. I would think shorter things like Chicken might be easier to hang just because they would be further away from the fire.

Do you cook at a lower temp?

X2 what Len asked. I have always been interested in hanging ribs, but never thought of placing them on racks half way through. I have always had a fear of (as the ribs are nearing the end of the cook) the ribs tearing from the hook and falling into the coals. Also, Nick, what are you using to hang your ribs?
Tim

People do it. I don't really understand it but that's what people do in Pit Barrell Cookers. I'm not sure why the bottom doesn't overcook but I've wanted to try it. I've got the weber hanging rack for sausage. It comes with the hanging hooks.

I've done it a few times, no barrier, no foil. The bottom ends do not get burned and they're about 4" above the coals.
That's a 16 gallon drum body on a SJS.

P1070259_zps590d1d1a.jpg

I'm with Nick, hang for 2 hours then foil and place on top rack. Except I have a Hunsaker vortex fire basket in mine.
I think if one went to "fall off the bone" tender, the hook might let go but I'm not sure.
As the fat melts is runs down the rib, self basting so to speak. This may be why the bottom doesn't burn but that's just a guess.

I'm using the Weber hanging rack. I used the hooks for hanging fish the first couple of times I tried it but now have some hooks I got off of amazon, I believe they are 6".

As for hooks I cut some old stainless steel skewers to length and bent them to the desired shape. I also had to modify meat hooks from Amazon as they were too long and the ribs would hang way too low.

I've done it a few times, no barrier, no foil. The bottom ends do not get burned and they're about 4" above the coals.
That's a 16 gallon drum body on a SJS.

P1070259_zps590d1d1a.jpg

Killer !!!! Thanks for posting.

Curious... is this your preferred way to cook ribs?

Curious... is this your preferred way to cook ribs?

Not at all, but the ribs do come out fine and it is a fun way to cook. The drum body is set up only for hanging, with the threaded rod bolted on permanently. I only use this set up when I have to do a bunch of ribs for get togethers, usually away from home. The SJS drum smoker is compact enough to transport in my vehicle.

I made heavier legs using aluminum bar stock as the stock SJ legs were way too weak and unstable for this set up.
P1060995_zpscec37175.jpg

Back