Ham grenades and a couple of shorties

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Just started these smoking!IMG_0947.jpeg
Had a couple of short ribs that were thawed in error so, they are joining the party!
The smoking jacket is courtesy of Chris and I have been very happy with it, thanks again!
Have not installed the hinge or body locks yet, the loop hanger works pretty well until I get the mods done.

I don't know what I am looking at but it looks great!
This is an adaptation of a “Chuds” video, his were skinned so, this is somewhere between that and, “Schweinshanxe”.
Did you cure the hocks or ala natural?
Yes, cured for 5 days, I’m not super impressed with the smell of the brine to be honest, it needs something but, I’m not sure what yet, it may “taste out” just fine but, right off the heat, it smelled like it was “wanting” you know what I mean?
Two pieces each apple and peach from Fruitawood! Smells pretty darned good out back.
Apple cobbler just out of the oven cooling for dessert. Green beans and “Butter Rice” for sides.

Last edited:
Thanks, beans maybe but, I’m not a fan of greens. Soup was my late sister in laws bailiwick. Man, she made the best bean soup I’ve had since my dad died (dad’s was good, Sharon’s was better!)
This will shred and I’m not expecting much, if anything left, this is really maybe enough for four, some of these are smaller than I’d have liked. I will have to have a chat with the butcher and have him pull eight that are “of a size” as my father used to say.
Needs a little tweaking but, it’s on the right track.

Well, I appreciate all the good wishes but, if I’m going to spend this much time and effort it would not be in this direction. It wasn’t bad, it just didn’t seem worth the effort, the green beans were head and shoulders above the hocks.
I will do something either more challenging and reap a whole friggin ham or just not bother. It’s too much and not enough at the same time.
This one from “Chud” was a Dud”. The upside was I had everything but some pink salt, little wasted.
Don’t bother.
I’m not sure I will revisit this but, never say never. For the time invested, I’d do something more interesting. “Barbie sized ham?” Nope, not going to bother.

Last edited:

Back