Guys who heat with wood, do you ever feel 'wrong' burning good smoke wood?

Brian Lanius

TVWBB Fan
You guys that heat your house with wood, have you ever felt 'wrong' burning up good smoke wood? For some reason I find it hard to send cherry up my stove flue. I just can't bring myself to do it. Anybody else ever feel like they shouldn't be burning up a perfectly good piece of smoke wood, even though you probably have a cord or more it? I have a more than lifetime supply of cherry for my casual smoking needs yet I still can't bring myself to burn it.

Hi Brian... someone out there must want some cherry wood to smoke and be willing to trade for some "heating" wood or something of equitable value. I live in the Pacific Northwest and if I live closer I would try and work out a trade.

joe

I heat with oak only.
And I do not use oak for smoking.
When it's cold up here, I'll bust up furniture if I have to... to stay warm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When it's cold up here, I'll bust up furniture if I have to... to stay warm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except for the Lazy-Boy eh Jim
icon_smile.gif

My brother-in-law use to heat with wood. He wasn't a smoker (except he did appreciate a fine cigar), but he use to burn a lot of hickory. One day when I was over there, he did say how nice his fire made the neighborhood smell. I agreed. I guess you could look at it as a public service to burn a little of that cherry once in awhile.

Man.. I wish I had a wood burner, cause I'd be burning anything and everything right now.
My 4 year old NG F/A Trane has been on the fritz for the last 3 days..
icon_mad.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Man.. I wish I had a wood burner, cause I'd be burning anything and everything right now.
icon_mad.gif

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Appparently you can stop a Trane
icon_biggrin.gif

Had a fire going tonight. The place I get my firewood from mixes oak, hickory, maple, and any fruit trees he comes across. I have no problem burning any of it. I have from time to time gone through the firewood stack to find some last min. smoke wood though.

One of the guys I work with had a hickory tree fall down in a storm last year. He offered me some,which I gratefully accepted! When he brought it,he said his wife didn't want to give them to me. She wanted them for their fire place! They liked the PP I gave them though!
icon_wink.gif

I bought a load of firewood a couple years ago (mostly oak) and the guy gave me the bottom section of an old apple tree. He said if you can figure out how to cut and split it (and can get it in your truck) it's all yours. It's been sitting under cover; I've been thinking about turning it into apple chunks for some time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When it's cold up here, I'll bust up furniture if I have to... to stay warm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Except for the Lazy-Boy eh Jim
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>ya know Bob, never owned a Lazy-Boy, prefer to sit on the floor. That way I can't fall too far
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
icon_mad.gif

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll trade you, It's going to be 42C (108F) here today and I have to work outside in the heat.

Cheers

Back