Ground Corned Beef for burgers?

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Bought a few on sale after the 17th. Thinking on soaking in water to desalinate and grinding with maybe some chuck or sirloin, maybe pork?
Use it to change up things ( cause I'm bored :p) for burgers or maybe meatloaf ( Ruben ) ,, thoughts?

<scratches head> You're talking about fresh (cured/pickled/brined, but not roasted or steamed) right?

For some unknown reason, I'm wondering if it'll hold together into a patty after being ground.

Sky's the limit, man.

I would try it! Soak for at least 24 hours. Definitely go Rueben vibe! Probably be better if you cooked and then topped a burger, but seems worth a try to me.

I have such a huge meatloaf size pan of hash I don’t really want to think corned beef for a day or two. I am interested in how this works out for you Timothy. I feel like I’m talking to myself😁

Interesting idea. I might try it as an added flavor to standard burger or meatloaf mix? If you do it at 100%, then you'll need a binder, as I suspect it won't have the ability to stick together anymore.......then again, I've never done it, so what the heck do I know?!?!

I'm with Bruno, try it, and let us know!

R

I would try it! Soak for at least 24 hours. Definitely go Rueben vibe! Probably be better if you cooked and then topped a burger, but seems worth a try to me.
i'd recco 48 hours with 3 water changes minimum. and a lot of water to meat ratio on the soak.

personally? just make pastrami. it was THAT good. and leftovers didn't last 24 hours.

We have never tried grinding a corn beef for hamburger, but I like the idea. I've placed homemade pastrami sliced thin on a burger as a topping and that was quite good.
Barb picked up a couple of corned beef rounds after St. Patrics day on sale. So I have some to try. Why not.

Back