Grommet Mod For New ET-732

Bob Mann

TVWBB Honor Circle
I got a new Maverick ET-732 yesterday. I am going to use it on my OTG and WSM. I did not want to run the probe wires through the lid. I took some ideas I've seen here, and on other forums, and came up with a plan.

I cut a 3/4" long piece of 1/4" of electrical running thread (mainly used for lighting fixtures). It's 1/4" ID, and 1/2" OD. I got 2 locknuts and one pipe cap (plumbing) for it.

grommet011024.jpg

On my 18 1/2" WSM, I drilled a 1/2" hole, centered between the grate supports, and one inch below the top grate, and mounted the nipple.

grommet031024.jpg

The probe wires fit through it great.

If I don't want to use the thermometer, I can just put the pipe cap on the outside of the nipple, sealing it.

grommet041024.jpg

I did the same thing to my 22 1/2" OTG.

With the probe wires in place, I plan on sealing the nipples with a little piece of aluminum foil.

I tested my new ET-732 on some hot and cold water, and all seems working good. I am going to use my new ET-732, and my new custom grommets, for the first time tomorrow, on a spares cook (barbeque probe only).

It looks good to go!

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Earl D.

TVWBB Super Fan
That's how I did mine. I didn't cap it. Cap is a good idea. I made mine flush inside & out.

Man! It grill is clean.

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
With the probe wires in place, I plan on sealing the nipples with a little piece of aluminum foil.

I doubt you will find you need to seal it up. Very little smoke/air comes through with no probes in it.

In the lamp section at HD/Lowes they have caps that fit the rod perfect as well. I painted my caps black. Lampe (I believe) even thought to put another lamp rod through the leg of his WSM so he had a place to put the caps when he had probes run through. I always find mine in the dryer later that week.

Mark Starnes

Thanks Bob! Just got my 22.5 WSM this week along with a ET-732 I didnt want to just lay the lid on top of the wires this will work just in time for this weekends break-in

Thanks for the information on the grommet mod. Just installed this my self this weekend on my 22 WSM for $2.32 and it was very simple and worked great with the maverick!!!!!

C Rooks

Such a great idea. I was looking for a way to run my probe wires instead of through the door. Thanks for posting this!

C Rooks

Went to Lowes after work, got the materials, got home and installed everything in less than 10 minutes. So FYI...I have a bunch of materials left over if any of my fellow BBQers want it. I have enough locking nuts left to make 5 grommets, 1 end cap, and plenty of threaded "pipe". Let me know if you're interested and I'll mail it to you, or I can make about 5 more (minus the cap) and help out 5 fellow cookers. I couldn't find anything stainless steel so it's all brass.

Jeff Langer

TVWBB Fan
I would love to do this but am scared to drill a hole in my WSM! Anyone live close to Hickory, NC willing to come do this for me? Food and beverages will be on me!
icon_cool.gif

C Rooks

Originally posted by Jeff Langer:
I would love to do this but am scared to drill a hole in my WSM! Anyone live close to Hickory, NC willing to come do this for me? Food and beverages will be on me!
icon_cool.gif

I used electric tape on the spot where I wanted the hole. I was nervous too but it went just fine.

Mark Starnes

I used painters tape drilled a small pilot hole then used a 1/2" unibit worked perfect. Painted the nipple with high heat black paint so it would blend in.

Joe (Vienna)

Hello
I gonna buy the Maverick ET-732.
OK I went to Home Depot and can't find (1/4" of electrical running thread (mainly used for lighting fixtures). It's 1/4" ID, and 1/2" OD.)
All I found is a brass 1/8" ID brass and a 1/4" id zinc plated ID. It looks like this from http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/94076/wsm-mods
Will this work? I went to the lighting fixture section and that's where I found this.
Originally posted by C Rooks:
Went to Lowes after work, got the materials, got home and installed everything in less than 10 minutes. So FYI...I have a bunch of materials left over if any of my fellow BBQers want it. I have enough locking nuts left to make 5 grommets, 1 end cap, and plenty of threaded "pipe". Let me know if you're interested and I'll mail it to you, or I can make about 5 more (minus the cap) and help out 5 fellow cookers. I couldn't find anything stainless steel so it's all brass.

Bob Mann

TVWBB Honor Circle
Hi Joe, and welcome aboard.

The 1/8" ID nipple stock in your link is too small for the ET-732 probes. I used 1/4" ID, zinc material.

Bob

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I know you want to do this mod, I'm not doubting that at all.

Heck, if I start something or think I want to do something, I just have to get to it and do it BUT:

Isn't this just a solution looking for a problem?

Really, I've used a 732 since I got the WSM and I just let the lid sit on the wire. The wire is not bent, it's not kinked, it's not broken. It just works. Smoke leakage? I get more smoke out the top vent than I do with the lid on a slight angle.

You'se guys worried about drilling holes cracking the enamel and getting the right-sized pipe, I think you're worrying for nothing. IMO.

Mark R (LR)

TVWBB Super Fan
I absolutely LOVE my ET-732 and wouldn't dream of smoking without it, but I would be nervous about using it on high heat cooks on the OTG. The probe wires are rated as heat resistant up to 716F. I suspect that a high heat cook on a OTG would probably exceed that temperature, especially with the wires routed close to the charcoal.

Jason Smart

TVWBB Member
Excellent post! I have the parts....just waiting on my ET-732 to get her so I have a feel for the probe lengths before I start drilling.
icon_cool.gif

A Salas

Originally posted by C Rooks:
C Rooks please email me with details on how to get parts you have listed in your post.
Thanks

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
Originally posted by Len Dennis:
I know you want to do this mod, I'm not doubting that at all.

Heck, if I start something or think I want to do something, I just have to get to it and do it BUT:

Isn't this just a solution looking for a problem?

Really, I've used a 732 since I got the WSM and I just let the lid sit on the wire. The wire is not bent, it's not kinked, it's not broken. It just works. Smoke leakage? I get more smoke out the top vent than I do with the lid on a slight angle.

You'se guys worried about drilling holes cracking the enamel and getting the right-sized pipe, I think you're worrying for nothing. IMO.

agree