Grommet Mod For New ET-732

Bob Mann

TVWBB Honor Circle
I got a new Maverick ET-732 yesterday. I am going to use it on my OTG and WSM. I did not want to run the probe wires through the lid. I took some ideas I've seen here, and on other forums, and came up with a plan.

I cut a 3/4" long piece of 1/4" of electrical running thread (mainly used for lighting fixtures). It's 1/4" ID, and 1/2" OD. I got 2 locknuts and one pipe cap (plumbing) for it.

grommet011024.jpg

On my 18 1/2" WSM, I drilled a 1/2" hole, centered between the grate supports, and one inch below the top grate, and mounted the nipple.

grommet031024.jpg

The probe wires fit through it great.

If I don't want to use the thermometer, I can just put the pipe cap on the outside of the nipple, sealing it.

grommet041024.jpg

I did the same thing to my 22 1/2" OTG.

With the probe wires in place, I plan on sealing the nipples with a little piece of aluminum foil.

I tested my new ET-732 on some hot and cold water, and all seems working good. I am going to use my new ET-732, and my new custom grommets, for the first time tomorrow, on a spares cook (barbeque probe only).

It looks good to go!

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how I did mine. I didn't cap it. Cap is a good idea. I made mine flush inside & out.

Man! It grill is clean.

With the probe wires in place, I plan on sealing the nipples with a little piece of aluminum foil.

I doubt you will find you need to seal it up. Very little smoke/air comes through with no probes in it.

In the lamp section at HD/Lowes they have caps that fit the rod perfect as well. I painted my caps black. Lampe (I believe) even thought to put another lamp rod through the leg of his WSM so he had a place to put the caps when he had probes run through. I always find mine in the dryer later that week.

Thanks Bob! Just got my 22.5 WSM this week along with a ET-732 I didnt want to just lay the lid on top of the wires this will work just in time for this weekends break-in

Thanks for the information on the grommet mod. Just installed this my self this weekend on my 22 WSM for $2.32 and it was very simple and worked great with the maverick!!!!!

Such a great idea. I was looking for a way to run my probe wires instead of through the door. Thanks for posting this!

Went to Lowes after work, got the materials, got home and installed everything in less than 10 minutes. So FYI...I have a bunch of materials left over if any of my fellow BBQers want it. I have enough locking nuts left to make 5 grommets, 1 end cap, and plenty of threaded "pipe". Let me know if you're interested and I'll mail it to you, or I can make about 5 more (minus the cap) and help out 5 fellow cookers. I couldn't find anything stainless steel so it's all brass.

I would love to do this but am scared to drill a hole in my WSM! Anyone live close to Hickory, NC willing to come do this for me? Food and beverages will be on me!
icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Jeff Langer:
I would love to do this but am scared to drill a hole in my WSM! Anyone live close to Hickory, NC willing to come do this for me? Food and beverages will be on me!
icon_cool.gif

I used electric tape on the spot where I wanted the hole. I was nervous too but it went just fine.

I used painters tape drilled a small pilot hole then used a 1/2" unibit worked perfect. Painted the nipple with high heat black paint so it would blend in.

Hello
I gonna buy the Maverick ET-732.
OK I went to Home Depot and can't find (1/4" of electrical running thread (mainly used for lighting fixtures). It's 1/4" ID, and 1/2" OD.)
All I found is a brass 1/8" ID brass and a 1/4" id zinc plated ID. It looks like this from http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/94076/wsm-mods
Will this work? I went to the lighting fixture section and that's where I found this.
Originally posted by C Rooks:
Went to Lowes after work, got the materials, got home and installed everything in less than 10 minutes. So FYI...I have a bunch of materials left over if any of my fellow BBQers want it. I have enough locking nuts left to make 5 grommets, 1 end cap, and plenty of threaded "pipe". Let me know if you're interested and I'll mail it to you, or I can make about 5 more (minus the cap) and help out 5 fellow cookers. I couldn't find anything stainless steel so it's all brass.

Hi Joe, and welcome aboard.

The 1/8" ID nipple stock in your link is too small for the ET-732 probes. I used 1/4" ID, zinc material.

Bob

I know you want to do this mod, I'm not doubting that at all.

Heck, if I start something or think I want to do something, I just have to get to it and do it BUT:

Isn't this just a solution looking for a problem?

Really, I've used a 732 since I got the WSM and I just let the lid sit on the wire. The wire is not bent, it's not kinked, it's not broken. It just works. Smoke leakage? I get more smoke out the top vent than I do with the lid on a slight angle.

You'se guys worried about drilling holes cracking the enamel and getting the right-sized pipe, I think you're worrying for nothing. IMO.

I absolutely LOVE my ET-732 and wouldn't dream of smoking without it, but I would be nervous about using it on high heat cooks on the OTG. The probe wires are rated as heat resistant up to 716F. I suspect that a high heat cook on a OTG would probably exceed that temperature, especially with the wires routed close to the charcoal.

Excellent post! I have the parts....just waiting on my ET-732 to get her so I have a feel for the probe lengths before I start drilling.
icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by C Rooks:
C Rooks please email me with details on how to get parts you have listed in your post.
Thanks

Originally posted by Len Dennis:
I know you want to do this mod, I'm not doubting that at all.

Heck, if I start something or think I want to do something, I just have to get to it and do it BUT:

Isn't this just a solution looking for a problem?

Really, I've used a 732 since I got the WSM and I just let the lid sit on the wire. The wire is not bent, it's not kinked, it's not broken. It just works. Smoke leakage? I get more smoke out the top vent than I do with the lid on a slight angle.

You'se guys worried about drilling holes cracking the enamel and getting the right-sized pipe, I think you're worrying for nothing. IMO.

agree

Back