Grommet Mod For New ET-732

I really want to do this to my Weber OTG that I use to smoke with every couple of weeks. Currently I run the cables through the top vent and that works, but it's a hassle, particularly if my wife checks the unit. I knew I had seen hollow threaded rod before, but did not make the lamp repair connection before! The light flicks on finally! Hee! Hee!

I have the slightly heavier k-style probes for a Thermoworks dual read unit. But this is just what I want. The interior diameter is 1/4 inch? I found some that are brass and others that are an unspecified metal. Which do you think is better?

I did the mod like Bob Mann posted the day I got my 22.5 smoker and glad I did as it proved to be even better smoking 2 turkeys yesterday. I had 3 probes going in the grill, 1 in each turkey breast and then one hanging between top grate and lower for temp readings. They all fit through the 1/4" grommet mod with ease and even with the 90 degree curve in two of the probes fit through easily. So if your thinking of doing it I wouldn't hesitate too. One probe could run under lid edge but three like I did would have caused a nice gap and the mod was perfect to alleviate that problem.

i just scored two 6" pieces of threaded tube, washers and 4 caps at home depot for $12.00. Just gotta find me some 5/16" lock nuts now. I have a Brookstone wireless monitor that ive been using for 10+ years and the probe has some plastic around it that wont fit through the smaller probe holes. Love this mod with the caps.

Thanks for sharing this idea Bob!

I just thought of something, has anyone removed the factory Thermometer from the lid and run the probe through the hole(s) there?

I found the threaded pipe nipples at Home Depot but they couldn't find any nuts that would work. I went across the street to Lowe's and found the same thing, but a different brand. Right next to the pipe nipples were a set of sixteen assorted locknuts. Four of the locknuts fit the threads so I am good to go. I was unable to find any metal caps though.

Last edited:
I found the threaded pipe nipples at Home Depot but they couldn't find any nuts that would work. I went across the street to Lowe's and found the same thing, but a different brand. Right next to the pipe nipples were a set of sixteen assorted locknuts. Four of the locknuts fit the threads so I am good to go. I was unable to find any metal caps though.

The caps are usually back in the aisle where the black iron pipe is at in Home Depot. Should be in same area in Lowes near the same.

It's probably too late, but consider this: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cutting-a-probe-thermometer-slot.html
Works much better, imho. Much more convenient.
I taped over the holes I drilled for that mod. No biggie... just didn't use the grommets anymore.

I don't have the tools for that cut and I would most likely screw it up. A hole is easier to drill for me. I have already drilled many holes for the hinge.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I had seen that mod and did consider it although I like the hole better as it is between the grates.

You could do it with a drill, hacksaw & file. Just take your time & go slow.
Not trying to pressure you... it's your rig. Make it work the way you want.

Back