Grilled pizza #WSCG

WB Zipf

TVWBB Pro
So here is my first attempt at pizza on the WSCG.

The setup was I used the lower charcoal grate level with the diffuser plate, and added some kingsford and a bit of that new charbroil lump (interesting product, very homogeneous size, but expensive).

I made a white sauce veggie pizza for my wife and a pepperoni mushroom pizza for me and my son.

Heated the WSCG above 600 f (which I now realize is difficult to see in the following picture)

image_zpssqxrrxdf.jpeg

Put on the stone

image_zpsnhh8sxar.jpeg

White pizza mid cook.

image_zpswjpdywru.jpeg

Pepperoni mushroom nearly done

image_zpswxxvrxwh.jpeg

White pizza done

image_zps1dafrc9k.jpeg

Pepperoni mushroom done

image_zps5dz4gzih.jpeg

Crust check (white pizza)

image_zpsjmwtdhlm.jpeg

All in all it was a sucessful outing. I actually intended to make three pizzas, but ruined the first effort (cheese pizza) by not letting the crust cook fully before trying to remove the pan and have the crust crisp up directly on the stone. I also think 600 f is to high a temp to cook this pizza, as the toppings cooked so much faster than the crust. Oh well something to work on.

One last thought, I didn't have the "wood fired" taste I was looking for, so next time I will put in some wood chunks before I throw on the pie.

Don't feel bad, Barb and I did some pizzas on the kettle pizza, had a boat load of charcoal burning and let the stone get screaming hot, threw a couple of chunks of oak on for some flavor. Turned a pizza into a cinder in under two minuets, the cheese caught on fire! The second one I waited for the fire to burn down but didn't think about the stone staying hot, the top was perfect but the bottom was completely jet black.
Live and learn.

That rig can turn out some nice pies! Looks delicious! Have you tried just cooking it directly on the stone yet?

I've never had good luck with super high heat. I bought a few pizza books, & one of them (was it the pizza bible?) said to pre-heat the stone for ~40 minutes @ 550f or as high as possible, & then 10 minutes before, turn on the high broiler. That's how I've had my best success, but it's an art....as is getting the pie off the peel.

It might be worth trying a pizza screen instead of a stone just to see what happens. I got a bunch of pizza trays & tried them when I had difficulty with the peel. I haven't made a pie since my dad came to visit....2 days before I got hurt :( :) (I'm mostly better)

I have a question - why do you use the heat deflector plate?

In the instruction manual, this is what it says
Diffuser Plate -
The stainless steel diffuser plate is used to maintain a consistent temperature and to direct heat and smoke around the food. It is always used while smoking. However, it can also be used while cooking indirectly to maximize grilling space.

I have a question - why do you use the heat deflector plate?

In the instruction manual, this is what it says
Diffuser Plate -
The stainless steel diffuser plate is used to maintain a consistent temperature and to direct heat and smoke around the food. It is always used while smoking. However, it can also be used while cooking indirectly to maximize grilling space.

For pizza the thought is that you want an even temp all the way around so your crust and toppings cook at the same pace. I had a problem with my crust, but recognize that I didn't give my stone enough time to fully heat up. Now, if I still have the same problem with the crust being undercooked after I have given the stone an hour to heat up, then I will try without the defuser plate.

At least, that's how I was thinking about it.

Those pies look great. I'm sure you will get better at cooking pizzas on that grill, but I would be quite happy with them.

Back