Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
JOHN WAYNE

This is what we are going to have for dinner tonight. You know me, couldn't wait to post it. lol

Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce

SAUCE :
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 TB. coarse ground pepper
1 TB. spicy brown mustard
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. horseradish

CHICKEN:
1 TB. dried thyme
1 TB. dried oregano
1 TB . ground cumin
1 TB. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
10 chicken thighs (3 lb. total)

1. SAUCE: Stir together all sauce ingredients until well blended.
2. CHICKEN: Combine first 7 ingredients. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Rub mixture over chicken. Place chicken in a zip-top plastic bag, seal and refrigerate for 4 hours. Remove chicken from bag.
3. Grill chicken, covered, over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes on each side. Serve with sauce.

Source: John Wayne Way to Grill - 2015

Last edited:
I might have to do this one, especially the sauce. My wife loves Arby's horsey sauce and this sauce looks like it's a jazzed up version.

Hi Mike, I will let everyone know by tonight or tomorrow morning how it turns out. (wish us luck) I'm curious about that sauce myself, although, I don't think John would steer us wrong. lol

OH BOY, OH BOY !!!!! Duke gave us a real good one. Everything about it was delicious. Mike, your wife will really love this one. Had corn on the cob and baked beans with it.

Last edited:
OH BOY, OH BOY !!!!! Duke gave us a real good one. Everything about it was delicious. Mike, your wife will really love this one. Had corn on the cob and baked beans with it.

That sounds awesome. I'm definitely going to make it, maybe serve it with rice or pasta. I'll post an update when I do.

Sounds very similar to “Alabama white sauce” but, with a little twist. Maybe this weekend!?
The “Duke’s birthday party here was a three grill alarm! Massive amounts of protein, and grain(yes, beverages) , greens were peppers of varying color and decoration.
Sounds great Joan!

Sounds very similar to “Alabama white sauce” but, with a little twist. Maybe this weekend!?
The “Duke’s birthday party here was a three grill alarm! Massive amounts of protein, and grain(yes, beverages) , greens were peppers of varying color and decoration.
Sounds great Joan!
Thanks Timothy, so does yours.!!

I’m glad you bumped this one Joan, Duke’s has just become available around here! I used it for Ina Garten’s dill potato salad, excellent! Fully recommend that one. It’s on her Food Network site.

Mike, did you try this yet?

I didn't yet, but thank you for the reminder. It's getting made this weekend. Making my shopping list as we speak.

I’m glad you bumped this one Joan, Duke’s has just become available around here! I used it for Ina Garten’s dill potato salad, excellent! Fully recommend that one. It’s on her Food Network site.

I started using Duke's about 2 years ago when they started selling it here in Oklahoma. And, I'm not kidding when I say it was life changing. Lol. It is so good, and it's just not even close how much better it is than any other mayonnaise.

Mike, if you do, stand by with the horseradish sauce. Your wife may be like me and want it a little bit more horsy. lol

Mike, if you do, stand by with the horseradish sauce. Your wife may be like me and want it a little bit more horsy. lol

Well, I finally made it. And, it was fantastic. I only made a half recipe because I only had a little bit of mayo in the fridge.

White sauce:

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise -3/4 cup Duke's Mayo, of course
1/4 cup white wine vinegar - 2 Tbs champagne vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed (1/2 tsp. pre-diced) - 1/4 tsp pre-diced
1 TB. coarse ground pepper - 1/2 Tbs
1 TB. spicy brown mustard - 1/2 Tbs French's Chardonay Dijon Mustard (or Grey Poupon)
1 tsp. sugar - 1/2 tsp
1 tsp. salt - 1/2 tsp
2 tsp. horseradish - 1 tsp

1596573249548.png
1596573282826.png
1596573342662.png

I started really doing BBQ because my wife loves pulled pork and especially likes making her homemade cole slaw and putting it Memphis style right on the pulled pork, no BBQ sauce. This sauce reminded me of a similar flavor to the cole slaw with the creamy, tangy flavor. As a test I used it on some leftover BBQ from a local restaurant for lunch.

Smoked bologna and pulled pork sandwich, mashed potatoes, and beans.

1596574466720.png
1596574490056.png

I am SOLD. Absolutely love this sauce. Thanks so much for this recipe. It will now be a staple for our house. I'm making a copycat recipe Qdoba grilled chicken tonight for dinner and this sauce will be great with that, for sure.

This sauce reminded me of a similar flavor to the cole slaw with the creamy, tangy flavor.

In our house we only make cole slaw using Bama white sauce as the dressing. Which is what's for dinner tonight along with pulled pork.

Bama white is also good for broccoli salad and, of course, chicken. Great on smoked wings.

This is the recipe we use (from a place in Nashville), which doesn't have the HR like the original Big Bob Gibson recipe. But they are all good.

DH is going through the book now, trying to find something new to make for John Wayne's birthday. If he can't, we might be making this chicken recipe again this year.

Where to post?
Oh well, I feel like all this should be on a thread together, but it's too late now. For those interested, DH found something he wants to make for John Wayne's birthday Thursday, but I am going to post it on the PORK thread. See you there (I hope)

Joan, funny I have the Way To Grill Book and have book marked the same recipe about a year ago, just ran across this tread. I see you really liked it so having forgot about it. I'm going to bump it up on the menu and give it a try.

Back