Grill Grates ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm talking about these Grill Grates

https://www.grillgrate.com/products/22-half-moon-for-kettles-barrels-drums/?sku=GKETTLEMOON-0001

I'm sure there's been previous threads on these, but because the name is so generic, I can't get specific results when I do a search.

They make great grill marks. Is that the only reason to buy these ? I see a lot of people using them. They're a necessity for the steak cook off comps.

I like the idea of being able to flip them over and use them as a griddle. I read they keep flareups down to a minimum. I hear the grease drips down in the channels and vaporizers, creating the same flavor as flavorizer bars on gas grills.

And if you were buying these for your Kettle, would you get the Half Moon or the set that covers the entire grill .

Lynn, I started using them in place of my cast iron grates, and I really like them. Very lightweight and easy to clean and care for. They give a great sear and marks, and seem to "magnify" the heat, for lack of better terms. I bought a set (three sections) for my Akorn komado years ago, and they fit my kettle just fine. I use them on my Smokefire pretty regular too. The sections can be separated or hooked together, so you can have several different configurations. Hope this helps.

Charlie

Below are pork chops, flat iron steak, and bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, all done on the GGs. It gives me a comparable sear to cast, but without the seasoning and care required.

20210617_173037.jpg

20210708_173756.jpg

20210613_174726.jpg

Attachments

• 20210708_173749.jpg
    20210708_173749.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1
Lynn, I started using them in place of my cast iron grates, and I really like them. Very lightweight and easy to clean and care for. They give a great sear and marks, and seem to "magnify" the heat, for lack of better terms. I bought a set (three sections) for my Akorn komado years ago, and they fit my kettle just fine. I use them on my Smokefire pretty regular too. The sections can be separated or hooked together, so you can have several different configurations. Hope this helps.

Charlie
My experience as well. I bought three 15" GrillGrates for my Rec Tec Mini and used them on My Camp Chef Pellet Grill, Performer, and Smokefire. I mostly use the griddle side because I want a full sear and don't care if I have grill marks.

I've used them and enjoyed them very much. They are on my long wish list for Christmas, which remains unfilled. Alas, they are expensive.

Lynn -- if you search "grillgrates" or "GrillGrates" you will pull up many many threads discussing GGs.

I am very pro GG -- total game changer for my old Silver B. Very even heat across the whole grill top, grill runs hotter with more infrared, supresses flare-ups. Flat side is good as a griddle/flat top and also for all over searing. Since I prefer an edge to edge sear, I don't really care about the wide stripe grill marks.

I think there is less of a reason to add GGs to a kettle than a gasser. I think the SCA thing of using GGs on a charcoal grill like a PK is mostly about the wide stripe grill marks.

Lynn -- if you search "grillgrates" or "GrillGrates" you will pull up many many threads discussing GGs.

I am very pro GG -- total game changer for my old Silver B. Very even heat across the whole grill top, grill runs hotter with more infrared, supresses flare-ups. Flat side is good as a griddle/flat top and also for all over searing. Since I prefer an edge to edge sear, I don't really care about the wide stripe grill marks.

I think there is less of a reason to add GGs to a kettle than a gasser. I think the SCA thing of using GGs on a charcoal grill like a PK is mostly about the wide stripe grill marks.

Thanks !

I don't visit the gas grill parts of this forum, so evidently I've missed out on the biggest part of those discussions.

And I'll edit to add, special thanks for the Meathead link, I don't need them on my Kettle. Saved me some money .

Last edited:
My grillgrates make me happy! I use them on the kettle and the genesis with nice results......

Back