Greetings from Carbondale, IL (no we're not by Chicago)

Mat P

Greetings from Carbondale!

We're in southern Illinois - about 6 hours south of Chicago and 2 hours southeast of St. Louis. I grew up near Peoria and went to school here at Southern Illinois University (Go Salukis!)

Got bit by the bug last year and just picked up an 18.5 WSM from Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. I've always loved great BBQ and it's been fun getting into the hobby. Carbondale is actually right next to Murphysboro, home to the original 17th Street Bar and Grill and the Apple City BBQ team. Eating, reading, and watching stuff about them helped inspire me to jump into this hobby.

So how is Mike Mills BBQ ? Never heard from anyone who's actually eaten there. Welcome to the group.

Welcome to the group Mat!
Murphysboro is also home to the Big Muddy Brewery - have you had any of their beers? Can you recommend any?
I'm going to be in So. Illinois next week and was wanting to sample the 17th St. Bar and Grill and maybe do some searching for the big muddy monster, or any other Bigfoot for that matter.

Pete

So how is Mike Mills BBQ ? Never heard from anyone who's actually eaten there. Welcome to the group.

I'm admittedly a 17th Street snob, but their food is SOOO good! Love the ribs and pulled pork. Last time I was there I had their horseshoe, which uses a pork burger in lieu of a beef patty. Sinfully delicious! One note: The Murphysboro location is the one to go to. Their building in Marion is much bigger and nicer, but I always seem to get better service and food in Murphy.

Having had the opportunity to talk with Mike in the past, one thing I like is that he'll even tell you about other good BBQ in the area. Grumpy's in Carterville, Pat's in Murphysboro, Mo Wallace and Midland Inn in Carbondale are all tasty and well worth my dollar. I didn't even realize that Giant City Lodge served barbeque until I read about it in Mike's book - now it's in my regular rotation when I eat there :)

Welcome to the group Mat!
Murphysboro is also home to the Big Muddy Brewery - have you had any of their beers? Can you recommend any?
I'm going to be in So. Illinois next week and was wanting to sample the 17th St. Bar and Grill and maybe do some searching for the big muddy monster, or any other Bigfoot for that matter.

Pete

Hi Pete-

Big Muddy is good stuff. Dunkle Dog and Pumpkin Smasher are my favs. If you like moonshine you might want to pick up some Red Eye while you are here :) http://grandriverspirits.com/

Im not far from you Mike. Im over by Evansville Indiana outside a small town called Mt Vernon over in the Point. I have been to Marions 17th Street and will have to try some of the others in your area. We love taking little road trips. I have a 18.5 WSM also and im going to give it a workout today. 3 racks of Ribs from the Old Fashioned Butcher Shoppe in Evansville In. They have great Meat!! If you ever get by Madisonville Ky try Daves Sticky Pig. Meats a 9. Sides a 8. Love the stuff! Im not on here all the time and im pretty new but this place is great. Always come here for some tips before a cook. Going to make a Peach Cobbler in the Dutch Oven outside today also. If anyone smells any Hickory or Pecan smoke. Not sure yet but im mostly a Hickory Man lol. Its just me down in these Ohio and Walbash River bottoms. If you don't know were the Bottoms are your City most likely is very big lol. Welcome Mike!! Im off today and tomorrow with a high today of 62 and tomorrow 67 Yee Ha!!!! My moto is if it don't taste like Wood it aint no good lol!!

Last edited:
Welcome Mat! I'm right down the road from you in Herrin.

So how is Mike Mills BBQ ?

Last time I was there I had their horseshoe, which uses a pork burger in lieu of a beef patty. Sinfully delicious!

Everything Mat says about 17th street is true. Best ribs I've had. The Horseshoe is now on deck for my next visit to Murphysboro.

Last edited:

Back