Green Genesis 1000LX Build

When we are talking Genesis 1000-5000 grills, my goal is to always have a decent one to use every day and at least one back up. I have been playing around with them long enough to know that there are also a lot of junk ones out there and I've brought home a few myself. I've also learned that previous owner abuse and neglect contributes a lot to the problems I've come across and that's not to mention the age and amount of time they have spent in the elements.
That's a great plan. I think I will most likely have at least one or two on hand from now on.

I understand that for sure and I will never advocate for spending lots of money restoring one of these grills when it's not necessary anyway. You can put together a fantastic grill if you have already collected a few grills to use for their best parts. Most of it is an expenditure of time, effort, and a little skill. I spent less than $100 restoring that green Jack Daniels grill and it came out great. I don't know what your dream build consists of but you can turn out a super nice grill without spending big bucks on it.

I’m talking about getting the frame powder coated, unless I can find an SS frame, sending the lid to Missouri. A keeper grill that would be a family heirloom type of thing.

Cody, Good luck finding a SS frame. I have been looking for a 2nd one for several years now and have yet to come across a second. I saw one for $50 that was 2 1/2 hrs. away. I hesitated and now regret it because I have not seen one available since.

Amazing work. But IMO IDK if I call it a "restoration" because it goes so far and above what someone 25-30 years ago would have found when opening the box brand new. It's WAY above that. Yet it's not a "mod" either. Which I like. As for me anyway, anytime I see a gorgeous old car that has had a "restomod" it makes me so sad. I.E. when you see a gorgeous big finned 1959 Caddy with an LS1 crate engine under the hood, or bastardized in some other way (big wheels, tires, lowered and the like)
But that's not what I see on the workmanship of that grill. Yet it goes WAY beyond a simple "restoration"

Cody, Good luck finding a SS frame. I have been looking for a 2nd one for several years now and have yet to come across a second. I saw one for $50 that was 2 1/2 hrs. away. I hesitated and now regret it because I have not seen one available since.
I have seen 3 this year. But too far from me, all 3 were posted at 150.

Amazing work. But IMO IDK if I call it a "restoration" because it goes so far and above what someone 25-30 years ago would have found when opening the box brand new. It's WAY above that. Yet it's not a "mod" either. Which I like. As for me anyway, anytime I see a gorgeous old car that has had a "restomod" it makes me so sad. I.E. when you see a gorgeous big finned 1959 Caddy with an LS1 crate engine under the hood, or bastardized in some other way (big wheels, tires, lowered and the like)
But that's not what I see on the workmanship of that grill. Yet it goes WAY beyond a simple "restoration"

Oh we’re way different, but I like both era correct and hot rod restorations. I just see the beauty in individualizing each car, or making it look as close to the day it rolled out of the show room. The craft is where I pay attention. The details and the execution make or break it.

Yes Larry,
I see your point, because I am guilty of bastardizing a grill by blackening it out. Although I tend to like how it may look, but I can see how it may not be to everyone's taste.

Yes Larry,
I see your point, because I am guilty of bastardizing a grill by blackening it out. Although I tend to like how it may look, but I can see how it may not be to everyone's taste.
Please don't think (ANYONE) I was calling those slightly modded/improved modded grills "out" as being "bastardized". Resto mod CARS? Absolutely! I HATE what people do to true classics. The grills? No. There is actually much beauty to that artwork.
I was simply using the different levels of automotive "restorations" as example. On the grills for instance on Josh's. I don't view that as a "restomod". As it does not ruin the original functionality and genius of what was there in the first place.
Just like say if you took that same 59 Caddy example and say did a little "chroming" under the hood. That would be a better comparison. As all it does is beautify the original "artwork" of that original 390 V8. Rather than tearing out the heart of what made that Caddy a Caddy. So, yeah kind of a bad reference on my part

Please don't think (ANYONE) I was calling those slightly modded/improved modded grills "out" as being "bastardized". Resto mod CARS? Absolutely! I HATE what people do to true classics. The grills? No. There is actually much beauty to that artwork.
I was simply using the different levels of automotive "restorations" as example. On the grills for instance on Josh's. I don't view that as a "restomod". As it does not ruin the original functionality and genius of what was there in the first place.
Just like say if you took that same 59 Caddy example and say did a little "chroming" under the hood. That would be a better comparison. As all it does is beautify the original "artwork" of that original 390 V8. Rather than tearing out the heart of what made that Caddy a Caddy. So, yeah kind of a bad reference on my part
I understand what you meant and I tend to agree. I like to see what other people do from one extream to the other but personally I like to stay close to original form while still adding my own personal twist without completely changing the design. I think crossing that fine line of to far is subjective. Either way I can appreciate the the workmanship that goes into a project even if it's not to my taste. It's interesting to see what direction and vision other people have.

I took what you said as a compliment and could relate my thoughts and vision to your car companion. I do like a variety of cars and trucks but that's another conversation but on that topic I like what I like but also can appreciate good workmanship whether it's my taste or not. I think I just like to come up with unique subtle twist to things like you described but it's fun to see other people's visions.

Close. But I got a bunch of other stuff going on at the same time.

I am really just needimg to get is assembled. A few painting set backs slowed me down but im close.

I refurbed a grinder tho? I had to get something finished aahahaa
The grinder looks fantastic! I'm jealous. That was time well spent.
I totally understand about time. I was off work for a while but I'm back to work and between that and family spare time is hard to come by.

Can't wait to see your finished project.

Back