Great American Eclipse 2017

For the full effect you have to be within the path. Even if your area is say 90% it will not be a big deal.
To me it's more about the surroundings than the eclipse itself.
Near darkness in the middle of the day, stars and planets visible (if it's not cloudy).
Birds going to roost, frogs and night creatures sounding off, temperature drop, odd shadows and light.
Maybe it's over-hyped, I'll let you know after Monday.

I've never experienced total darkness yet. I remember an eclipse from the late 1960s, and another one about 30 years later, but neither dimmed the sun that much if I recall correctly. I'm quite sure things will be different this time.

I'll be on the lookout for change in the surroundings.

I am in Nebraska in the path of totality. I think a few of my wife's cousins are coming over to watch. I believe they are doing a cream can cook instead of a grill out.

In the totality. Will be camping and firing up the WSM or Joe. They're serving moonpies and sunchips at work.

Apparently there's going to be another eclipse not too many years from now with the swath of complete darkness being slightly different. Unfortunately the next time WI will be in that zone is 2099...

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/d/solar-eclipse-view-box/6270360312.html

This can be yours for only $50.00!!

Trouble is, the glass is a shade twelve, and the experts recommend a shade 14.

00O0O_T3UtbKPIz9_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Ran to the nearby farmer's market for corn this morning, came home with corn, green beans, okra, new potatoes, and yellow squash.

Even though we live in a semi-rural area, traffic was like a weekday, much heavier than normal for a Sunday. I'm sure it will only get worse.
They're calling for partially cloudy skies tomorrow.

There's so darned much smoke around here from the fires north of us that it's like a partial eclipse already!

Apparently there's going to be another eclipse not too many years from now with the swath of complete darkness being slightly different. Unfortunately the next time WI will be in that zone is 2099...

I'll be looking forward to both! :D

Haven't had a moonpie and a RC cola in ages! :)

I've seen moonpies but an RC Cola... not is years.

Never bought any glasses. I didn't realize this year's eclipse was going to be such a big event, darkness-wise, until it was too late. I guess I'll just watch the ground shadows.

EDIT: I think I'll aim my WSM lid at the sun and let the sun shine through the vent holes onto the ground. :p

Last edited:
Brooke would bite you if you tried to take hers. :)
We're getting a small slice out of the sun right now, not enough for my pinhole paper plate viewer yet.

36542861982_c942feb36c.jpg

Back