Got the green light to buy the E6 Kamado

I have a dumb question. Whats the little plastic-bucket-thingy for?

Edit: Nevermind. It appears to be a charcoal measuring bowl.

Last edited:
Both of those meals look great. Isn't the vortex and bone in skin on chicken pieces magic together! The juiciness of that pork with a great char man oh man, that looks good. I want to get a piece of pork for my rotisserie here soon, I hope it is as juicy as that piece of your!

She hath arrived!!! After dragging the box to my back yard by myself, I was slow and methodical not to screw up during assembly...which I did... but it was only minor. Ain’t she a beauty??

View attachment 25536
Just ordered my E6 last night, should be a week or 2 at the most before it arrives. I am also pretty excited.
Added Kamado JO XL to the order and some FOGO yellow bag and some jealous devil XL. A few bags of Furtado smoke wood including peach.
Any tips right away on not making mistakes with the build?

Just ordered my E6 last night, should be a week or 2 at the most before it arrives. I am also pretty excited.
Added Kamado JO XL to the order and some FOGO yellow bag and some jealous devil XL. A few bags of Furtado smoke wood including peach.
Any tips right away on not making mistakes with the build?

Do you use or have the "Bilt" app? It's a handy add-on and has the E6 instructions downloadable in it. I also downloaded the PDF instruction manual beforehand from the Weber site and practically had it memorized (yeah...I can go a bit overboard some times)! 🤪 Sorry, having the S6, no E6 model specific tips I can offer though.

One thing I am very happy I added (but everyone will have to decide based on how they cook etc.) was I ordered a second charcoal grate for the middle level. It was not expensive, and I found that we were doing lots of different cooks and it bugged me having to move the charcoal grate between the two levels repeatedly. Now I leave the bottom one in place (even if there is charcoal on it), and just add/remove the middle one when needed. It's a little thing, but I'm happy I did it. It also let's me use different drip pan options (even just a sheet of tin foil) on the middle layer when the charcoal is on the bottom without having the extra-wide coverage of the stainless steel deflector plate which for medium to high-heat indirect cooking I find blocks too much heat.

Last edited:
Those legs look great, a batch of legs like that is one of my family's favorite Weekend lunch. I always love firering up the kettle late morning on a weekend just because.

I've got a bit of a newbie question for y'all. I picked up my first WSM (18) almost a year ago and a 22" Premium about six months ago. So, I'm still pretty new to this cooking with charcoal thing. But, I'm also now in love with it. :) I suspect my wife will hate you for answering my question, but what are the advantages of a Kamado over what I have now? Are there other kinds of cooks I could do, better quality, different flavors, etc.?

Do you use or have the "Bilt" app? It's a handy add-on and has the E6 instructions downloadable in it. I also downloaded the PDF instruction manual beforehand from the Weber site and practically had it memorized (yeah...I can go a bit overboard some times)! 🤪 Sorry, having the S6, no E6 model specific tips I can offer though.

One thing I am very happy I added (but everyone will have to decide based on how they cook etc.) was I ordered a second charcoal grate for the middle level. It was not expensive, and I found that we were doing lots of different cooks and it bugged me having to move the charcoal grate between the two levels repeatedly. Now I leave the bottom one in place (even if there is charcoal on it), and just add/remove the middle one when needed. It's a little thing, but I'm happy I did it. It also let's me use different drip pan options (even just a sheet of tin foil) on the middle layer when the charcoal is on the bottom without having the extra-wide coverage of the stainless steel deflector plate which for medium to high-heat indirect cooking I find blocks too much heat.
The second lower grate sounds like a grate??!! idea..........:LOL:
I was watching people on vids move it down when looking for the smoke with the diffuser and then back up for a steak cook or whatever.
It is convenient that the same grate does both jobs but it would be more convenient to just leave the bottom one in all the time and move the middle layer when needed....most of my cooks are hotter, hopefully that will change though, I can see a brisket in my near future.
I will just follow the instructions that come with it. I had the performer done in about 30 minutes, not worried I thought there may have been a slick trick or something when it comes to mounting the bowl.

So the diffuser runs too cold of temps you are saying and you like to use foil instead?
Or you like to have one side hotter than the other in a smoking situation.

thanks for the extra grate tip, I like that idea a lot.

Back