Got my first scammer call and I can understtand how new immigrants might be scared

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Got my first scammer call and I can understand how new immigrants might be scared

other than those guys with free cruises?

This was actually the third call today! by different scammers/phone numbers. This is a popular one that really makes the rounds around this time of year.

A robot voice tells me that the CRA (Canadian equivalent of the IRS) is siccing the police on me to seize my property and bank accounts unless me or my lawyer calls them.

What a joke.

I tried to convert this to a movie so I could post to youtube and then here but trying to find a program that android can handle wasted too much of my time.

I uploaded the mp3 file to a music site so you can listen to what it sounds like.

http://picosong.com/KYn8

Hope you enjoy it. Especially if you've never got one of these calls.

If you listen closely,, you can tell it's a scammer because they don't put an actual name in it, they left the "fill in the blank" with the original instruction.

Initiate legal proceedings against your name . What a joke.

So you know, the number they used was 1-844-337-8110. And no, I didn't pick up (answ machine) and I didn't return the call.

Last edited:
I got a voice mail from the "IRS" saying it was my last chance to respond or there would be a warrant for my arrest.
Funny though, they didn't even say my name.

My wife retires next year so now we get a few calls each day (I never answer) from medicare insurance companies.
If a number comes up twice, it gets put on my block list, but that hasn't slowed down the amount of calls yet.

And will still get them Bob. Those spoofed numbers get rotated so blocking one # won't stop the next one. I've got three "base set" phones with blocking capacity of 60 each (so 180 numbers). It's full. Every once in a while I try to find one that hasn't been used in a while, delete it and add the new scammer number to it.

I started reading about scams people have fallen for. One of them was that the CRA (ha ha) agent wanted the person to go to a 7-11 and buy all the iTune cards they had, scratch the numbers off the backs and give the #'s to him (the scammer had the dupe on his cell phone the whole time this was going on--apparently for +3 hr). When he asked why would the CRA want iTune cards, the scammer said they could then get the money from Apple!!!!. The guy fell for it and continued to buy cards from different stores till a smart clerk asked him if there was a problem.

The thing is, a lot of people (people I guess who are from police states and are accustomed to being strong-armed) are sooooo afraid of government and the police these days, they'll believe most anyone who claims to be from either agency.

Wow. Even as I'm typing this, I get a call from the "duct cleaning" company. Stupid %$^#. Stop calling me.

I seldom get calls on my cell phone.
If it wasn't for getting my pace maker checkups every 6 months by landline (now via VoIP) I'd get rid of the house phones.

Received 4 or 5 stating IRS has initiated a law suit against me. Please call right away. Talked to my tax person and she laughed.

I had an elderly relative get a scammer call recently telling her she'd won the Publishers Clearing House, but that she needed to first go to Wal-Mart and get a green dot prepaid debit card worth a specific amount to pay for the shipping fees when her prize was delivered in person. When my relative relayed the story to me I told her it was an obvious scam and to tell the scammer to kindly F-off when they called back. In hindsight I should have called the local police to set up a sting and have the lowlife scumbag busted when he showed up at her door.

Check this out. Last month we got a call for our late son. They called several days straight. Pammi finally called them back. They said that Les had taken out a loan way back in '04 and had defaulted on it. They also said that Pam was on the loan, and that unless she sent them $5000 IMMEDIATELY they were going to lock our bank account and it would take 90 days to unlock it.
Needless to say, she was pretty upset! She called me right away and I told her that it's a scam and a "lawyer" can't lock a bank account. It takes a judge. I told her to call the bank so they could tell her the same thing, which they did!
When they called the next day, she said to send her a bill on a letterhead and she'd have a lawyer look it over. They replied that they could send an e-mail. No dice, she said and hung up. We've never heard from them again!
What kind of soulless @#$%&}{ would do this to a grieving mother? There's a special place in Hell for people like that!

People are terrible these days, just stealing other peoples money. I had to school my 90 year old mother to not to fall for scams as they seem to prey on the elderly.
Never give out your SS.# ever ever.
Call me if you get a call that I'm hurt/kidnapped of dead, please send money.
RIP Mom, you never got scammed.

Then my Business credit card got scammed in the Home Depot debacle for 6K by somebody in Florida.

As Phil says above.....What kind of soulless @#$%&}{ would do this to a grieving mother? There's a special place in Hell for people like that!

It got so bad here that I will no longer answer the house phone unless I know who it is, OR if I am in the mood to mess with the scammers.
Last year I got a new cell phone with a new number through a different carrier and began getting phone calls on the cell from S Korea at between 2AM and
4:30AM. I had the number blocked and they called again. I threatened to visit him in the middle of the night, cut off his male unit and feed it to him if
they called again. The calls stopped.

When my wife got her cell phone a few years back, she would get lots of calls, texts, ect. They would always want to talk to "Barney" She had fun with that one.
Esp one day when she asked which Barney they were looking for? Barney Frank, Rubble or Fife? LOL

Seems+legit.jpg

Len, 800 NOTES is a good site to check on these numbers:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-844-337-8110

I get 4 or 5 bad calls a day. I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the caller. As often as I can, I look up the numbers. These people are holding us hostage, loathe to pick up our own phones. Talk about harassment! Odd that they so often seem to call about things that directly pertain to us.

Rita

We get at least ten scammer calls a day for Medicare, IRS, Etc. Microsoft tech center is my favorite, the clowns can't even speak half way broken English. I'll play with them for 5 minuets or so like I'm really concerned and glad the want to help me. Then I'll say by the way did I tell you I'm a lawyer and this conversation is being recorded....Click.

Another option might be :

<Your town> Police Detachment, Sgt Getcha speaking. How may I help you?

Haven't tried that one yet as it's a waste of My time, regardless of good you might feel doing it.

On one other spam call many years ago, I tried the "get off the phone and stop calling me" line and hung up on him. He called again shortly thereafter and started swearing at me. Blocked. Just beware, especially if you have a listed number, they may just be able to get your address with little to no effort. Just sayin'.

I got a kick outa one a few weeks ago, I thought I was talking live to a real person, but after a few comments I figured I was just getting some pre-recorded comments that pertained to whatever I said. Pretty slick ( and the actor/person had a real nice homey personality ) but I still said no thanks and hung up.
They share our personal information and that should be illegal.

Tim

We get at least ten scammer calls a day for Medicare, IRS, Etc. Microsoft tech center is my favorite, the clowns can't even speak half way broken English. I'll play with them for 5 minuets or so like I'm really concerned and glad the want to help me. Then I'll say by the way did I tell you I'm a lawyer and this conversation is being recorded....Click.

Wow, at least 10 a day? I'd think about getting a new number if I were you, Rich. That many scammer calls sounds like a daily hassle, whereas getting a new number and updating your friends, family and business contacts with it would be a one time hassle

Wow, at least 10 a day? I'd think about getting a new number if I were you, Rich. That many scammer calls sounds like a daily hassle, whereas getting a new number and updating your friends, family and business contacts with it would be a one time hassle

This area is known for the scammer calls as there are lots of retired people in the area so it's easy targets for them. My friend changed his number a couple of times it didn't help at all.
I don't answer them all just the ones I recognize, must I just ignore.

Back