Going vegetarian? NOT

BrianCal

TVWBB Pro
NOT A CHANCE !!!
But did try a few non meat things in the past few weeks, trying new things. It all started with my chef friend asking if I could smoke some cauliflower for him to use as an ingredient. He marinated it over night in honey, sriracha, olive oil and some other things, looked pretty cool. Smoked it for about two hours over a mix of hickory and apple. Then a final quick sear to make “cauliflower burnt ends”
22431322-0EAA-48D9-BB51-B757168EA5D5.jpeg
Even made it onto his restaurant Instagram feed.
07F3951A-96C4-4E8A-94AF-7DA09748F296.png

He said the sandwiches sold out really fast. Its the one circled on the menu
101434F2-4A1F-453D-9B36-1108121898D2.jpeg
I made one for me too, maybe not as impressive, just drizzled some EVOO and some Pappy’s rub, but came out pretty good too, was great on a grilled cheese
62DAA073-7C23-4D60-9527-9D1DFB2C0579.jpegB86C065F-0EC1-4A2E-86D5-718878FBAEB2.jpeg

Last edited:
Next up was an onion, did one last week, was just ok, so my friend suggested cutting it like a blossom, and cooking it longer until it was super soft. Added a pat of butter, s&p and a sprig of rosemary.10BE1326-C4EB-42D1-807A-1FE0E96DB21C.jpeg

3E1454DC-06F3-4E09-9915-1D8C400FE6A3.jpeg
Made a nice onion dip, chopped it in the food processor with some sour cream, mayo, worcestershire, chipotle powder and cumin.

Last one was an attempt at some smoked peanuts. Mixed up some melted butter and a maple BBQ rub. Smelled great, seemed to be going okay. Finished product was kind of meh, just an ok initial flavor but finish with a bitter aftertaste. Might try again, possibly with a different rub. But they look pretty....
FF88B504-2A7F-4322-8D57-84A53F7C3E11.jpeg

Looks good! My daughter is a pescatarian (seafood & veggies) so I'm always looking for meat free recipes. Just made jalapeno popper mac-and-cheese today. Very good.

Next up was an onion, did one last week, was just ok, so my friend suggested cutting it like a blossom, and cooking it longer until it was super soft. Added a pat of butter, s&p and a sprig of rosemary.
Made a nice onion dip, chopped it in the food processor with some sour cream, mayo, worcestershire, chipotle powder and cumin.
Screw the dip. Up here in SupperClubLand, I envision that onion in the Saturday night soup kettle.

Last edited:
Have done the cauliflower on a grill works but takes a while. Like cutting it up and cooking a bit faster indoors. But it does look really good from the grill. As a former vegan i can agree that no. Not going back

One more, a little unusual for me since it is kind of patting myself on the back. But my chef friend is so blown away by the popularity of the smoked cauliflower panini, and learning the impact of smoke as a flavor layer, that I decided to give him a sample of my other experiment, smoked butter. Was doing some cheeses, figured what the heck, give it a shot.
This is what he put on his restaurant’s social media posts. Have to admit, felt pretty good to have a talented chef give a public shout out.
A502A27A-75F0-4B7D-BE8C-90C68EF0EFEE.png

22CB4A86-970D-4222-9180-5E4EF5CC024C.png

Geez, Brian, your head's gonna get as big as Barry Bonds'!;)

Very possible, but I won’t forget all of you little people I met along the way 😇
But the good news is that my friend who posted it is also a wiseass Irishman from Dublin, who can bust me back down just as easily, lol.

Wifey decided to make quiche tonight, it called for onions so we decided to use the smoked ones. She nailed it, it was really delicious. Could definitely taste the smoke, and even picked up a hint of the Rosemary that they were smoked with. She also used some Dill Havarti that I had smoked, for another layer of flavor.

C7F310AC-0427-4CD0-8FED-FE0A7FDEEC93.jpeg

Back