Giving my equipment a facelift

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
My WSM is 11 years-old and my Performer is 10. They are all original - grill grates, charcoal grates, WSM door, etc. I'm thinking of giving them a facelift; new grates, new door, a GOOD cleaning, etc. My son is a welder and has offered to replace the rusted parts on the Performer frame. It won't change the way they cook, but I feel I owe it to them for all the pleasure they've given me over the years. I'm leaving the 15 year-old Silver C gasser alone; only my wife cooks on it.

I purchased my 18" WSM "Classic" new in May, 2008 which still has no rust, grease pit, no mold, etc., etc. I make it a point to clean-it=up after each cook which pays big dividends.

Last edited:
I bought mine used (WSM for $100, Performer for $50) a long time ago and they weren't perfect when I got them. Not a total rehab project, just sprucing them up a little.

I have never purchased a new grill because I love to restore them...I have restored ALL of them to almost new condition...I just enjoy entire process and the feeling you get when u know that grill now might outlast you. BTW a restoration without a proper COVER it's irresponsable and a waste of time.

Back