Gimme a reason, please

Richard Hinton

TVWBB Fan
Besides bragging rights, what does a kamado cooker give me that I don't already have with my WSM and my Weber Performer?

I'm going to buy one.
I just can't resist after reading all these great arguements.

Thank you all for giving me a good laugh.
icon_smile.gif

What brand kamado? Lower cost Char-Griller or higher cost Green Egg/Primo?

I own large Egg and a 22.5" kettle. I wouldn't be without either one. I don't own the Egg for bragging rights, it just reaches different types of cooking the kettle can't get to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Hinton:
Besides bragging rights, what does a kamado cooker give me that I don't already have with my WSM and my Weber Performer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you decide to get a Kamado, Richard, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it, in spite of our carefully reasoned arguments.

And I hope nobody gets their knickers in a knot over this thread. If I had the space to store one, I'd happily add a ceramic to my collection.

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Hinton:
Besides bragging rights, what does a kamado cooker give me that I don't already have with my WSM and my Weber Performer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need reasons to buy another cooker??

Ceramic cookers are great. The high heat you can get out of them are great for steaks, pizza, anything that needs to be cooked quick.

The radiant heat is Superb! The fuel costs for a low´n´slow is fantastic. But i get a deeper smoke flavour on the WSM.

"Four square less feet of backyard."

icon_biggrin.gif

With reasons like these, how can I NOT resist buying a kamado? Thanks for the smiles, all.
Tim, I initially thought about attending an EggFest and possibly picking up a once-used BGE, then my thoughts turned to the Primo Oval.
Either way, I have to figure out a way to wrestle that purchase back to my patio.
Now the Char-Griller has come on the scene, and this three-part video review does a pretty good job of convincing me it's the one:
http://www.youtube.com/results...l13l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0

My brother has a BGE and loves it. It gets HOT for a great steak. He can smoke but he can't do a packer brisket - it just won't fit. A buddy has a primo where a packer will fit. I couldn't justify the price so I went with the WSM and never looked back. (I already had the kettle.)

Personally, I have no idea why a backyard bbq guy wants one. A wsm and kettle will do it all.

I looked into buying a Kamado awhile back but found a number of reviews about a cracking problem with them so I held off. Don’t know if the problem has been fixed but here’s a couple links:
Review #1
Review #2
Review #3

I think for a first grill, the choice is a Weber One Touch Gold or a Performer.

Then the obvious, next, (if you want a smoker)is the Weber Smoky Mountain.

Value, Value, Value. Add long life to the units mentioned and for me it has become a no brainer.

Me, I had a 18.5 inch Weber given to me, then I added a One Touch Gold 22.5. My wife and I are the only people in our house and we seldom entertain. Our kids get in from out of town infrequently (they live a long way away) and there is little justification for any thing else.

I have an inferior gasser (it worked perfectly for a couple of years then the burners burned out and it will cost nearly as much as a new gasser to replace them). Since I have added the OTG, I have little need of the gasser.

What smoking I do is on the OTG - I do some terrific ribs on there as well as lots of indirect chicken, fatties, as well as the standard steaks and chops.

Heck, even Cooks Country picked the Weber Smoky Mountain as the recommended smoker because of very real advantages.

Bottom line - there is no green egg in my future (maybe a WSM but not an egg).

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert McGee:
I think for a first grill, the choice is a Weber One Touch Gold or a Performer.

Then the obvious, next, (if you want a smoker)is the Weber Smoky Mountain.

Me, I had a 18.5 inch Weber given to me, then I added a One Touch Gold 22.5. My wife and I are the only people in our house and we seldom entertain. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dale, I'm pretty much with you except that I've probably gotten a little carried away recently.
icon_wink.gif

I do like my Silver A because I have a nice cast iron grate that carries a lot of heat. I can fire it up and roast a few veggies before I could get charcoal started for my kettle. It's a great tool to have in the arsenal.

I also agree with your recommendation for a smoker to round out the herd. It does what it does so well ... One alternative for that is a mini-WSM. It might be particularly suitable for someone like you. Just last week I smoked two 5 lb butts in mine and it is just about perfect size for that. My only reservation on the mini is that I'm not sure it is as easy to control as the regular WSM. I had some practice with my 18 1/2" WSM and either of these takes some practice to get the best results.

I can't speak to the Kamado because I don't have experience with one. I will suppose that it is designed to optimize certain styles of cooking and that it excels at that. If that aligns with how one wants to cook, then it's a winner. At the moment my favorite non-Weber grill is a Lodge Sportsman's Grill - a Hibachi style. It's cool and does what it does reasonably well.

Between the versatility of my OTG and the WSM I've never felt the need for a kamado. I've fed over a dozen people no problem with the smoker alone; could probably do twice that easy.
I can understand the sexiness of the kamado, but for me it's just redundant since I already have the above.

The proverbial "desert island" question.. I would take my 22" kettle as it gives me the 2 zone/indirect option that is sort of difficult with a medium or large Egg/Keg/etc. The XL oval Primo does address that setup concern but with a hefty price-tag.

But as long as you are talking about taking 2 cookers with you, IMO a kettle and Egg/Keg/etc gives you the same capability as your kettle and WSM combo plus the HIGH and even heat you can use for Pizza and steaks. The kamado is a great outdoor oven as well.

Cost is a factor no doubt.. I wouldn't have the Egg if I didn't hit a righteous CL deal.

How about 85 hour of cook time on 16.5 lbs of fuel maybe? I love my Komodo Kamado (note not "Kamado"), very versatile cooker; low and slow, high heat sear or pizzas. Holds temps like no one's business. 82 + lbs of 304 stainless, CNC machined parts. It's been a great addition to my Weber family and plays quite nicely with all my Weber products.

EDIT: Thought I'd mention prior to getting my KK I was leaning towards a Primo over BGE, can't go wrong with either, just thought the Primo XL Oval (I think this is the name) would work better for my needs. I've also heard very good things about Bubba Steel Kegs.

Back