Getting a good crust on thick steak

Paolo Wyatt

Hi all, happy Monday! Only just got around to my second cook on my Summit due to UK weather and being on vacation. Did a big T-bone but didn't turn out as well as I would've liked as the seat wasn't that good.

Any tips on how to get the best sear on your big steaks? I like using the reverse sear method to minimise the amount of over cooked steak around the edges but struggling to get a really good sear. After the low part of the cook I open up the Summit to get coals hot and then sear on cool grate. I did that with charcoal grate on bottom but now thinking perhaps I should've moved it up (and I'm looking at buying a second one to make that easier, hard to find in UK though!).

I'm not looking for sear marks but rather overall crust on the steak from the Maillard reaction. I've had it before when the grill has been too hot I think and ended up burning the steak rather than getting a nice crust. Any advice on the right temp, time and distance from coals?

TIA!

I cheat. I smoke it low temp until the steak is about 105, I then sear it in cast iron or on the Blackstone. I’m sure there’s ways to get a good crust just BBQ’ing, it should be a good thread
interesting, thanks! Do you put the cast iron on the grill?

interesting, thanks! Do you put the cast iron on the grill?
You can, but I mostly sear in the stove, mostly for convenience

Blackstone

Cast Iron

I agree with ChuckO, a stove top is very convenient and a flat surface is best. Generally, you want press your food item onto a very hot flat surface to best maximize the sear, whether it be a grilled sandwich, salmon skin, steaks, etc. One could use cast iron and press with a spatula, but you'd have to stand there and hold it down during the sear. Many chefs use a tool called a Chef's Press (or stacked chef presses) to do this. One could also use a bacon press, depending on the situation. A Chud Press also does an excellent job.

DCP_8417.JPG

I have no issues getting a nice crust and with no excess heat, no griddle, no CI pan. If I am using the gas grill, (again we're talking about steaks the way I cut them not how you buy in the store). My steaks are cut minimum 1.5" thick up to 1.75" thick. Does not matter ribeye or strip.
On the gas grill, I typically use moderately high (but indirect) heat. I make sure the steak is dry. I season generously with S&P ONLY, and ONLY just before they see the heat. Not a fan of "pickling" my steaks or my beef period. Actually any meat.
Once steak is well seasoned it goes on the grill. My Wolf does not have a gauge but I estimate it to be running 425-450. As when I had a Genesis that is about where the hood temp was at. If ribeye I will cook to 130 and pull. If strip, 125 and pull for their rests. I like ribeye cooked a little higher temps due to it having more internal fat and connective tissue. I find I get a better eating steak. Strips OTOH do not benefit from higher temps.
In any case I get a perfect crust and edge to edge rare every time.
On my pellet grills different process.
Smoke setting (so temps around 170-180). Cook until steak reaches about 115. Pull and foil cover to rest. Run temp on grill up to between 425-475 on the RTD probe. Cook steak until desired doneness temp. Again perfect crust.
Not interested in black lines as to me that is cosmetic. I look for nice overall crust and edge to edge rare with no "bullseye".

When I sear on the charcoal grill I use the Slow N Sear and the spin grate to do the "Cold Grate Method". I think it's key to get your charcoal at it's absolute peak heat. On the WSK, Try putting the charcoal grate in the high position, or get the charcoal piled up using charcoal baskets or whatever. With a thinner steak you really are only get a few minutes to sear. A good rest between slow part of the cook and the sear can help a lot. I usually cook them to 105 then do the sear, but it's just a matter of whatever works for you. I usually go 1 minute flip, 1 minute flip, 1 minute flip, 1 minute flip. You kind of run the risk of overcooking the steak if you do any more than that.

Hot metal (cooking by conduction) browns more powerfully than hot air (convection). Conduction is what produces grill marks.

So on my gas grill I sear on the flat side of GrillGrates to get edge to edge browning. A griddle or cast iron pan does the same thing.

Radiation browns second best. So IR burner or cooking direct over charcoal.

#science

After I read the opening remarks I was thinking cast in my head, Chuck might really be on to what you are looking for.......
I have not done this but it sounds reasonable.
I like to set the steak over the fire that is hot but not insane.........lots of flames kissing the meat, seems to give me the flavor I am looking for.
After of course I have brought the temps up to 90 or so so we don't over cook the meat.

When I sear on the charcoal grill I use the Slow N Sear and the spin grate to do the "Cold Grate Method". I think it's key to get your charcoal at it's absolute peak heat. On the WSK, Try putting the charcoal grate in the high position, or get the charcoal piled up using charcoal baskets or whatever. With a thinner steak you really are only get a few minutes to sear. A good rest between slow part of the cook and the sear can help a lot. I usually cook them to 105 then do the sear, but it's just a matter of whatever works for you. I usually go 1 minute flip, 1 minute flip, 1 minute flip, 1 minute flip. You kind of run the risk of overcooking the steak if you do any more than that.
This^^^^^^ perfect execution and explanation

thanks for this, all makes sense. the 1 min flip x4 would make me worried the internal temp would get too high and I'd end up with an overcooked steak (as you point out), that ever been a problem for you with 4 mins of searing? thanks!

I have stopped after the 3rd minute before. If I'm worried I'll check it with instant read thermometer. Usually 4 minutes is ok, though, if I let the steak rest before searing. I'd rather have a weaker sear on one side than an overcooked steak.

thanks for this, all makes sense. the 1 min flip x4 would make me worried the internal temp would get too high and I'd end up with an overcooked steak (as you point out), that ever been a problem for you with 4 mins of searing? thanks!
nah. just stop when IT is at 100 or 95, and then sear for crust. and a little beef tallow rubbed onto the steak before the sear will attract flames and build crust. just keep moving the steak so you crust it, not burn it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Think I will try again this weekend, the pain of last weekend still bugging me!

In googling I found these from Meathead interesting, especially the sear on top of the chimney in the second article (the first article is a nice summary but not much new info Vs this thread)

And smokingdadbbq has a steak 101 here. Not sure about the mayo myself and worry that pepper before sear will result in burnt pepper. I'm more in favour of salt only to let the true beef flavour come through

Back