Get off of my Lawn!

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
My neighbor across the street's a bit of a hassle & I'm wondering what to do. The mom is a retired school teacher, I really like her, then her son is probably ~39 years old, and the nicest kid, but he's on more meth & heroin each day than you could imagine (you'd never know by looking at him or seeing his behavior, he's really friendly). He's been in/out of jail probably 7 out of the last 8 years, and now his daughter is living there for the last couple years - a HS senior, I think. They're all really nice, but all of her friends drive little rice rockets, and the house is a bit of a hive. The loudest car is a POS (high school girl who doesn't live there), & comes-goes 6 times per day or more every day - 7:30am - 10:30pm. Then the daughter's BF comes/goes, but at hours as late as ~1am.

Really wish there was something I could do about all this noise - when they come/go, you can hear them for 1/4 mile, & when they idle, it vibrates my house. For a while I thought I might be overly sensitive, but I was in the back yard & the noise was so loud I laughed. I've talked to a couple other neighbors and I'm pretty sure they're p!ssing off most everybody.

Any pointers? I've thought about setting up a camera pointing at the house with a decible meter. Police are no stranger to the house but they haven't been around so much recently. I talked to the grandma maybe a year ago and she almost cried "you guys have nothing better to worry about?" .......I sure wish she'd do something, but her being so nice is one thing I like about her.

I feel your pain. I have the same thing but with dogs. Last night poor dog was out there in well below 0 weather barking her fool head off until nearly 02:00 Our animal control is useless all I get from them is "send us a recording". Screw that I ain't getting my big fine body outta bed to make a recording because animal control is too lazy to do the right thing by the animal. Police are useless here as well. Only county sheriff. Takes them 30 to 40 mimutes to respond to a 911 call! I have dumped in the last 2 years close to $30k into my home to improve it and I doubt I could even sell and recoup thanks to those jerks

I thought the same thing, but I don't have much hope - the mom just provides too nice of a free environment.

When I moved here >15 years ago I told the old man to kick him out (we got along real well). He passed on ~8 years ago (diabetic1/stroke complication).

You know everybody goes through similar stuff.

House across the street from my neighbor was a drug house for a while. Drug deals happening in the driveway in plain daylight. Prostitutes staying in there and being picked up by clients. It's just not easy to get people evicted, even when nobody's paying the note. Took about a year. Had a couple of interesting police raids with people flying over back fences.... All in all they didn't actually cause any trouble....although one time they did try and claim a pizza that was destined for my house and the stupid delivery person asked if they had ordered the pizza.

Buddy of mine lives in a ritzy neighborhood. Had people renting a house next to him stealing electricity and cable. He couldn't stand that he was beside himself. They weren't paying the rent and it was just really hard to get them evicted. he actually sabotaged their air conditioning in the middle of the night ......and guess what they packed up and left..... I made note of that tactic......ain't no deadbeat even going to stay in a house without air conditioning in the deep South in the summer.....

I would have tried that on the drug house across the street from my neighbor except that Central AC at already broken and they had window AC units in several windows....

Last edited:
That really sucks you have to put up with that Clint. I know most people on drugs won't listen to what you have to say.
Have you tried to talk to any of these noise makers to see if they could tone it down a little bit?

If they're anything like me as a kid, that'll just make it worse.

This will become a chance for me to practice patience, or learn to love the rev. I'm no saint either - I've had many BIG parties, and I'm known to wring out the CR250R & other bikes earlier than I should before loading up or heading out.

Looks like I just need to get ready for the high school house.

That is why we are looking into replacing all of our windows and glass sliding doors with soundproof ones.
Barking dogs day and night, motorcycles and cars and trains and when Trump is at his place, security air planes flying all hours. Oh and did I mention some of the houses in our neighborhood are rented out to college kids who like to party. And 1 block from a major highway. And the list goes on.

Hey Clint
I'm no angel, had plenty of huge parties at the old HB pad, 4 bands, 6 kegs....we invited all the neighbors...Girls free...Guys $10.00.
We used to call them rent parties, we would call the cops at about 2AM on our own party to shut it down.

After about the 12th times of doing this, The Coppers said if you call the cops on your own party one more time your all going to jail.

We Moved after a weird neighbor with a assault rifle walked in our back door saying someone broke his sliding back door with a beer bottle last night.

Yikes.

Hope you can can find a happy medium.

I saw the son out there this morning (we're almost friends), he came over & he's like "oh, I know", really nice kid but I wish he'd moved ~15 years ago. Then the mom texts me asking if he's over. I texted her & called her, basically comes down to they're kids and there's really nothing we can do. I said thanks for listening, probably best to not say anything, & I'm glad they're not as bad as I was.

There's always something to irk me, time to break out one of my favorite audiobooks on stoicism. And remember that I can't control them just myself. And I need to learn to fall to sleep easier :)

I feel your pain. I have the same thing but with dogs. Last night poor dog was out there in well below 0 weather barking her fool head off until nearly 02:00 Our animal control is useless all I get from them is "send us a recording". Screw that I ain't getting my big fine body outta bed to make a recording because animal control is too lazy to do the right thing by the animal. Police are useless here as well. Only county sheriff. Takes them 30 to 40 mimutes to respond to a 911 call! I have dumped in the last 2 years close to $30k into my home to improve it and I doubt I could even sell and recoup thanks to those jerks

I have the same problem here too. One of my next door neighbors has two dogs and they are not trained AT ALL. One barks at absolutely everything. Someone will be walking their well-behaved dog and they're a good 100 yards away, and that dammed dog will still bark her head off. Our animal control/police are about as useful as your's are. Enough said. His backyard is a complete disaster as well. He uses it as a storage area/dirt parking lot for all his toys. I really question whether I'll ever be able to sell the house regardless of how much $$ I put in to it for improvements, thanks to that guy.

My backyard neighbor built an elevated platform for his hot tub. Now all the surrounding neighbors get to enjoy the hot tub parties well into the night. Same neighbor complains to me about the giant weeds (trees and roses) in my backyard that are growing under the fence and into his yard. His kids keep pulling on them he says, so he has to yell at them "ta not ta".

I know this sounds like over the top but you can post signs for low noise area, and get a DB meter so you can record the noise levels. Then go to your police station and submit a complaint with your info.
Then you must do the same when loading your bikes or your freinds that visit.
It is a slow process but it does make life livable again.
Good luck.

Back