Get a Weber, get another Weber

Bryn Kildow

So, is this normal Weber grill behavior? I bought a WSM (haven't had a chance to cook on it--it's coming, though! Replacement for the missing thermometer is on its way and we've got 3 weeks of vacation time coming. It will happen!). My step-mom-in-law dropped off my late father-in-law's grill. Looks to be an "N" series 14" kettle. I need to replace the cooking grill because the original is trashed. What I want to know is--bought one, just received another. Do Weber grills just naturally sort of multiply? If so, I need to make some more room!

I had one years ago and that was fine, then I got another one and that was fine, I gifted the old one to wife’s nephew. Ten years on, I gave #2 to a friend that was in dire need. Got my one touch platinum almost 30 years ago. Several years ago my grand daughter leaned on the thermoplastic table and cracked it then 2013 we had terrible flatline winds which was a disaster but only flipped the lid off and I had to replace that. Then I found the 18” burgundy kettle and the “Overperformer” idea was born. Next was a deal on a Smokey joe gold as a going out of business sale item. Followed by a craigslist Go anywhere! Shortly after that, I found this site! Picked up a nicely seasoned 18” WSM from a member. I snagged a nice candidate for gasser rehab project and the same day I fell into an old, basic 22 with side table.
They seem to just show up when I’m weak! A month or so back I found a Smokey Joe “Simpson’s” with a small chip but, it has not seen any use so, it’s a garage decoration for the time being.
Hi, I’m Tim and I have “Weberitis”!

I got by just fine for twenty years with just one kettle. Then recently we found ourselves running out of grilling space, so we picked up a used Gen 3 Performer, and that’s been getting a workout. Then we picked up a 1991 OT+ to fix up and pass along to our grandson. I’m waiting on some parts to arrive, but we used that one as well yesterday for Father’s Day and, well, it sure looks like we might miss it when it’s gone. My partner swoons a little when she sees a copper kettle, so I guess I’ll be keeping my eyes open.

Bob, isn’t it funny when you were just fine for years with just one and then you find the advantage of two? Current grill count for me is down to nine! It’s crazy, just crazy!

I believe collector mentality is just part of the human instinct. If cave man needed a smooth oval rock of a certain size to make an axe, every time he found one he brought it home. He probably had a pile of 20, more than he'd ever need.

Collecting grills is nothing to worry about. Some people collect Rolexes.

I believe collector mentality is just part of the human instinct. If cave man needed a smooth oval rock of a certain size to make an axe, every time he found one he brought it home. He probably had a pile of 20, more than he'd ever need.

Collecting grills is nothing to worry about. Some people collect Rolexes.
Tim, grills are less expensive!
As far as rocks are concerned, my wife is rather like Lucy in “The Long, Long Trailer” she is allowed two five gallon buckets every summer, while we are at the cottage. We had just that commercial white crushed marble stuff around the foundation, it’s all been replaced with Lake Huron beach rocks on two sides! She has to empty last years rocks before we go back next month!

Last edited:
Yes, they do start multiplying!
My neighbors see me out in the front yard cleaning / fixing grills all the time. Now whenever they get rid of old grills they always call me up asking if I want their old one, haha. I've even had a few call to give me a heads up that other neighbors in the neighborhood have a grill out by the curb for pickup. Like they say "one man's trash is another man's treasure"

I started off with a Happy Little 22. She needed a friend so I then got a Jumbo Joe to keep her company. They had twin Smokey Joes one summer. They then invited their cousin WSM14 to come and live with them soon after.
Recently I seemed to have curbed my Weber Kettleitis, only to be inflicted with a highly contagious form of accessoryism, gadgetism and briqitis. :rolleyes:
Hi, I'm Tony and I have multiple bbq addictions. Phew, there I said it. I feel better.

Last edited:
I started off with a Happy Little 22. She needed a friend so I then got a Jumbo Joe to keep her company. They had twin Smokey Joes one summer. They then invited their cousin WSM14 to come and live with them soon after.
Recently I seemed to have curbed my Weber Kettleitis, only to be inflicted with a highly contagious form of accessoryism, gadgetism and briqitis. :rolleyes:
Hi, I'm Tony and I have multiple bbq addictions. Phew, there I said it. I feel better.
There are any number of hobbies that seem to increase the symptoms of “Gizmosis” (The desire to acquire as many gadgets and gizmos related to the hobby as humanly possible) grill related stuff has taken over a significant amount of space around here, garage, basement, kitchen, pantry, etc. Photography is another one or fishing especially fly fishing,
I’ve been infected by all of them at one time or another!

Back