Genesis

Great score, someone by me had the same grill (LP version) listed for $25. I missed out on it unfortunately.

Open cart>>cabinet.

Although I feel less that way for ng models.

Having the lp tank inside the cabinet is no bueno. Tank is best hanging on the side. Which is how the Gen II is and also how the older Gens are.

Ah! Perfect opportunity for me to flaunt my 2nd gen 2011 Genesis (first with the NS rather than EW burners) with the limited-time side extension cabinets (no longer available). It badly needs an external clean, but that hasn't had a high priority since we're still remodeling and "settling in" after 5 months. But now I just added a 10 foot offset umbrella which covers it perfectly when needed for rainy grilling, so cleaning the exterior is now a priority. (Internal ALWAYS gets routine cleaning.) The tank is inside -- that's a spare on the left.

E330.jpg

So, yes, the extensions (drooling is permitted -- my wife provided these as a Christmas gift right after they were released -- I've decided to keep her), theyprovide lots of storage, but I still need more. Eventually, I'll get my personally built custom grill cabinet in place and mounted nearby -- I'll let you know about it then.

With the extensions, I really only needed two other customizations -- both shown in these pics. The upper level grate at 7" up is a tremendous improvement. Ideal for pizza in the highest heat part of the grill with no direct flame to char the bottom. The gasket around the hood (a newer Weber replacement) eliminates the problem I had with smoke (wood chunks or pellet tube) pouring out on all sides. Now all smoke is directed out the rear vent area. Baking sheets on the lower grates can direct smoke up the front side of the hood, over the food and out the rear. Not true smoking, but great to enhance smoke flavor. The stove gasket tape is available here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SYZKD2T/?tag=tvwb-20 . (Don't try to also block that rear vent -- serious explosive possibility!)

E330 Interior.jpgE330 gasket.jpg

What I don't know about the newer Genesis models is whether they have the two-layer hood used on this one. I think I noticed that the latest Genesis may have more of an upper level grate, but not sure about that.

Several weeks ago, I said here: https://tvwbb.com/threads/happy-wsm-smoke-day.94915/#post-1097245 that I would have an umbrella on the way by day's end. That was a bit optimistic. After searching Amazon reviews, it seems that the most common complaint is that most umbrellas leak in the rain -- not what I wanted. After persisting, I finally settled on this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS439V8V/?tag=tvwb-20 . Reviews didn't mentioned leaks and this one had several folks who said they had bought another.

I posted this to my seldom used Facebook page:
Those who know me realize how much I love my grill and smoker. When we moved to the townhouse in Fearrington, the first problem was the long trip through three rooms to get out there. (Couldn't completely stop me, though.) Then when we added the door, a heavy rain could put a damper on things. Well, now both problems are resolved! This is the view from the kitchen. Took a chance after reading all the reviews about leaky umbrellas, but this one actually is watertight. Two days of heavy rain and still offering protection as I sit in the chair enjoying the rain and cooking.
🙂

Umbrella.jpg

Wish I could! We needed rain pretty badly also, but now the forecast is for high probability for days and continuing near 40-50% chance for most of the next two weeks. Hope you get some of this.

Yeah awfully crispy here as well. Funny desert gets rain we don't :) I have sprinklers out now. I worked WAY too hard to get the yards to look half decent. It's taken me nearly 4 years to bring it back from the huge drought we had back in 2006. Everyone said "oh it will come back it's just dormant" BU11$H1T. It does not come back. Especially if it's already fighting poor soils

Yeah awfully crispy here as well. Funny desert gets rain we don't :) I have sprinklers out now. I worked WAY too hard to get the yards to look half decent. It's taken me nearly 4 years to bring it back from the huge drought we had back in 2006. Everyone said "oh it will come back it's just dormant" BU11$H1T. It does not come back. Especially if it's already fighting poor soils
I am in the same boat, Larry. We have clay soil that dries as hard as a rock. I reseeded our immediate front and side yard and sure don't want to lose it now. Having to use sprinklers spewing out city water :(.

I am in the same boat, Larry. We have clay soil that dries as hard as a rock. I reseeded our immediate front and side yard and sure don't want to lose it now. Having to use sprinklers spewing out city water :(.
And the worst part is here they tie in our sewer bill with water (sewer volume is based on water usage) so while I am putting it on the lawn the waste company is charging me for it going down the drain :sneaky:

Larry, I agree with your assessment about the going dormant BS. Nine years ago we removed trees and put in a half acre lawn to help avoid ticks (my wife's alpha-gal). It was fine for a few years once I got the sod started, but after year 3, the trees overhead grew in overhead and the lawn struggled. (Not going to cut back the forest any further!) Then the big drought period hit and several days of 5" rain months apart threatened to wash the whole thing downhill (steep 30* slope). Literally, I was left with mud/dry clay for more than 50% of my yard. I began experimenting with various options to replace the zoysia, but it still took 4 years and a massive amount of work to find the right balance and save my yard. Total cost for just grass: @$15K not including my labor.

So I got the lawn back in good shape just in time to sell and move out. <sigh> It may have helped with the sale -- but the new owners plan to remove most my 2500 sq ft deck and a big part of the lawn to put in a swimming pool and terrace!

Meanwhile, for less than the cost of my former monthly lawn/yard maintenance, my HOA fee maintains the large lawn area around our miniscule back yard (no grass) and I've stopped worrying about it all. Honestly, you wouldn't believe what a relief that has proved to be over the past 5 months! So I can empathize, but...

And the worst part is here they tie in our sewer bill with water (sewer volume is based on water usage) so while I am putting it on the lawn the waste company is charging me for it going down the drain :sneaky:
My sewer use bill is based on water use in Dec / Jan.

Yah, probably so until our well goes dry or gets polluted maybe. I still enjoy the freedom of not having the foot of the man on my neck.

Back