Genesis

I'm on Lake Michigan water and my bill is insane even without watering, which I try to keep to a minimum. The only good thing about these droughts is not having to cut the grass.
You likely live in the Mt Prospect, Palatine what have you area. Back in the day many of the homes there were on private wells, then on municipal well then as those wells became too expensive the burbs contracted to nearby burbs to Chicago, which were already paying pretty high rates to Chicago and saw a way to offset their higher rates by ripping off the further out burbs by "subcontracting". So the high water rates. Our village just had to drill and put online a new well. So big bucks for us

You likely live in the Mt Prospect, Palatine what have you area. Back in the day many of the homes there were on private wells, then on municipal well then as those wells became too expensive the burbs contracted to nearby burbs to Chicago, which were already paying pretty high rates to Chicago and saw a way to offset their higher rates by ripping off the further out burbs by "subcontracting". So the high water rates. Our village just had to drill and put online a new well. So big bucks for us
You're correct. I live in the town I grew up in and we were on a municipal well until sometime in the 80's. I remember water rationing during droughts and of course water softeners and having to carry that salt block downstairs to the tank. The house I live in now still had the water softener in the basement when I moved in and I took it out and redid the pipes.

You're correct. I live in the town I grew up in and we were on a municipal well until sometime in the 80's. I remember water rationing during droughts and of course water softeners and having to carry that salt block downstairs to the tank. The house I live in now still had the water softener in the basement when I moved in and I took it out and redid the pipes.
Yeah my dad's house in Arlington Hts, had a softener in the basement when he bought it in 1993. It was bypassed and the house I bought here in Cherry Valley needed a softener. So I took his old Rainsoft. They were made in Bloomingdale or Roselle many years ago. That thing turned out to be a "bust" because it went unused for so long it puked out all it's resin bed throughout my plumbing.

Yeah my dad's house in Arlington Hts, had a softener in the basement when he bought it in 1993. It was bypassed and the house I bought here in Cherry Valley needed a softener. So I took his old Rainsoft. They were made in Bloomingdale or Roselle many years ago. That thing turned out to be a "bust" because it went unused for so long it puked out all it's resin bed throughout my plumbing.
When you are on well water, having a working water softener is not optional. I owned a rental house out near you in Belvidere that the tenant stopped putting salt in the softener. It ruined the dishwasher and the rust stains in all the sinks and toilets were something to behold.

When you are on well water, having a working water softener is not optional. I owned a rental house out near you in Belvidere that the tenant stopped putting salt in the softener. It ruined the dishwasher and the rust stains in all the sinks and toilets were something to behold.
Oh, yeah. The aquifers here hold really good water but REALLY hard and lots of iron.

Back