Genesis Silver A B C conversion to charcoal

I do believe that Weber made a kettle that ran on gas way back in the day.....like 1980's. But, if I recall correctly, it was prone to problems and had a short run. But, today, they are "collectible".
Parents had one. Buddy had one as well. They were awful appliances. And I cannot express awful strongly enough. Why anyone wants to collect them is beyond me, but then people like to collect one of the worst cars ever made the Edsel. Not only bad but UUUUUUGLY as sin

Parents had one. Buddy had one as well. They were awful appliances. And I cannot express awful strongly enough. Why anyone wants to collect them is beyond me, but then people like to collect one of the worst cars ever made the Edsel. Not only bad but UUUUUUGLY as sin
Yep, most people don't say a lot good about them. As a hopeless collector I would still like to own one just for show and tell. It was a part of Weber's story, and its lack of market success did at least lead to George :george: agreeing to start engineering on the non-kettle shaped Genesis. So, it did one thing well!

I had one of the "gasser kettles" many years ago. It was just OK. I would take any of Webers modern
gas grills over it now. YMMV.

Well, I for one would rather see somebody somehow modify a kettle to run on gas.
Believe it or not, there are some that bought Performers thinking they could grill with the gas assist. Weber did offer a propane fueled kettle.

Bill, I bought a performer off a guy and asked: "Does the gas assist work?" His reply was: "yah, as far as I know, but I never use it because it doesn't get hot enough to cook my food."

You could just set a Weber Go Anywhere Charcoal grill inside the Genesis, lol

Yep - and it works! With Weber and things being made with dimensions that seem to be interchangeable a Go Anywhere will fit exactly inside a earlier 3 burner Genesis or Spirit. The legs slip through the grates exactly and rest on the flavourers so its lower down, vertical and a better height for cooking than propped up on top of the grates horizontally.

Then you can do coals/searing on one side of the bbq and then gas if you want all in one place.

IMG_4918a.jpg

IMG_4919.JPG
2AF7E55B-3CAA-4DA2-BC93-EF37ECD5823A.jpeg

Last edited:
t0sG1c6.jpg

Foil will not work as it needs direct access to burners to light. I suppose once it is lit well you could pull it out then foil over burners. To tell the truth I purchased it over the winter and just moved so I have not had a chance to try it out yet myself. It is at the end of my very very long todo list. I just got my computer hooked back up. I don't even have garage doors, and have to drive back to Richmond to cut the grass, as the old place goes up for sale this weekend.

Back