Genesis Platinum

If you happen to have one of those wire rack bottoms in your inventory that grill could be perfect. Just add your bargain (and, again, really nice:D) stainless rod grates and new flavorizers if it needs them and you will have a really stunning grill. Redheads are great, but I still prefer brunettes:cool:!

Jon: Yah, I am sure I can scrounge up a wire rack. I am going to have to part out a couple grills anyway. I suppose I could put a different hood on that grill as well. I have maroon, black blue, red and maybe another color. But, if the hood is good, which it looks to be, no reason to change it, especially since it is the more modern style with the deeper curves across the top.

I am going to offer $25 and see what he says. It will have been on the market for a solid week and he lives out in the country, so he is probably having trouble getting a lot of interest. But, it all depends on if it is still there Monday.

Jon: Yah, I am sure I can scrounge up a wire rack. I am going to have to part out a couple grills anyway. I suppose I could put a different hood on that grill as well. I have maroon, black blue, red and maybe another color. But, if the hood is good, which it looks to be, no reason to change it, especially since it is the more modern style with the deeper curves across the top.

I am going to offer $25 and see what he says. It will have been on the market for a solid week and he lives out in the country, so he is probably having trouble getting a lot of interest. But, it all depends on if it is still there Monday.

I'm not at all sure that the bottom pan is even rusted. Kind of looks like it's just really dirty. That's a steal at $50

If it isn't rusted, that is fine. I can clean it up and repaint it if necessary to resell it. But, if it was my grill, it would have a wire rack.
Anyway, it looks to me like that grill was not used very much and was kept pretty good care of in it's early life. It looks like it has recently been left uncovered when not in use. My guess is that the cooking grates, flavorizer bars and burners as well as the igniter are all original.

It would be a good start. I think if they had just stuck to wood slats or a wire rack down there they would have never had all the rust issues. My Summit shows none of those issues but the bottom is a wire rack. I love how neat and clean a closed cart looks too. Of course the Wolf has no rust because every last piece of it is SS.

Even with holes in the bottom, it would still rust. The newer E310s have the large hole for the propane tank as well as other vents in the bottom but it doesn't matter. Water still pools and when dirt and crud get in side there, it just soaks up the water and it sits there.

4Mx6zzp.jpg

If you happen to have one of those wire rack bottoms in your inventory that grill could be perfect. Just add your bargain (and, again, really nice:D) stainless rod grates and new flavorizers if it needs them and you will have a really stunning grill. Redheads are great, but I still prefer brunettes:cool:!

Do you guys have a source for cheap grates to put in grills to resell? Porcelain or SS.

Even with holes in the bottom, it would still rust. The newer E310s have the large hole for the propane tank as well as other vents in the bottom but it doesn't matter. Water still pools and when dirt and crud get in side there, it just soaks up the water and it sits there.

4Mx6zzp.jpg

I can never figure out what about this design causes this. I have an ep330 and I left it out in rain 2 days and that's all it took to start rusting. There are many enclosed cart designs why is this special like this?

I can never figure out what about this design causes this. I have an ep330 and I left it out in rain 2 days and that's all it took to start rusting. There are many enclosed cart designs why is this special like this?

The bottom line is that the steel used probably wasn’t the greatest, but realistically the only way for a cabinet under a grill to last is using high quality stainless. I agree with Larry that a wire rack bottom would help a lot, but as on his Wolf, all stainless is the right solution. The only Weber (not including the Vieluxe) that had this was the short-lived Summit Platinum.

Ok folks, so I'm stuck in a dilemma...I am in the process of restoring a Genesis Gold B (the one with the beefier frame, maroon hood and side tables) and lo and behold I find this...

https://offerup.com/item/detail/485166548/

Now my question is...which one would you prefer and why? I really would like both of them but I can only do one because this next one that I rehab will be my fourth grill. I like the Gold B because of the beefier frame and I like the Platinum C because of the mostly stainless steel cart (the good stainless) and a side burner. Decisions decisions....

Platinum.
But, why not both. Rehab them both and sell one. You will probably make enough on selling one to pay for both that way.

That platinum is pretty high, but looks very well taken care of and comes with new burners and I see a really good looking set of SS rod grates. Offer $125.

Yah, $140 is high but I'm going to start at $70 and see if the seller budges. As you saw already it does come with SS grates and I do have a set of RC's bars for that model so I'm set in that dept. and they did install new OEM burners so their asking price of $140 is not bad IMO. If the cabinet is rust free or has minimal rust then I may just go for it as this will be another keeper grill for me and that's it LOL.

Just one more until you find another one. :)

I agree. See what happens with a $70 offer. A lot of times, those guys just want to get rid of it because they bought a new one and don't want it taking up space in the garage. They list it high because they don't really know the market and they don't want to price it too low. If he doesn't take $70, he might take $90 a couple days later after the wife tells him to get rid of that piece of junk in the garage.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Both grills are top drawer versions of the Genesis. I guess it comes down to whether your taste is more for the classic style of the older grills or whether the stainless frame trumps that for you. I myself do generally like the older grills the best, but I think of the stainless frame Platinum - a two years only run - as also historical. The modern design is very practical and the gray accents I think are cool because this is the only original style Genesis with that. Either way you can’t go wrong and both would be the ultimate:cool:

Yah, I will be getting the Platinum but have to decide which one to keep. I am leaning more towards keeping the Platinum because of the stainless frame. I am going to flip the Gold B once it's completed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Gold B (with the Summit frame) is also historical as it was on a limited run as well.

Last edited:
Yah, I will be getting the Platinum but have to decide which one to keep. I am leaning more towards keeping the Platinum because of the stainless frame. I am going to flip the Gold B once it's completed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Gold B (with the Summit frame) is also historical as it was on a limited run as well.

Sam,
Absolutely that IS a very special and historical grill. If I had both I would be hard pressed to choose one to part with:confused:!

Back