Genesis Platinum Series II Restoration started

Just use an angle grinder and cut them to length. Be sure to have a nut on it though so you basically take the nut off after the cut and the threads are now "chased". I do this all the time

Thank you! I got fleeced by Lowes. I found everything to fit and for much less expensive (even after shipping) from Bolt Depot.com. I had also ordered some stuff from eReplacementParts.com before checking with Weber - I just assumed the parts for my grill were so old that Weber wouldn't have them. They did, and for less and much less in S&H. Clearly I haven't learned the 'in's and out's' of economical restores. It's only my first few posts here. : )

Just use an angle grinder and cut them to length. Be sure to have a nut on it though so you basically take the nut off after the cut and the threads are now "chased". I do this all the time

Thanks Larry:
I never thought of putting the nut on before shortening a bolt. That is such a simple idea. I just hope I remember it next time I have to shorten a bolt...LOL.

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he is using a nut as a chaser so that any damage to the threads on the severed area is repaired.

Jkim: Yes, that is how I understood his suggestion. To use the nut to chase the threads after cutting off the bolt. I had done it many time in the past over the years and almost every time, I had a hard time getting a nut to go onto the bolt afterwards.

Thanks Larry:
I never thought of putting the nut on before shortening a bolt. That is such a simple idea. I just hope I remember it next time I have to shorten a bolt...LOL.

In a previous life I was a mechanic, so it's an old trick many mechanics and trades people use. Still do quite a bit of my own work but I'll tell ya it's getting harder to do stuff and this big fine body just doesn't contort like it did 45 years ago. Plus ad to that how poorly aftermarket stuff is made today. Many times I find myself opting to have stuff done. Last brake job I did on one of my Toyota's about killed me due to how badly the parts were made from Advance Auto Parts. Also how badly the counter people took care of things forgetting things in my order, and all kinds of stuff. Next time I just go to Toyota dealer. Either to have it done or to get the parts.

That grill looks so awesome, you went all out on that one!

Thanks Steve.
I am slowly starting my next restore and will finish it up over the Fall/Winter months. I just finished cleaning up the lid and painting the end caps. I put it on the Platinum to get an idea what it'll look like.

qwzPAUJ.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, what are the outside dimensions on the Platinum II? There's one for sale in Worcester and I'm trying to figure out if it'll fit in the Outback. I've fit a 3200 before with the lid removed...but i know the frame and work tables on this are different. If you happened to know the height from the ground to the lid hinge too that would help a ton...thanks!

Kevin,
If that's the one in Webster I saw it and it looks to be in real nice shape.

I know mine is 70" wide and it fit it in the back of my Honda Pilot with the lid on.

I will get you those measurements to the lid hinge when I get Home from work.

Jeff

LOL Jeff, I saw the same one and came to this thread to tell people about the one in Webster, of course there are people that already know about it.

Jeff, what are the outside dimensions on the Platinum II? There's one for sale in Worcester and I'm trying to figure out if it'll fit in the Outback. I've fit a 3200 before with the lid removed...but i know the frame and work tables on this are different. If you happened to know the height from the ground to the lid hinge too that would help a ton...thanks!

Kevin,
Just walked in. Here are those dimensions:

69" wide
39" to top of hinge (lid removed)
24" deep (shelf measurement)

Post some pics when you get her Home!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Hate to say it, but I think it's going to be a hair too big for my car...hope it finds a good home!

So...
Which one of you guys bought that Webster Platinum? I don't see it listed anymore.

Jeff

I bought it. Weber Model 3400 Platinum II. Seller said he paid $1,400 for it originally. The seller was kind enough to load it and drive to my house 30 minutes away. Paid $110 including the delivery. The seller also included a cover (in pretty rough shape) and a box from Weber that was still sealed and the owner had no recollection of what was inside. I opened the box and was shocked to see two brand new bubble wrapped grill ends and a package of all needed bolts and nuts to attach the lid.

I took it completely apart and there is a ton of work to be done. The porcelain lid cleaned up quite nicely. And with the brand new ends my lid will look great. I think I got quite a deal considering the free end pieces.

I have ordered some parts and supplies and will continue the project after my vacation next week.

This is my second refurb. I did an 1100 that my wife bought me 18 years ago before we were married. I will post in a different thread about that refurb.

Before pics:

Peter

Last edited:

Back