Genesis Platinum C vs Summit Platinum D6

MikeD_Mrd5

All,

So over the weekend I managed to refurb a free Genesis Silver C and grafted in parts from my tree-damaged Silver C to cobble together a decent working grill, but I'm starting to rethink my long term situation.

From my years of owning a Silver C, I'm biased but I really like the ergonomics of the left & right side flip tables surrounding you when you're working at the grill. Based on that (and the fact that parts and donors seem plentiful) I was gonna start searching for a decent Genesis Platinum C. That said, I saw a Summit Platinum D6 for sale which really caught my eye but I'm wondering about the ergonomics of the layout. With the control knobs in the front that places you further from the cooking surface and you have less of that "wrap-around-feel" with side tables. NOTE: The D6 that I found is actually new/unused (not sure how since this is a ~2005 vintage?!)) so no refurb req'd.

I'm just curious if anyone had some feedback on the layout of the Genesis C's vs the Summit D6's.

Thanks!
-Mike

Two downsides to the Summit. First, the front panel in the cook box where the burners go through will eventually start to deteriorate to a point that you will have flames exiting the cook box. Parts are not available to replace them either. Second, they N/S burners which to a purist gas griller is not as desireable as E/W burners like on the Silver C. That being said, that grill was probably around $2000 and they are very good grilling machines.

If you like the Silver C and want the ultimate, wait for a 2005-2006 Genesis Platinum C and you will have a fully stainless steel frame. The cabinet will be rusted, but if you remove it, you have a great forever grill.20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (1).JPG

I don't blame Larry for saying that. However, IF that Summit really is unused or almost unused, with its all stainless frame and cabinetry I would be tempted if the price was right.

From the pictures, the Summit looks brand new including factory stickers. Its listed for $1000, which is crazy, but has me wondering how low I could talk ‘em down.

Thanks for the feedback.

The other consideration is that I just found a genesis platinum natural gas that is very tempting but it’s a B without the side burner. I have a spare propane burner from my tree-damaged silver C so I suppose I could try to convert my side burner and add it on. Even better would be finding a platinum NG side burner but I’d probably have better luck buying a winning lottery ticket,... unless someone on here has a genesis platinum NG side burner they’d like to sell. 😀 💰

Last edited:
Bruce,

I'm not 100% sure what year, but I'm assuming 2005? Attached is a picture from their ad

I don't suppose you have a lead on a matching NG platinum side burner I could buy, would ya?? That would be awesome!

-Mike

platinum B_2.jpg

I have a NG side burner off a Silver C that should fit. But it would be black.

I also have two SS Platinum grills with side burners but they are LP.
It is possible that all it would take to change them to NG would be a different orifice on the side burner valve. But, I don't know for sure. It has something to do with the valve. You could contact LMicheals and see if he can give you some direction on that. If so, I might be willing to work something out for one of them.

Bruce

I've personally done LP to NG conversions a couple times (including a fireplace logset and a pool heater refurb conversion) so I'd be comfortable doing it if I had a little guidance.

Larry can I trouble you for a little insight?

t0sG1c6.jpg

The side burner valve is just like the valve on your home stove. So just like a home stove it is a simple orifice change. Unlike the grill portion which CAN be as simple as orifice only or as complicated as mods to the valves internals

OK, great then that would be a simple change. I am pretty sure they use the same orifices as the cook box burner valves and I have spares.

No they don't Bruce. The actual orifice size is much different due to the different BTU of the side burner and on some they use "hooded" orifices (basically they look like a brass condom). But the valves are always the type that are not "stepped" so conversion is as simple as matching orifice size to gas flow need depending on the gas used

Just when I think I have a tiny bit of the whole mess figured out. But, I am sure I could swap the Silver C NG side burner orifice into a Platinum C LP side burner and we would be good? Correct?

Back