Genesis Platinum C vs Summit Platinum D6

All,

So over the weekend I managed to refurb a free Genesis Silver C and grafted in parts from my tree-damaged Silver C to cobble together a decent working grill, but I'm starting to rethink my long term situation.

From my years of owning a Silver C, I'm biased but I really like the ergonomics of the left & right side flip tables surrounding you when you're working at the grill. Based on that (and the fact that parts and donors seem plentiful) I was gonna start searching for a decent Genesis Platinum C. That said, I saw a Summit Platinum D6 for sale which really caught my eye but I'm wondering about the ergonomics of the layout. With the control knobs in the front that places you further from the cooking surface and you have less of that "wrap-around-feel" with side tables. NOTE: The D6 that I found is actually new/unused (not sure how since this is a ~2005 vintage?!)) so no refurb req'd.

I'm just curious if anyone had some feedback on the layout of the Genesis C's vs the Summit D6's.

Thanks!
-Mike

I just went through the same process you are dealing with. I have a Genesis Platinum and picked up a D6 that was 7/10 for $50 (with a propane tank!!) for research purposes. Impressions from a side by side use:

The Summit is a hell of a machine and has a solid stainless cart and frame. the grill get HOT in a hurry and has miles of cooking surface with the best grates Weber ever made. I love the little smoker box option. The whole grill really does give you an ultra premium vibe. I did not find that the controls were inconvenient. For me the SIZE was way too big and became a bit hard to cook with so many temperature zones, but your needs and skills may vary. The rotisserie infrared burner is neat, but again, exceeded my needs.

Unfortunately when you start to take the Summit apart for cleaning, you really see that the Genesis is the far superior grill. The D6 box has so many burners is is hard to clean. Being front mounted makes it a real hassle to remove the burners or even get between them to push all the crud down into the tray. Just everything is an awkward design. The firebox is cast aluminum on the sides but the back, front, and bottom are porcelain coated steel and just feel very... cheap. the catch tray under the grill is about 4 feet long and a real annoyance to clean and remove. The flavorizer bars are trash. The way they are designed they either fall apart or stick together randomly, and you can't really easily clean them.

End of the day I would pass at anything over maybe $250 for that new-old Summit. The cart is top notch, but the firebox has big time CharBroil rust bucket vibes inside and the countdown timer starts the first day it is exposed to humidity.

Bruce you could BUT only if the orifice is of the same "type" and fitment. Like I said I have discovered 3 different kinds of valves on basically the same Weber side burners. You could swap in the entire valve assembly if you wanted to. I just did that for someone (Joe A IIRC) I sent him an entire valve and it's basically plug and play

OK, I will make sure the orifice holes are the same size before I do the swap.....If I do the swap.

I just went through the same process you are dealing with. I have a Genesis Platinum and picked up a D6 that was 7/10 for $50 (with a propane tank!!) for research purposes. Impressions from a side by side use:

The Summit is a hell of a machine and has a solid stainless cart and frame. the grill get HOT in a hurry and has miles of cooking surface with the best grates Weber ever made. I love the little smoker box option. The whole grill really does give you an ultra premium vibe. I did not find that the controls were inconvenient. For me the SIZE was way too big and became a bit hard to cook with so many temperature zones, but your needs and skills may vary. The rotisserie infrared burner is neat, but again, exceeded my needs.

Unfortunately when you start to take the Summit apart for cleaning, you really see that the Genesis is the far superior grill. The D6 box has so many burners is is hard to clean. Being front mounted makes it a real hassle to remove the burners or even get between them to push all the crud down into the tray. Just everything is an awkward design. The firebox is cast aluminum on the sides but the back, front, and bottom are porcelain coated steel and just feel very... cheap. the catch tray under the grill is about 4 feet long and a real annoyance to clean and remove. The flavorizer bars are trash. The way they are designed they either fall apart or stick together randomly, and you can't really easily clean them.

End of the day I would pass at anything over maybe $250 for that new-old Summit. The cart is top notch, but the firebox has big time CharBroil rust bucket vibes inside and the countdown timer starts the first day it is exposed to humidity.
Brandon,

Thanks for the insight. I think you helped solidify for me that the Genesis Platinum is the way to go. We're a family of four and I consume most of what goes on the grill so the D6 sounds like it would be beyond overkill not to mention the drawbacks of the design. If It was offered for cheap then I might think otherwise but the asking price is ridiculous.

I'm hoping that Bruce might be able to pull a rabbit out of his hat so I can turn a Genesis Platinum B into a C.

BTW, this forum is awesome. I really appreciate everyone's help!
-Mike

Back