Genesis II vs Napoleon Prestige

A lot of people here seem to really hate the build quality of the newer generation of Webers, but I wouldn't say Napoleon is the answer to all your Weber grievances either.

Of the North American brands like Weber, Napoleon, and Broil King, I think they all cook well, but build quality varies depending on the model, cost, and complexity of the design. Low end Napoleon Legends are known to be complete rust buckets. I'm not impressed by their Legend, Triumph, or Rogue line either. I like the Prestige but they are pricey, have complex construction, and a painted steel chassis. If you want it to last a long time, then you will also have to keep up with cleanings, maintenance, and also keep it out of the rain.

I don't think there's many grills designed to last 20+ years anymore. Most have too many parts, and too many ferrous components.

Last edited:
I’ve been debating this too. Had an old q320 that I’m finally going to replace and got looking at the Genesis II line. I like the SE models that come with the thicker stainless grates...had the q for more than 10 years and replaced the CI grates a couple times. Would rather pay up front for the better grates and not worry about them down the road. Also think I’d use the sear station a fair amount, so probably leaning towards SE 330 or 335...still not sure which bottom style I prefer. I honestly don’t think I’d use the side burner though, and for $100 less than an SE 330 Ace sells the E 325 in the indigo blue...doors on bottom with CI grates and sear station, no side burner. Could go that route and add a set of Grillgrates.

I’d be primarily grilling boneless skinless chicken breasts, fair amount of steaks, and burgers and chops from time to time. On paper the versatility of being able to use the flat side or rails on the Grillgrates sound good, any input on actual use?

On the Napoleon side I think the Rogue XT 3 burner with side sear station is what I’d lean towards. CI grates, and to get stainless you’ve gotta jump up in price quite a bit to get them. Aside from the larger sear burner I don’t think any of the other upgrades are ones with I’d need. I could also add Grillgrates to the Napoleon.

The ignition system on the Napoleons does look impressive. I like how if one burner blows out in the wind it will automatically relight. Cool concept but probably doesn’t happen nearly as often as you think it would.

Either will be a welcome upgrade, and intend on getting a similar lifespan out of whatever I go with...just think I’m splitting hairs at this point and just need to make a decision.

If I were to part with the kind of money we are talking about for a new grill, it would be the Napoleon Prestige 500RSIB. Comes with cast aluminum fire box, rotisserie, NAPOLEON LIMITED LIFETIME BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY and parts that are not covered by that are for 15 years! And lets not forget that lovely IR Sear Burner on the side.... That thing will put a crust on any steak. I saw a used NG one for sale at a pretty reasonable price. If it was closer I would have bought it and tried a LP conversion on it. Even though like Weber it is not sanctioned. It seems only Charbroil of all brands, sell kits for their grills. Go figure.

Nope, Weber doesn’t sell conversion kits or authorize owners to do them. They are afraid of liability from botched jobs, and probably justifiably so.

Mentioning North American made grills, Broilmaster should be brought back up. Yes their classic original is homely. But it is a powerful cooker that can also do indirect bbq, and for longevity it has no rival. All cast aluminum firebox AND hood and available with an all 304 stainless cart. Awesome 304 stainless “waterfall” grates, too. They still make this grill, although they have more recently come out with a modern, all stainless model.

The ignition system on the Napoleons does look impressive. I like how if one burner blows out in the wind it will automatically relight. Cool concept but probably doesn’t happen nearly as often as you think it would.
Actually it happens more than you might think. It's one of those features I still am puzzled by the lack of. Honestly I am surprised that out gummint hasn't stepped it and mandated it (like they do with so many other things they step in/on) to "help" us :D

Actually it happens more than you might think. It's one of those features I still am puzzled by the lack of. Honestly I am surprised that out gummint hasn't stepped it and mandated it (like they do with so many other things they step in/on) to "help" us :D
I think the cross over tubes are a good idea even if I have never had a land based grill have a burner blow out. I have on boats. However those cross over tubes are the bane of a grill owner / flipper. They are the first to ware out. I think they may be even worse than ignitions. Why cant they make them a little larger and put a dam flavorizer over them for protection! Those little metal protection tabs don't do squat.

A lot of people here seem to really hate the build quality of the newer generation of Webers, but I wouldn't say Napoleon is the answer to all your Weber grievances either.

Of the North American brands like Weber, Napoleon, and Broil King, I think they all cook well, but build quality varies depending on the model, cost, and complexity of the design. Low end Napoleon Legends are known to be complete rust buckets. I'm not impressed by their Legend, Triumph, or Rogue line either. I like the Prestige but they are pricey, have complex construction, and a painted steel chassis. If you want it to last a long time, then you will also have to keep up with cleanings, maintenance, and also keep it out of the rain.

I don't think there's many grills designed to last 20+ years anymore. Most have too many parts, and too many ferrous components.
I think a company like Weber could easily build a 20 year grill like they used to. Simple, with quality components. Now a days they put too much money into bells and whistles and not enough into materials IMO. I guess they are trying to follow what the general grill buying public is looking for. Sit a $500 Weber plain Jane grill with no frills next to a $200 shiny Chinese tin can with electronics on it and you probably lose out 4 of 5 times. Those other 1 of 5 buyers are the market we are looking for with our Genesis 1000 and Silver B rehabs.

I think a company like Weber could easily build a 20 year grill like they used to. Simple, with quality components. Now a days they put too much money into bells and whistles and not enough into materials IMO. I guess they are trying to follow what the general grill buying public is looking for. Sit a $500 Weber plain Jane grill with no frills next to a $200 shiny Chinese tin can with electronics on it and you probably lose out 4 of 5 times. Those other 1 of 5 buyers are the market we are looking for with our Genesis 1000 and Silver B rehabs.
As someone on this forum made clear to me, we are the exceptions. Most people do not want to take apart a dirty gross grill once or twice a year and clean it up. They are happy spending less, not maintaining it, and have a excuse to buy a new shiny one in a few years. I picked up a free Weber about a month ago from a very well-to-do household. When I inquired what his new grill was, he said a cheapo big box store one. I was quite surprised to say the least. I really wanted to vent on him in the worst way, but somehow held my tong as he was giving me a free grill.

Joe, I totally agree about buyers comfortable with buying a throw away grill every couple years knowing they won't have to bother to ever clean it out in the mean time. I have stated that a couple times on here myself. I also ask a lot of people that I pick up rehabs from and I get a good range of replacement grills for their 15-20 year old Weber. Sometimes they go with the $200 NexGrill or sometimes they have a $2000 behemoth sitting on the deck. A few have the new Genesis II. I am surprised to NOT see a lot of Weber loyalty in their choice for a replacement grill however. One thing I have noticed the last year or two is people going with different style grills more and more such as smokers and pellet grills.

I was thinking of starting a new thread on this topic of "the future of grilling and flipping" as a lot of the grills I have picked up were replaced by pellet grills. It seems that a lot of new types of grills (some innovative) are coming out replacing the kettles and old gassers. On one hand this is great for us flippers getting free / cheap castaways, on the other hand will there be much of a market for our restored grills in the future? Things do look good short term IMHO. Long term - Maybe. I bet there will be a bunch of broken dirty pellet grills in our futures.

While grabbing some of these newer and fancier grills seems exciting from a rehab perspective, I don't think it will be good for rehabbers. The simplicity and parts availability of the old ones is what makes them good rehab candidates.
I think our supply of those grills is good for a while yet, there will come a time when a Genesis 1000 is considered a "unicorn".

While grabbing some of these newer and fancier grills seems exciting from a rehab perspective, I don't think it will be good for rehabbers. The simplicity and parts availability of the old ones is what makes them good rehab candidates.
I think our supply of those grills is good for a while yet, there will come a time when a Genesis 1000 is considered a "unicorn".
Bruce,
Around here the X000's are already unicorns. In doing this for about 2 years I have only come across 1 deep box Weber.

That is not the case where I live. I see plenty of Genesis 1000's on the sale sites....even free. I don't know how that compares to the Silver/Gold B/C grills, but it is probably fairly similar. They are usually cheaper than the Silver B's as well. Of course, they are also usually in more distress than a newer Silver B.

Yah, it is, I am sure. The regionality seems to apply to resale of flip grills as well. In some areas you can't get $200 for a well rehabbed Genesis and in some areas, you can sell them for $300 and more and can't rehab them fast enough.

Yah, it is, I am sure. The regionality seems to apply to resale of flip grills as well. In some areas you can't get $200 for a well rehabbed Genesis and in some areas, you can sell them for $300 and more and can't rehab them fast enough.
Affluenza? Likely that the amount of disposable income varies, depending upon the area...

Back in the Microsoft heyday, when he was the richest man in the world, we used to argue that if Bill Gates was walking along and saw a $20 bill laying on the ground, would it be worth his time to stop and pick it up?

I don't see many complete x000's series deep box grills here in New England. Maybe 1 out of 5 is complete enough to fix up. The bulk of the deep boxes have oxidized fireboxes after 20 plus years

I think you are more likely to see the very early Genesis grills in the Midwest, closer to Weber's home base. I still see them pop up around me in Indiana and Illinois.

I think a new thread about the future of grilling would be pretty interesting. There is no question to me that grilling is changing, particularly with the rapid emergence of pellet grills. I don't personally think your typical pellet grill will make a good rehab candidate. I was originally hoping that in 5 years, some nice Genesis II grills will be popping up all over so that I could get the crimson special edition open cart version. From what I am seeing here, though, it sounds like even a gas Weber will be hard to restore with these newer models. And forget those newest ones coming out with the electronics built in.

For flipping, I hope to make a really good stab at doing several x000, wood slat grills and listing them at fairly strong prices to warrant all the extra work. I am hoping there are a few - I don't need that many - people out there that will pay to have a grill akin to a classic Jaguar vs. another tin can from the front of Lowes or Home Depot. If I am not successful, I will have to rethink what I doing and work on reducing inventory and just being content to be a collector.

I was thinking of starting a new thread on this topic of "the future of grilling and flipping" as a lot of the grills I have picked up were replaced by pellet grills. It seems that a lot of new types of grills (some innovative) are coming out replacing the kettles and old gassers. On one hand this is great for us flippers getting free / cheap castaways, on the other hand will there be much of a market for our restored grills in the future? Things do look good short term IMHO. Long term - Maybe. I bet there will be a bunch of broken dirty pellet grills in our futures.
Joe: I see pictured below your comments images of a WeberQ 3200 and Weber Performer; so, I may purchase a new Weber Q in the near future here in Costa Rica to set along-side my Weber Performer Deluxe. Due to limited space on my patio I am leaning towards the Weber Q 1200 for grilling up some steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. when not wanting to fuss with the charcoal grill.

However, the Weber Q 3200 is somewhat attractive in that it comes complete with a stand even though it may be "overkill" for my simple grilling needs for just wife, the dog and I.

Question, why did you go for the Weber Q 3200 over the smaller Weber Q's?

Back