Genesis E-310 too hot...

MarcHershey

Complete diy novice here especially regarding grills but we have 2013 Genesis E-310 and the temperature is burning way too hot all of a sudden & I can’t figure out why. Even turned down to low, temp is about 500 and I can see orange flames. I hate to scrap the grill since it’s in good shape otherwise so wondering if anyone has any tips on what to try? I’ve wire brushed the burner tubes and then used an exacto tip to make sure the openings are all clear. Also replaced the hose & regulator. The only other things we’ve replaced on grill are flavorizer bars, heat deflectors and rack back in 2018 but this is a recent issue so I don’t think it’s tied into any of that. If anyone has some tips on what my next step would be, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Complete diy novice here especially regarding grills but we have 2013 Genesis E-310 and the temperature is burning way too hot all of a sudden & I can’t figure out why. Even turned down to low, temp is about 500 and I can see orange flames. I hate to scrap the grill since it’s in good shape otherwise so wondering if anyone has any tips on what to try? I’ve wire brushed the burner tubes and then used an exacto tip to make sure the openings are all clear. Also replaced the hose & regulator. The only other things we’ve replaced on grill are flavorizer bars, heat deflectors and rack back in 2018 but this is a recent issue so I don’t think it’s tied into any of that. If anyone has some tips on what my next step would be, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Have you taken the tubes out? If not take them out and check the ends by the valves as critters could have messed them up which will screw with the O2 mix and possibly create the problem. If you do take them out give them a good scrubbing with steel wool and hose them inside and outside, let them drip dry a little and light them back up. Maybe others have will have suggestions as well.

Critters clogging the burner tubes can cause disruption in fuel air mixture but while it would cause big orange flames it means the grill would run too cool not too hot. Something else may be going on or you may be interpreting the large orange flames for being too hot

Critters clogging the burner tubes can cause disruption in fuel air mixture but while it would cause big orange flames it means the grill would run too cool not too hot. Something else may be going on or you may be interpreting the large orange flames for being too hot
What made me think of the critters was my side burner. Remember you sent me the new orifice (thanks again) well I have 3 side burners now and non of them worked correctly. 2 have yellow flames shooting up as I posted in a picture. The latest is a NG one that I got yesterday. The NG one had way more thrust but better flames than the 2 supposedly LP ones and I kept scratching my bald head. I bought new regulators (had an old style one that came with the Gen 5 that leaked) - Same issue. Tonight I took the side burner apart and could not really see an issue but jammed a metal wire down the tube a bunch of times, reassembled and voila. It works great now. There was some critters nest in there causing yellow flames shooting up. Now I have to do the other one and try that orifice on the NG one. So much fun - so much time.

Heating power is controlled by gas pressure and orifice size. If the flames on all burners look similar, I would guess your gas pressure is too high. Try swapping in a new gas regulator.

BTW, is it a natural gas or propane bbq grill?

Last edited:
Heating power is controlled by gas pressure and orifice size. If the flames on all burners look similar, I would guess your gas pressure is too high. Try swapping in a new gas regulator.

BTW, is it a natural gas or propane bbq grill?
Thanks for the reply! It’s a propane grill and I just switched out the hose and regulator yesterday and still have issue with high temps.

my next thought was to replace burner tubes but if they were issue, I wouldn’t think the temp would be high, I would expect it would be running low? I’m just not sure what else would be causing the temp to be so high...the only way I can get it to 350-400 range is to only light one burner and turn it down low.

Bottom line "orange flames" = cool blue flames = hot. orange will also be sooty blue will not. Type of gas unimportant to this. Just like a gasoline engine. Too much fuel in relation to air. Dirty burn, black smoke low power. There is no physical way having the air intake (venturi) on the burner tubes clogged up causing a hotter burn. Big orange flames yeah but big orange flames are not hot flames
My guess here on the OP's issue is perhaps a combination issue. clogged insect screens (or non existent and insects present) and perhaps a bum regulator. Perhaps too it could be a VERY badly failed regulator which would account for 2 things at once. Large orange flames because the burners are being fed more gas than the venturi can "mix" and too hot at the same time for the same reason

When you indicate "too hot" how are you interpreting that? Also can you send photo of the actual burners lit? We also know there are some VERY wrong regulators being sold as the right ones.

Temp is def running way too hot, I really have no control over temperature at this point. My next thought had been to remove and clean or replace the burner tubes but couldn’t figure out in my head how an issue with them could be causing high temps. Since we replaced the regulator and hose yesterday, I’m at a loss as to what else could be causing problem.

Was it the correct regulator? Don't assume new = good. Post a photo of the flames. Also have you pulled the manifold? There may be a chance the orifices fell off. This would account for possibly FAR too much gas getting into the burners. But you gotta face facts here. Grills are very simple devices. There is not a lot to go wrong between the gas bottle and the burners

When you indicate "too hot" how are you interpreting that? Also can you send photo of the actual burners lit? We also know there are some VERY wrong regulators being sold as the right ones.
Thanks again for messages. Remember extreme novice here so I’ll try to answer correctly...first, I have noticed a lot of soot. There’s a temp gauge on grill hood so I’ve used that and then also borrowed a neighbors grill thermometer. I’ve been scouring posts this past week for ideas so I know best time to take pics is at night so I can do that tonight and post photos of lit burners. Nope havent done anything with manifold, I can try to look at that today. Based off part list on Weber site, I ordered this regulator.

Attachments

• 4B62C0DF-A7D5-40FC-BF8E-765CBB78EC60.jpeg
    4B62C0DF-A7D5-40FC-BF8E-765CBB78EC60.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 12
That should be the correct regulator. Looks like a Weber OEM part. Silly question but have you tried a different tank? If not maybe give that a go and post back

That should be the correct regulator. Looks like a Weber OEM part. Silly question but have you tried a different tank? If not maybe give that a go and post back
Yep, we switched out tank too, I forgot to mention that. Would you think removing the manifold should be my next step at this point?

That is about the last step in the process. You may have to disassemble it and make sure something didn't get inside of it as well.

I assumed the valves and orifices weren't likely the cause because the OP said the issue happened suddenly and the he didn't indicate the flames were uneven between the burners. Since the regulator was replaced, and the problem persisted, I think a photo of the flames with valves on low would be helpful before telling the OP to replace the manifold.

Try a different thermometer or two. Take temp in several spots.

Of course if flames are higher and orange and hotter... pressure over the air flow like said above.

Pic at night will help.

Sorry for the delay but finally got photos of burners at hot, medium and low...does this change any of your thoughts/ideas? Thanks for all your advice so far.

Attachments

• 6AE25B36-3CB1-4CCE-9AA5-3B3753F8469E.jpeg
    6AE25B36-3CB1-4CCE-9AA5-3B3753F8469E.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 947D3B42-5DDB-41F5-9169-1F406EB223E0.jpeg
    947D3B42-5DDB-41F5-9169-1F406EB223E0.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 20
  • B51AFEAB-EE61-46D9-8643-D0B30F6B6470.jpeg
    B51AFEAB-EE61-46D9-8643-D0B30F6B6470.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 19
Yah, it looks to me like you are pushing out some flames there. Have you tried a burn in to see how fast your grill heats up and how high it gets?

Yah, it looks to me like you are pushing out some flames there. Have you tried a burn in to see how fast your grill heats up and how high it gets?
Sorry what exactly do you mean by burn in? I can tell you to keep the temp around 400 today, I needed to turn one burner off and turn the other two to low. Does that help at all?

Back