Genesis E-310 too hot...

Burn in is simply taking it up to full temp and holding there for a little while. Always a good idea to do on a grill where you just did repairs or replaced key components.
It you are getting much above 600 with full burners, then it is burning hotter than it should.

Burn in is simply taking it up to full temp and holding there for a little while. Always a good idea to do on a grill where you just did repairs or replaced key components.
It you are getting much above 600 with full burners, then it is burning hotter than it should.
Ok thx for explanation, I can try that tomorrow. So should I leave at full temp for 10-15 minutes and see what temp it hits?

Yeah basically once the needle stops rising you will have hit full temp. You can let it burn for another 10 minutes or so if you want.

It's a N/S grill so I really don't know for sure what they're supposed to look like having never done any work with them. I know if my E/W sidewinder Genesis 3000 burned like that I would be looking for an issue

Larry, is your Wolf E/W?
No, it's N/S but has an IR rear burner for spinning. Oh, and OP don't take that advice for adjustable regulators. They're NOT made for grills. They're made for higher pressure applications i.e. heaters, fryers, etc where the regulator is used to adjust the MUCH higher output and pressure needs of those types of appliances. They have no business on a grill. When trying to use them down into the range of grill pressures they become VERY unstable, can cause flame outs, flare ups and so on. Buy a Weber branded regulator if you're concerned, make sure no one has done any hap hazard mods to your manifold. There used to be a member on the board here that bragged about modding his grill so that it was over powered and could run hotter.

No, it's N/S but has an IR rear burner for spinning. Oh, and OP don't take that advice for adjustable regulators. They're NOT made for grills. They're made for higher pressure applications i.e. heaters, fryers, etc where the regulator is used to adjust the MUCH higher output and pressure needs of those types of appliances. They have no business on a grill. When trying to use them down into the range of grill pressures they become VERY unstable, can cause flame outs, flare ups and so on. Buy a Weber branded regulator if you're concerned, make sure no one has done any hap hazard mods to your manifold. There used to be a member on the board here that bragged about modding his grill so that it was over powered and could run hotter.
Larry - I used one of these for years on a boat that was built in France and was set up for butane. They are perfectly safe and a great testing tool. From the pictures it looks like the flames are good and just getting too hot for him. It sounds like he is getting ready to chuck the grill. I think that the adjustable regulator will enable him to dial it down the pressure a little and see if that does solve the issue. I keep one around. Maybe not a "permanent" fix but it should let him grill without burning his food.

My experience with adjustable regulators is not good with lower settings. They become VERY unstable and are not truly safe to use. I have never used butane on anything but torches and cig lighters. Have never bothered to look up it's characteristics so I cannot comment on a grill or cooking appliance using it. But, given my past experiences I would never recommend an adjustable regulator on any low pressure appliance.

Maybe a little off base but are you sure the thermometer is accurate? I had to replace mine on my Silver B as it read too hot all of a sudden.

Bruce - I did the burn in tonight and the temp maxed out at 650 within 15 minutes...I then let it burn for another 10 at that temp.

Yah, I would say that is a bit high. Have you tested the orifices to make sure you don't have NG ones? Find a 3/64" drill bit and if it goes into the orifice, it is NG. If it doesn't, it is LP.

I can't remember, but did you replace the regulator yet? Yep, i see you did with an OEM Weber one. Should be good there. I really can't figure what else the problem might be. The manifold seems like the only other thing to check. I doubt it is an individual valve as they all seem to be similar.

On second thought, maybe it is a bad thermometer. Have you tried cooking on it? Does it seem to be too hot when grilling a steak or burgers compared to before.

Yah, I would say that is a bit high. Have you tested the orifices to make sure you don't have NG ones? Find a 3/64" drill bit and if it goes into the orifice, it is NG. If it doesn't, it is LP.

I can't remember, but did you replace the regulator yet? Yep, i see you did with an OEM Weber one. Should be good there. I really can't figure what else the problem might be. The manifold seems like the only other thing to check. I doubt it is an individual valve as they all seem to be similar.
On second thought, maybe it is a bad thermometer. Have you tried cooking on it? Does it seem to be too hot when grilling a steak or burgers compared to before.
We are the original owners and the temp wasn’t an issue until last fall when I noticed that I was having hard time regulating temp to keep things from burning...I did use another thermometer previously to check the temp & it read the same as built in one. Plus I can tell with how things are cooking that it gets hotter than it should be and used to get. I know there aren’t a lot of parts on this thing so I’m just at a loss to what the issue is. Appreciate your time and input.

My 3 burner Genny gets to 600~650 with all 3 on high after 15 to 20 minutes of preheat, getting her to run much under 300 is can be hard to do and I don't really worry about any of this. I wanna say the two outside burners on low hits about 400. The grill is about 8 years old with the original burners, original regulator, fuel hose and original thermometer.

My 3 burner Genny gets to 600~650 with all 3 on high after 15 to 20 minutes of preheat, getting her to run much under 300 is can be hard to do and I don't really worry about any of this. I wanna say the two outside burners on low hits about 400. The grill is about 8 years old with the original burners, original regulator, fuel hose and original thermometer.
John - thanks for sharing...my complaint/frustration is when I want to keep it 350-400, it’s tough. If I shut the middle burner off and put two outside to low, just like you mentioned, that works the best but it’s still not quite right and I’ve got to really monitor because it’s just inconsistent. Never used to be that way, and guess I’m frustrated with the issue and was trying to figure out the fix to get it back to “how it used to be”. Guess I need to accept this is how it runs now or consider a replacement.

Have you cleaned up the burner tubes? The flames look a bit uneven and there could be cracks in the tubes or just clogged holes.

Back