Genesis E-310 too hot...

I stand by my first response way back in the beginning. Take it all apart and clean everything as suggested. From the pics that grill is due for a cleaning.

Now that I think of it, I think my grill is probably about a 2013 model, and it probably did control down to lower temps when it was new. I'm fairly certain that the orifices in the tubes have gotten bigger over time due to corrosion/material loss, and I know there are a couple of small cracks in the burner tubes. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to replace my burner tubes sometime soon.....

Replacing burner tubes sounds like a great thing to do while smoking ribs and chicken on the WSM and enjoying a couple of cervasa's don't you think? ;)

I can already hear myself saying "Sorry sweety, can't possibly find time to pull weeds today.... way busy over here on a safety critical grill maintenance event..."

Have you cleaned up the burner tubes? The flames look a bit uneven and there could be cracks in the tubes or just clogged holes.
I have. I went through each one with an exacto knife tip to clean the holes. I can go over them again. Think it’s worth replacing the tubes to see if that helps?

I stand by my first response way back in the beginning. Take it all apart and clean everything as suggested. From the pics that grill is due for a cleaning.
I haven’t taken the tubes out and cleaned yet just wire brushed tops and went over holes with tip of exacto knife. I can take out tubes and clean as you suggested this weekend. I got the sense that your grill is much cleaner...just curious, how do you normally clean yours? I had brushed over over inside of mine and cleaned out debris which left it much better but certainly not perfect so wondering what I should have done differently. Thx for suggestions.

I would pull them and carefully inspect. You would be amazed at how much debris gets inside a burner. Do a thorough clean use a tube brush and brush the insides as well. Flush them out with spray brake cleaner (no it will not leave residue don't believe anyone who tells you it will). If you have an air compressor blow them out. If you don't now is a good time to ask for father's day LOL. For just over $100 you can find decent pancake ones. Stay clear of the el cheapo on Hazard Fraught. They are truly junk. Clean your gas valves as well. They can contribute to uneven heat distribution.
Grills are not rocket science. Fuel goes in fire comes out. Pay close attention for any possible cracks in the burners. It may show as a small "line" but still look solid.
Now for the science part. Once there are flames the burners cannot output any more heat than the valves can give fuel. But, they CAN cause distribution issues that can cause hotter areas over another and mimic your "too hot" complaint.
Now get cleaning/replacing and report back!

I would pull them and carefully inspect. You would be amazed at how much debris gets inside a burner. Do a thorough clean use a tube brush and brush the insides as well. Flush them out with spray brake cleaner (no it will not leave residue don't believe anyone who tells you it will). If you have an air compressor blow them out. If you don't now is a good time to ask for father's day LOL. For just over $100 you can find decent pancake ones. Stay clear of the el cheapo on Hazard Fraught. They are truly junk. Clean your gas valves as well. They can contribute to uneven heat distribution.
Grills are not rocket science. Fuel goes in fire comes out. Pay close attention for any possible cracks in the burners. It may show as a small "line" but still look solid.
Now for the science part. Once there are flames the burners cannot output any more heat than the valves can give fuel. But, they CAN cause distribution issues that can cause hotter areas over another and mimic your "too hot" complaint.
Now get cleaning/replacing and report back!
thanks for tips, I'll work on burners this weekend and see how it goes. It's too late to ask for the compressor as a Mothers Days gift so I guess I'll just need to buy one for the heck of it. :)

Marc: Unless you have further use for the compressor, I would not buy it just to blow out your burner tubes. You might be better off just buying a new set as they are under $20 on Amazon. Otherwise, a hose with a directed spray nozzel will usually clean up the burners inside just fine. Brake cleaner will get them all the more cleaner but blowing them out usually isnt necessary. You can look down into them and see if there is anything lodged in there after you clean them up.

Thanks Bruce. I got part #62752 off the Weber site...should I buy specifically Weber brand burners? They run about $49 on Weber site...I'm still looking for authentic Weber ones on Amazon to find the $20 you saw.

I was going to replace those when I replaced the regulator but thought someone had said that if it was a burner issue, the temps would be too low instead of too high like I'm experiencing. But, new burners are alot cheaper than a new grill and otherwise, the grills in fairly decent shape (other than needing a better cleaning :) ). Thanks again for your help/advice!

The $20 is for aftermarket. I use them on all my rehab grills and get good results. I have a set of $13 burners on my personal Genesis 1000 for last 4 years. Going strong. But, if you want genuine weber, it will cost you about $40 to $50.

The $20 is for aftermarket. I use them on all my rehab grills and get good results. I have a set of $13 burners on my personal Genesis 1000 for last 4 years. Going strong. But, if you want genuine weber, it will cost you about $40 to $50.
ok, thanks, I know for some parts people say to stick with genuine, so that's why I asked. I ordered one off Amazon so we'll see if that helps. Thanks again.

John - thanks for sharing...my complaint/frustration is when I want to keep it 350-400, it’s tough. If I shut the middle burner off and put two outside to low, just like you mentioned, that works the best but it’s still not quite right and I’ve got to really monitor because it’s just inconsistent. Never used to be that way, and guess I’m frustrated with the issue and was trying to figure out the fix to get it back to “how it used to be”. Guess I need to accept this is how it runs now or consider a replacement.
Both of my Webers, the old Silver B and the new E-330 with the center burner off and the two outside burners on medium keep the temp right about 350 for indirect cooking. Is yours near that temp?

As has been suggested, replace the burner tubes. The ones on my Silver B needed replaced after 8 years as the holes enlarged and a couple expanded into the next one leading to uneven heating and yellowish flames. An inexpensive investment compared to a new grill and not a hard job.

Once a year (usually the spring) it is time to give the grill a bath. I have always removed the complete innards of the firebox, grates, flavorizers, burners, grease pans, etc. scraped them all off. Cleaned them well with simple green, and heavy duty steel wool including the burners. I shoot the hose inside the burners a few times. Tap them out and let them dry opening facing down while I finish the other parts. I scrape, brush, and lube the grates with some cooking oil or tallow from my briskets then put it back together and fire it up.

Both of my Webers, the old Silver B and the new E-330 with the center burner off and the two outside burners on medium keep the temp right about 350 for indirect cooking. Is yours near that temp?
with the center off & the two outside on low, my temp runs about 375-400

Time to replace the burners. The pics of your flames look pretty uneven.
ordered new ones today...I didn't do that initially since it's burning too hot & I didn't think bad burners would cause that but fingers crossed that new ones will take care of the problem.

Once a year (usually the spring) it is time to give the grill a bath. I have always removed the complete innards of the firebox, grates, flavorizers, burners, grease pans, etc. scraped them all off. Cleaned them well with simple green, and heavy duty steel wool including the burners. I shoot the hose inside the burners a few times. Tap them out and let them dry opening facing down while I finish the other parts. I scrape, brush, and lube the grates with some cooking oil or tallow from my briskets then put it back together and fire it up.
I do annual maint but it's far less thorough - I have never removed the burners. BUT Joe I'm worried because you don't say anything about replacing the little aluminum foil pan for the grease catcher... you may want to consider that 🤣

I have no idea how many cooks I've done on my Genny but I'd guess at 30 x per year x 9 years or 270 cooks..... I know I've had a few grease fires but nothing crazy/catastrophic. It seems like 8 years is a pretty good life span for a set of burners given this sort of usage and lack-luster maintenance right?

Back