Genesis 2000 Rehab-When Enough is Way too Much

Ralph,

Wow, just WOW! Gorgeous grill. If mine comes out half that good I will be happy. I will be copying some of your detailing methods though. 😀

Ralph,
That is one knockout grill. I do really like redheads but my first love goes to brunettes;)...well you know what I really mean. I think a classic Genesis with wood slats looks stunning with a jet black hood like yours. You got yourself a grill that can’t be replicated by anything made today at any price. Enjoy!

Can you share a few details? What did you use on th firebox? Grinder, sandblaster?
How about the wood? Is that the original wood? Stain? Spar? Urethane?

Dave, I mostly used a wire brush on a drill for the firebox, and a liTtle oven cleaner and wire brushes and everything else I had handy. Used the sander on my multi tool on the part of the box above the grates and it did a pretty nice job. But it seemed neverending. I must have told myself 5 or 6 times that I was done with the box, then i’d Walk by it in the garage and see a little bit of black and say to myself-I can get that with the big-small-tiny-whatever wheel-and next I’d have the drill and picks and whatever else out with a mess in the garage. I lent my grinder out to a friend, but will get it back and try a cup wheel on the next one.

Use rustoleum ultra on the box and krylon high heat on the frame.

The wood is cedar 1x2s from HD-nearly exact match to the original slats. I originally planned to redo the wood, but some of the slats were a little rotted on the ends, so I replaced it all.

Stained the wood with a couple of coats of the one-step used In this thread-https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74311-Another-nice-Genesis-1000-redhead-restoration/page2

It was nice....but I sold it.:(

Sold for what I had in it - $325, think I cleared $10.00 but probably didn't account for some cleaning supplies etc. That's OK, it's more about saving a grill and having something to do than for me having a grill. If I had kept it, it would never get used. I've used my Gold C, fully equipped with RCP grates, maybe 15 times in the last 7 years. Although, that 2000 would look darn good sitting on my patio, my wife would make me keep a cover on it, which I would just have to take off whenever I was using my kettle, which would be silly.

Which reminds me....what are peoples thoughts about covers? In my case, the grill sits on a covered patio and would only get some windblown rain occasionally. Some argue that they cause more problems trapping moisture than they prevent. I use one on my kettles and Gold C (which certainly isn't a looker) mostly to please my wife. If they weren't covered, I think I'd keep them cleaner. If I was keeping that grill, I'd hate to keep it covered, I'd want to see it anytime I look outside.

I only cover in the winter so I don't have to chisel ice and snow off them. In summer/mild months they sit uncovered. Water alone will not hurt anything. Trapped water does more harm

I don't use a cover at all. I brush the snow off in the winter. But that is my preference.

7nflGK6.jpg

[/img]

Ralph, question on the sticker on that scale. Did you reprint that sticker or buy it somewhere?

Thanks

That's a reprint on label paper using the template I found here. I stuck some shipping tape over the top. No idea whether it will yellow or bleed.

It was nice....but I sold it.:(

Sold for what I had in it - $325, think I cleared $10.00 but probably didn't account for some cleaning supplies etc. That's OK, it's more about saving a grill and having something to do than for me having a grill. If I had kept it, it would never get used.

Ralph,
You are fortunate to not be as sentimental and overcome with Weber Collectoritous as I am:rolleyes:! After such a beautiful restoration I would have had a really difficult time parting with it. But I agree that you gave it a new lease on life and preserved it - a really good cause. It would have been a shame for it to have wound up in a scrap pile.

Back