Genesis 2 Redhead Resto (edited: not 2000)

JasonMansfield

I guess I'll join the ranks. A buddy got a free Genesis 2000 redhead for free and dropped it off in my driveway. It matches my redhead kettle. What a nice guy. Now my entire summer is going to be spent finding time to restore this ol' gas grill. I feel a little bad for when I will give up my Stok gas grill - it's been reliable and held together pretty well over the past 8 years or so. Someone will get a decent freebie. I'm sure once I fire the Genesis up, I'll forget all about the Stok.

Overall, the grill is in decent shape - not the worst, but certainly not the best. It will take quite a bit of work. I don't aspire to making it perfect like many of you do. But I do want it to be respectable and last me a very long time. Even though I plan on keeping it out in the weather uncovered, I'm expecting it to be fine since the "weather" in the California Bay Area is pretty darn mild.

So far I have sanded down, stained, and mostly sealed the wood. I still have a couple more sprays of Spar to go and might need to pick up another can. Sheesh, that's a lot of wood slats!!! I ended up staining them a little darker than I wanted, but I think it works out because it will hide all the remaining sins.

I expect to do a bit of welding. I need a new crossmember where they typically rust out. I might just go ahead and weld up the other pieces - not like I'm going to ever take this apart and if it helps reduce potential for future rust, then I'm game. I also have some other metal work to do while I have the naval jelly and welder out (on the truck and equipment for homebrewing).

And I expect there will be quite a bit of cleaning - hopefully not more tedious than all that sanding!

I need new z-brackets for under the firebox for the drip tray. I hear RCPlaneBuyer may have them (in addition to the flavorizor bars I'll probably need as well). Luckily I'm only a couple towns away from him, so I'm hoping I can just pick them up and avoid shipping.

With all my lurking on this board and reading everyone's experiences, I'm hoping to not hit any huge snags or make some terrible mistakes.

One thing I haven't read in any of these threads, or maybe I missed it - what's the deal with the casters on the other pair of legs? Most seem to have it. Mine doesn't. Were they original? Seems if I were to add them, the grill wouldn't sit level. I don't feel I need them, but do want to honor originality a little.

Thanks for reading my novel. We'll see how this goes!

Attachments

• IMG_8698.JPG
    IMG_8698.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8707.JPG
    IMG_8707.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8706.JPG
    IMG_8706.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8705.JPG
    IMG_8705.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8704.JPG
    IMG_8704.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8703.JPG
    IMG_8703.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8702.JPG
    IMG_8702.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8701.JPG
    IMG_8701.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8700.JPG
    IMG_8700.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8699.JPG
    IMG_8699.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8697.JPG
    IMG_8697.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 40
Welcome Jason! It looks and sounds like you're all ready to do this. I can tell by the wheels on your grill that it's actually an older Genesis 2 model and those didn't come with casters on the other side. As far as the rails that hold up your drip tray, I don't think rcplanebuyer makes those. I have purchased the z bars that hold the tables together from him though. Here is what you need:Screenshot_20220616-161708_Chrome.jpghttps://www.ereplacementparts.com/bottom-tray-rail-assembly-p-1476259.html

Welcome to TVWBB, Jason!

You have a very nice candidate and extra cool since it is the first generation model Genesis as Steve pointed out. A little patience and investment in a few parts - and yes lots of elbow grease! - and you will have one fine, classic Weber. I hope you can keep the photos coming. Don’t hesitate to ask for help; there is usually someone on here who has gone through the same challenge.

I would also suggest you check out the “sticky” thread at the top of this gas grill section where you can find extensive help on lots of restoration issues and leads on part sources. Many years of combined experience there, so I think you will get a good payback for your time.

Of course you folks are correct - it is a Genesis 2. I pulled the knobs off and checked the serial number under the panel. I edited the title so as to (not?) further confuse anyone in the future. ha.

Attachments

• IMG_8727.JPG
    IMG_8727.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 18
Weekend progress update.
- Finished cleaning the really gunky stuff
- Disassembled almost everything
- 3 of 4 screws/bolts from drip tray to box broke off (that will be fun to drill out (and tap?)
- Drip tray has quite a bit of rust around the flanges and just a little in the flat sections (probably solid enough to last a while)
- I'm torn about the grate and the flavorizer bars. They most certainly will last a few more years, so the cheapskate in me says to keep them and use them, but the other option is to get new SS and just not have to think about them for a long time.
- Removed the rusty cross beam and cut the new one to fit
- Didn't do the welding because other things got in the way, but determined to get that done this week

IMG_8800.JPG

IMG_8801.JPG

IMG_8802.JPG

IMG_8803.JPG

IMG_8804.JPG

IMG_8805.JPG

IMG_8807.JPG

Good game plan. Drip pan is fine. Keep it until it falls out of the slide rails. Use the flavo bars as is. They have a lot of life in them. If they are stainless, they will last a long time yet. As for the grates, they are a diff story. You can certainly use them if they are serviceable, but a nice set of SS ones would probably be lot better and since they are stainless, they are basically the last set you will have to buy....why not enjoy them now.

A small lower powered 1/4" impact will get those slide rail screws out of a cook box 9/10 times. Having to drill them out is not only a PIA but tough to do. Good luck.

Good game plan. Drip pan is fine. Keep it until it falls out of the slide rails. Use the flavo bars as is. They have a lot of life in them. If they are stainless, they will last a long time yet. As for the grates, they are a diff story. You can certainly use them if they are serviceable, but a nice set of SS ones would probably be lot better and since they are stainless, they are basically the last set you will have to buy....why not enjoy them now.

A small lower powered 1/4" impact will get those slide rail screws out of a cook box 9/10 times. Having to drill them out is not only a PIA but tough to do. Good luck.

Thanks for the perspective on the drip pan. I was a little concerned about it since it's the edges that could cause it to fall off. I was thinking a little naval jelly might keep the rust from getting much worse.
Most of the flavor bars are solid, a few are eroded at the edges. If I was to get new SS grates, I'd just get the SS flavor bars at the time. You're probably right about the concept of "the last set I'll buy, why not enjoy them now." And so I might as well just do that with both. I think I'll fire it up and see how it goes for now - the SS is an investment I'm not sure I'm ready to spend on just yet.
Someone had retrofitted a couple of those slide rail screws with really skinny SS bolts and nuts. They all just twisted right off, including one of the stock bolts in a third spot. Drilling them out just is not going to be fun, especially with the SS versus the aluminum box. Yikes. Wish me luck.

Jason you should really have a centre drill bit to get the hole started as they will not “walk” like a regular bit.

Thanks for link, Richard! It is currently at a very good "Prime" price, so I bought a set. It has been on my list for a long time.

Nice work. A wire cup on a grinder will clean up those flavorizer bars. As Bruce said I would use them until they ware out.

A short update. Finally finished my shoddy metal work (I’m a terrible welder, but it works) and painting. Amazon should be delivering new bolts for the drip pan slides today. I had to drill out the posts and will retrofit a custom solution here.
Meanwhile, just as I was finishing the metal work, my buddy who found this grill for me found another free 3000 redhead with very little frame rust. Darn! Still, I’m stealing the side burner. Since I already cleaned up the manifold and painted it. I’ll try to just swap the plug for the hose connection. And i need to clean the burner, though it’s already pretty clean - should be quick.
I can’t wait to get this all back together and be cooking on it. The goal was by Labor Day, and it’s looking promising.
839F047F-1ADC-4A38-9210-DD26E96368ED.jpeg

Looking good, Jason. It’s going to be a nice Labor Day if you can bring yourself to let that nice grill getting dirty🤣!

Back