Genesis 2 Redhead Resto (edited: not 2000)

Thanks Jon. Luckily this is no where near the quality restorations I see on here, so I have no problem getting it dirty! But it does feel so new and fresh.

If anyone in the Bay Area is interested in a Genesis 3000 redhead (now 2000 cuz I stole the side burner), let me know. Otherwise, my buddy will probably just put it to the curb with a free sign on it. Frame is solid, grates are toast. He already pilfered the flavorizor bars and ignitor, and drip pan has a bit of rust. Otherwise it seems like a good candidate for a restoration, or even just a good cleaning and replace the usual items.

Thanks Jon. Luckily this is no where near the quality restorations I see on here, so I have no problem getting it dirty! But it does feel so new and fresh.

If anyone in the Bay Area is interested in a Genesis 3000 redhead (now 2000 cuz I stole the side burner), let me know. Otherwise, my buddy will probably just put it to the curb with a free sign on it. Frame is solid, grates are toast. He already pilfered the flavorizor bars and ignitor, and drip pan has a bit of rust. Otherwise it seems like a good candidate for a restoration, or even just a good cleaning and replace the usual items.

Its too far for me, but at least post it for $10 on FBM before just setting it out for the metal scrappers to take.

Getting closer. Photos include an embarrassing close-up of my poor welding skills, but figured it needed to be shown. Also my terrible re-do of the drip pan rail bolts making it all a little caddywompus (sp?). It doesn't seem like it will fall off, so I'm thinking it's okay. Not ideal, but if it works, who really cares? Meanwhile, my wife is getting anxious for me to tidy up the yard with this completed project - should be this Saturday, especially since I've got a brew day scheduled for Sunday - a very hoppy IPA planned.
IMG_8922.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8923.JPG
    IMG_8923.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8924.JPG
    IMG_8924.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8925.JPG
    IMG_8925.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8926.JPG
    IMG_8926.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 20
You should be able to bend the drip pan bracket to make it sit more level. As long as the weld is strong, no big deal.
Good progress on the rebuild.

All put back together with an inaugural cook - just a couple frozen salmon patties.
A few things to note:
- When I replaced the rusted frame cross member, I was a little short, so it narrowed the space of the frame just a hair. It was enough to make it a tight squeeze for the side table. Maybe that's a good thing though - that shelf is going nowhere.
- I mentioned originally that I had stained the wood a bit darker than I intended. I like the dark stain and think it will hold up well longer.
- I think I'm missing the manifold support bracket. Pushing down on the knobs rubs the control panel. The prior owner clearly wasn't concerned because now I see the rubbing from the past. I may need to source one or bend the manifold brackets a bit.
- The folding shelf gets racked most times when I unfold it. I may need to add a diagonal brace underneath. This seems like a weird design flaw, but then I haven't heard anyone else have this issue. Maybe it's just because I reused the original holes in the boards?
- Speaking of the original holes in the boards - I did manage to get the spacing mostly correct. It's not perfect, but close enough for me. That is definitely a challenge when reusing the original boards.
- I ended up with a few extra parts. Any idea if this is an original bracket and where it might go or be used for? There are a couple extra short bolts like what was in the frame. I'll have to look for empty holes again. Other than that, I think I used up the rest of the parts - ha.
IMG_8929.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8930.JPG
    IMG_8930.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8931.JPG
    IMG_8931.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8932.JPG
    IMG_8932.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8933.JPG
    IMG_8933.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8959.JPG
    IMG_8959.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8960.JPG
    IMG_8960.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8964.JPG
    IMG_8964.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 18
That came out beautifully! Great job on giving that extra nice one a whole new life. Great workmanship on that, and the wood looks stunning to me!👍

The bracket you show is for the rear left leg to use as a place to park the rod attached to the fold-down table when it is not in use.

- I think I'm missing the manifold support bracket. Pushing down on the knobs rubs the control panel. The prior owner clearly wasn't concerned because now I see the rubbing from the past. I may need to source one or bend the manifold brackets a bit.
One or two zip ties or wire will do the same thing as the support bracket.
- The folding shelf gets racked most times when I unfold it. I may need to add a diagonal brace underneath. This seems like a weird design flaw, but then I haven't heard anyone else have this issue. Maybe it's just because I reused the original holes in the boards?
Not sure what you mean by "racked"
- I ended up with a few extra parts. Any idea if this is an original bracket and where it might go or be used for? There are a couple extra short bolts like what was in the frame. I'll have to look for empty holes again. Other than that, I think I used up the rest of the parts - ha.
That is the holder that goes on the back leg that the swing shelf support rod goes into to hold up the swing table.

One or two zip ties or wire will do the same thing as the support bracket.
Oh, GREAT idea. Thanks!!!

Not sure what you mean by "racked"
It turns into a parallelogram when I bend the support rod out of the frame holes.

That is the holder that goes on the back leg that the swing shelf support rod goes into to hold up the swing table.
Ah, ok. Now I do kind of remember taking it off from around that area. The tab had me really wondering how this was supposed to fit around a frame member, but I guess it just goes into the hole I was using for the support rod. I bet it also keeps the shelf vertical in the "storage" position rather than slightly angled back as I have it now in the hole in the frame.

One other thing I forgot to mention, probably unrelated to all of the above, when I got the free grill, it was missing the hinge rod for the folding table. Luckily I had some rod laying around that I cut to length, bent the end to go into the frame, and cut some threads at the end to have 2 locking nuts on the outside of the bracket. I think it works pretty well and looks decent enough.

Overall, I probably spent just over $100 on this rehab. Someone was nice enough to take away my old grill for free, hopefully to a good home since it does still work pretty well.

Thanks to everyone past and present for all the helpful posts and good advice. I don't think I would have been as inspired to make this look nearly as nice if this forum didn't exist. Now even my wife is proud and happy with the grill being showcased on the patio.

Back