Genesis 1000 Refurb

Chris_M

Posted about the purchase a couple weeks back but this title is more appropriate! The grill in question is a '98 model redhead Genesis 1000, purchased locally for $75 from the original owner. It's quite solid, with only one rusty spot that I've found on the frame so far (at the rear right corner of the firebox) and is in good working order--in fact I did a test run last weekend after just wire brushing the grate and it performed really well. Needs one heck of a cleaning though, some paint, and the wood slats in the side table are pretty much gone. (Side table already removed in this photo)
34763968951_709acbb778_b.jpg

Other pressing issues have kept me from starting the cleaning in earnest so far, but the bars and burners should be fine--they've been replaced in the past couple years (bars are SS) and look solid. I'd like to replace the grate though; it's not rusted out, but it's channel-formed and pretty dingy. I'd like to go with solid rod stainless for the replacement. I know rcplanebuyer's products get a lot of love around here, but looking at his current ebay items there isn't a grate for the 1000 available. Grillparts.com has a stainless rod grate available for $80--claims to be genuine Weber. It's 1/4 rather than the 3/8 rcplanebuyer uses; how big a functional/durability difference might that make? Has anyone bought from them before? $93 shipped for the set of 2 sounds like a pretty good deal, but if the 1/4 isn't going to hold up, maybe it's not?

Also, any tips for redoing the wood slats? I know switching to durawood would be a lifetime replacement, but I like the look of the real wood and I think the slats on the drop table can be saved so I'd only need to cut new ones for the fixed table. What type of wood are the originals (I'm not so good at ID)? I've also seen at least one on here with wood slats on the bottom tray as well. That's a good look, I presume custom-made; how would one fabricate the z-brackets for such a thing?

Thanks!

Email Rcplanebuyer and ask him if he has or can make you a set for the 1000. He's a nice guy to deal with.

I bought the same ones last year for my Platinum II Genesis that Dustin mentioned above.

Did you see rcplanebuyers comment on these?
"Fits Spirit E-310, Spirit SP-310, Spirit 700, Genesis Silver B & C, Genesis Gold B & C, Genesis Platinum B & C, 2005 Model Year & Genesis 1000-3500 Gas Grills"

Jeff

I bought the same ones last year for my Platinum II Genesis that Dustin mentioned above.

Did you see rcplanebuyers comment on these?
"Fits Spirit E-310, Spirit SP-310, Spirit 700, Genesis Silver B & C, Genesis Gold B & C, Genesis Platinum B & C, 2005 Model Year & Genesis 1000-3500 Gas Grills"

Jeff

Nope, didn't see that as the listing title just mentioned the Summits. My fault! Is the consensus that the 3/8 rod grates are worth the $50 or so (after shipping) price premium?

I have a very similar grill that I will be refurbishing. It needs new wood as well. I purchased a 6' cedar dog ear fence panel. It is 5/8" thick and should be plenty for new table slats and a new handle. The thickness looks just a little bigger than the original slats but they will get some sanding to smooth out the rough cut and will wind up just about the perfect thickness....$3.00. Since it is cedar, it is naturally weather resistant and should last a good long time. Sanded and stained, the cedar will look really nice, I believe.

Nope, didn't see that as the listing title just mentioned the Summits. My fault! Is the consensus that the 3/8 rod grates are worth the $50 or so (after shipping) price premium?

Believe me if you try cooking on those el cheapo skinny wire grates you'll wish you had the stamped ones back in it. Stuff will fall through, stick, be hard to move around, etc. They are junk. You're way better off with the RC grates or at the worst case cast iron

if you have a table saw to rip them, Cedar or Cypress deck or fence planks are not hard to find and will provide for the longest lasting wood slats. Redwood is another option but pricey. Stay away from oak or poplar (widely available at box home improvement stores) it will warp and 'check' in the outdoors, and you will have to replace in a couple years.

I always thought cedar and redwood were one and the same just simply different names for the same product. So they're not?

This appears to be the exact same model that I have. Over the years I've replaced the cooking grates, the flavorizer bars (several times), the burner assembly. I replaced the OEM lid thermometer with a thermometer from TelTru. I changed out the hose that came with the grill to a hose that makes it easier to connect the gas tank. Seeing that someone has the same model that I have restores my confidence -- I made the right choice in keeping the grill instead of replacing it.

I always thought cedar and redwood were one and the same just simply different names for the same product. So they're not?

No, they are different. They come from two distinctly different species of tree. Both have natural protection against decomposition unlike most hardwoods. Redwood used to be widely available until they were being harvested at an alarming rate. Since they reproduce and grow slow and between rising cost and federal and state regulations, pretty much shut it down as a construction material. It is primarily used in small and specialized projects. Cedar is much more widely available and is commonly used in construction such as fencing and other outdoor uses. The price of cedar is much more appealing. Like I said, I bought a 6' cedar dog eared fence plank that is about 6" wide by 6' long for three bucks. It is also just 5/8" in thickness which is just about a perfect match to the existing slats. A little sanding to smooth them out and make them look nice and they will be the same as the originals. I should be able to fashion the slats and lid handle out of one plank.

Back