Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Renovation Genesis 2 has begun, lots of pics.

Renovation Genesis 2 has begun, lots of pics.

After lurking for a while, (and learning tons) I picked up a Genesis 2 off of CL for $40. I love any thread with pics so I'm going heavy on pics hoping others like that too. Normal grime from use and some rust I didn't initially see. Here are the "before" pics. The lid on this grill was totally faded from the sun so I put a notice in my neighborhood listserv that I would be delighted to acquire a Weber Grill like this (added a photo) and bingo got another grill free. This one a Silver whose lid fits great and is in far better shape. The Silver will be my second project ... I got a fever and the only prescription is more Weber grills!

Last edited by Chris Allingham; 06-03-2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Updated model number

These pics are of the frame. One bottom frame member was fairly rotted at both ends. Luckily I have a friend who can weld, he cut off one bad end and inserted into scrap piece and welded new pieces on. Painting of frame is currently underway.

Naked Frame

Fell out of one leg :-)

Rust converter paint applied to heavy rust areas

Underside of frame member, other end was worse. This was cut out and
    re-welded by a friend

Worse end

Rust cut off, re-weld

Scrap piece welded on, doesn't interfere with shelf rack, yay!

Moving along, got the cook box scraped out, wow is that tough sledding. Had 1 bolt frozen in where the manifold attaches to cook box. Lucky for me I was able to get most of it out, then CAREFULLLY drilled out the rest. Painted it three coats of flat black, also did the lid endcaps. Cleaned up the wheels, though they're the 8" and from the old brochure pics I should probably have the 6" so when the casters go on the other end it will be level. New burners going in, hoping the manifold is still good.

TVWBB All-Star
    Nice work !!
    Ranch Kettle x 2, MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

Looking good!. 8" is the correct size for the wheels. Both my 1000's have 8" wheels. The 6" are on the kettles.

BabyQ, Q200, Genesis 1000, Genesis Gold C, SS Perfomer Touch-N-Go, Performer Touch-N-Go, Copper Performer Platinum, 2x Red MT,Black OKP 18" WSM,WSCGS

Looks good!! I'm jealous. Want a 2000 myself to restore.
    '14 Green E 330 , '11 Black ,22.5 WSM ,22.5 Black Kettle , '97 900

Looks like you are doing a great job on that beauty. Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming. And yes, it will become an obsession.
    2013 WSM 22.5 , 2008 C&B Performer 22.5 , 96 Genesis 1000 Redhead , 1995 Smokey Joe , 2 HeaterMeters, Vortex

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
    Looking good!. 8" is the correct size for the wheels. Both my 1000's have 8" wheels. The 6" are on the kettles.
    Yes sir you are correct. My mistake was I thought this grill had coasters on the other end, but it didn't. I called Weber and going by the serial they determined it is actually a Genesis II from the mid to late 1980's. Nearly completed, have to post new pics soon! Thanks for the reply. - Ed

Update May 4th, 2016

Nearly there. Finished the wood, though need to drop in bottom shelves. Finished the lid up to where I took off the emblem to refinish per advice found on the forum to paint then sand down the name-logo. Here are the latest pics. BTW, when I called Weber they told me this is actually a Genesis II from mid to late 80's! Cool.

TVWBB Gold Member
    EdW;
    I am thoroughly impressed! You're doing a FINE job on the re-build!

Keep the pictures coming, this is INTERESTING!

Keep on smokin',
    Dale53
    Mini-Joe Gold, 14.5 WSM, 18.5 WSM, 2 Performers with Vortex, gasser (taking up space), SJS, JJ

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast