Genesis 1000 Redhead Restoration

Thanks Larry. I'll use it up and discard the tank. It's way too old to re-certify anyway.
You can take it to a propane exchange site and swap it out regardless of the cert date. Nearly every Walmart has them and they are only about $15 per exchange. You turn in the old tank and they give you a freshly filled one.

Thanks Gerry! That's the plan; I'm hoping this is my lifetime grill and I'm somewhere between AARP eligible and Medicare eligible. [/QUOTE said:
No need to hope. It's a sure thing. My dad got his Genesis in around '87 or so. I inherited it 30 years later. It never let him down. I could have left it as is when I got it because there was nothing pressing that needed to be done. The only things replaced when he owned it was the igniter and for some reason he replaced the wheels. I got him some new f- bars and grates for Father's day or something, but that's about it.

Gerry

Holy cow!!! I don't know what I am more impressed with.
The grill, or this highly detailed thread. Fantastic work on both, J.
Red head, red kettle logo, perfect.

I mentioned earlier that my DW was weaving a set of mats for the side tables. Well, she finished them.

IMG_3531.JPG

I searched online for a Weber logo patch, but I couldn't find anything. A friend of hers has a heavy-duty embroidery machine, but I don't think it would work given the thickness. They are thick and heavy enough that I can put hot items on them. They are washable cotton, so if anything spills on them they go straight into the laundry.

And yes, it's getting used. Two rotisserie chickens so far and several batches of asparagus. On Easter, I grilled asparagus on the genny and roti'ed lamb on the WSM 22. It was really cool cooking on two cookers at once. It got me thinking I may need more cookers...

Last edited:
Great work!!! If mine ends up half as nice I’ll be happy. And I might be getting flavorizer bars from rcp. I’ll let you know so you can get your z bar.

Most people over here don't replace the warm up rack or the hanging basket. They just rust out again and the warm up rack especially gets in the way while cooking. Finding a source in Italy might be hard to do.

The grease in the cook box looks like the kind that will clean up real well with some good grill or oven cleaner. It looks like you grease pan is still in good shape and your flavorizer bars even look like they have some life left in them.

Your grill is missing the left side swing table
posted in wrong thread?

Back