Genesis 1000 redhead restoration - UK

MichaelEdwards

Hello all from (not so) sunny England. I've been browsing for some time as I have been looking for a restoration project to get into, and finally managed to find a genesis 1000 on sale in my country! Fortunately for me, it was even the colour I was looking for. I will try to post the progress I make, which may be slow as parts are more difficult to get hold of outside of the states, and I am lazy. I have zero experience, so any and all advice will be very welcome! Without further ado, please see what we're working with here. At the time of taking these photos, all I had done is buff up the red exterior and briefly soak the detachable metal interior parts / give them a scrape. I need to replace the burner tubes, but the ignition works and then bars are salvageable (I think!).

Please review the photos below and drop in any sage wisdom you may have - I'm going to start by disassembling the lot, sanding/cleaning, painting the frame and then external parts of the hood. I will need to re-cut the wood.

Cheers

IMG_1080.jpgIMG_1075.jpgIMG_1083.jpgIMG_1084.jpgIMG_1077.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg
IMG_1086.jpgIMG_1087.jpgIMG_1088.jpg

Welcome Michael! That's a nice redhead you picked up. The bars and even the grates look like they can be salvaged. Yes on replacing the burners as the cross burner is in 3 pieces. Lots of great info on this site and members who are willing to help, even if you don't have any experience in rehabbing grills. Here's a great place to start if you haven't already....

Please keep us posted on your progess and post those pics!

Welcome!
Looks like you found an excellent Grill to start with! Myself and others will be happy to help answer any questions you might have any time.

Always love those redheads. I’m sure it will look striking when you’re through. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Yep, that is the grill most people think of when talking Classic Genesis grills. Red lid and all.
It does look to have all the key parts and mostly in very good condition. The drip pan looks awesome for something 30 years old. The wood looks like it will need replacing, but other than that, it should not be too tough to rehab that old guy.

If you come to a point and are not sure how to proceed with cleaning or fixing up a part of the grill, check out this link. It has the answers to many of the questions you might encounter.

Nice old Redhead!! That's going to be a beauty when you are done. The burner tubes may actually still be OK. The older ones seem to last a long time. Would be worth removing and carefully cleaning with a fine wire brush. If there is any rust through - replace. But if you can clean them up (opening any clogged holes) and they are solid you can reuse.

To get the burners out remove the manifold. Be very careful with the plastic spider guards at the manifold end of the burners - they get brittle. Do NOT remove the little screws inside the cookbox at the left end of the burners. Instead, carefully pry between the end of the tubes and the cookbox with a big screwdriver (or a little prybar). Walk the tubes right out from under the screws. Leaving the screws in place, clean up the carbon and junk around the screws - the tubes will then easily slide right back in. When the grill was new those screws were a "sliding fit" to the burner tubes. If you try to take the screws out there's a good chance they will break off.

You have a Great Grill there Michael! You have an excellent start, and you are way ahead of the game because your grease tray is in such good shape. I am looking forward to your progress.

Back