Genesis 1000 Porcelain Drip Tray

Did you keep the templates? Say yes. Would you like to upload them to the forum in case others would like to try or have it done?
Alternatively, a creative guy like you could buy some poster board and create his own...it's only 3 unique pieces (long side, short side, bottom).

EDIT: I've used material from hanging file folders to create templates, too, or manila folders. Any heavy paper will work.

Last edited:
Alternatively, a creative guy like you could buy some poster board and create his own...

EDIT: I've used material from hanging file folders to create templates, too, or manila folders. Any heavy paper will work.
Heck, I used notebook paper. Take good measurements, transfer to paper and carefully trace.
Gerry

Heck, I used notebook paper. Take good measurements, transfer to paper and carefully trace.
Gerry
It doesn't have to be exact, it doesn't have to be pretty...it just has to work. Poster board and masking tape would allow you to tape one up and test fit it, but paper works just as well and is easier to cut with scissors. The only thing you really need is the desire to do it.

EDIT: But I don't mean to discourage @G Schafer from creating and posting templates!

Last edited:
I was not asking for me, as I do not currently have a Genesis 1000-5000. Also maybe someone has one with no pan to measure and create a template from. Just sayin' that it would be nice for the forum to have the plans posted.

Bottom measures 5-1/2 x 8-1/2 with a 2” hole.
I cut the hole and then beat the panel on a soft surface (think bean bag) so it wasn’t flat and would drain towards the hole. Then measure and cut.

Alright, there you go. Let’s see some drip trays!
Gerry

Gerry,
What you are doing could be a HUGE service to us who love the old 1-5, x000 Genesis grills. It has become a serious issue to keep restoring these, in that finding drip trays for them that aren't too rusted to redeem is getting harder and harder. This major part and perhaps eventually the contol panel and some other parts are eventually going to put an end to being able to bring back these classic Webers.

I know I can speak for others that we are appreciative of you taking time to make these templates. What I think is needed is a way for you to reproduce them at 1:1 scale so that you can sell the set of templates to others like me. With the templates in hand, it would seem that it would reduce the cost of getting a sheet metal guy to fabricate a completed tray. Like you said, it doesn't have to be stunning, just workable (and long lasting). Stainless is the obvious choice, but maybe heavy enough gauge aluminum if that would be more cost-effective?

p.s. Gerry be sure to tell Lisa I said "Hi" and that the little Genesis Jr. has a permanent home in my garage with my wife being a little more forgiving after seeing the fun video clip where Lisa told her why I "needed" it!

I am in the process of creating a pdf that can be tiled and printed at full scale. I see a mismatch in that you show a 9 15/16" measurement and OAL of 9 5/8" on the rear panel view. I assume you mean 9 7/8"?

I am in the process of creating a pdf that can be tiled and printed at full scale. I see a mismatch in that you show a 9 15/16" measurement and OAL of 9 5/8" on the rear panel view. I assume you mean 9 7/8"?
Overall width is 19-5/8
It’s 9-13/16 from centerline to edge

Ok, thanks. I deleted the earlier post to avoid confusion. So what I read as 4 15/16" is actually 4 13/16" on the front panel as well ?

Gerry,
What you are doing could be a HUGE service to us who love the old 1-5, x000 Genesis grills. It has become a serious issue to keep restoring these, in that finding drip trays for them that aren't too rusted to redeem is getting harder and harder. This major part and perhaps eventually the contol panel and some other parts are eventually going to put an end to being able to bring back these classic Webers.

I know I can speak for others that we are appreciative of you taking time to make these templates. What I think is needed is a way for you to reproduce them at 1:1 scale so that you can sell the set of templates to others like me. With the templates in hand, it would seem that it would reduce the cost of getting a sheet metal guy to fabricate a completed tray. Like you said, it doesn't have to be stunning, just workable (and long lasting). Stainless is the obvious choice, but maybe heavy enough gauge aluminum if that would be more cost-effective?

p.s. Gerry be sure to tell Lisa I said "Hi" and that the little Genesis Jr. has a permanent home in my garage with my wife being a little more forgiving after seeing the fun video clip where Lisa told her why I "needed" it!
Templates are out there for others to recreate if they want. It’s easy enough to draw them out, or someone else can (is already) make a printable template.
I’ll say hi to Lisa for you.
Did you ever find your slow and sear?
Gerry

Ok, thanks! To anyone creating templates, there will may need to be some adjustments to the corners of the flanges when bent to bring those edges together. If you print this and fold it you will see what I mean. I will add to this as I complete. Completed.

Note that this pdf drawing is drawn to scale using Gerry's dimensions and may be accurately tiled at 100% or printed actual size if your printer supports it.

EDIT1: Left off a dimension on Front Panel. Uploaded new file.
EDIT2: Did some cleanup and consolidated to single file.

Attachments

• Grease Tray.pdf
    238.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Ok, thanks! To anyone creating templates, there will need to be some adjustments to the corners of the flanges when bent to bring those edges together. If you print this and fold it you will see what I mean. I will add to this as I complete.
Yeah, it’s not perfect. Hard to measure with the rounded bends etc. but as long as it doesn’t leak and holds to the bottom of the grill…
I’m glad you are taking the time to create the templates and double check my measurements.

I tried to see your pdf but couldn’t do it on the iPhone. I’ll try on the laptop tomorrow.
Gerry

Just for grins I taped my two templates together to see how it fitsAFB16073-9AD5-4C40-A576-C47D0A5D2063.jpeg
And here is how the corners fit

50804170-C238-49C5-BB18-FED263B7E027.jpeg
40A1A9A8-2C3A-4B8C-B241-F49727C96264.jpeg
Gerry
However, bent steel is different from bent paper. Rounded bends may need adjustment.

Is the true angle on the corners 44 degrees like on the template? I did not think it as that steep. I would have guessed more like 35 or even 30 degrees.Untitled.jpg

Templates are out there for others to recreate if they want. It’s easy enough to draw them out, or someone else can (is already) make a printable template.
I’ll say hi to Lisa for you.
Did you ever find your slow and sear?
Gerry
Gerry,

Unfortunately, no. I am not sure what I did, but maybe left it in the fixed mount grill. I went ahead and got another from Amazon using some Discover points. So I am back to where I was and not out much. I may eventually get a second one to have two kettles going simultaneously.

Back