Genesis 1000 Porcelain Drip Tray

JimH

Inherited my in-laws hardly used, garage kept Red Genesis 1000 grill. I'm trying to Frankenstein it with my well-used, but working well Genesis 1000LX grill into one like-new unit. Unfortunately, the Porcelain slide-out Drip Trays on both are pretty rusted. Does anyone know if the 99250 tray on Amazon for about $50 fits the 1000 series?

Also, what should I ask for a well-used, but working fine Genesis 1000?

I am afraid that this part is going to become the Achilles heal of the classic Genesis grills we love so much. No new replacement trays available, and the supply of old ones are almost all well-used and with rust or even holes. It is no longer a case of just looking for another "donor" grill because they will just be the same story. So to restore an old 1-5 or x000 Genesis, you will probably have to tolerate less than ideal drip trays.

It would be wonderful if a manufacturer would pick this up as a new product line. We have tons of companies making grates for these grills. What we need now is one to make drip trays! Stainless steel ones would be the ultimate fix.

I would really like to have a new one of these also. I had found a listing on Amazon for one that was made by a company called Nuate. It was the correct part #, the seller listed it as a dog training collar! Unfortunately, it was a no longer available item.

Yah, they could, but to custom fab one up would be pretty expensive. They could make a press to stamp them out quick and cheap, but they would have to sell a lot of them to make it worth while.
While we all think, "yah, I would buy one", it would take more than a few dozen to make it profitable. Just like flavorizer bars and other parts for the Genesis 1000 and earlier grills, the demand is just not great enough any more. By the time a grease tray is rotting out, owners just shove them to the curb. That is where come in and try to cobble them back to workable condition....but it is just getting harder and harder every year.

I am afraid that your assessment is spot on, Bruce. That doesn't bode well for the long-term future of restoring pre-Silver/Gold Genesis grills.

Wow. I might have to double or even triple the price of the one I'm "selling". 😉

The grease pan was well protected with lots of grease.

Yes indeed, making them profitable would require a pretty costly setup, less than a few hundred would be way too expensive. Ponying up the initial tooling is going to the first hurdle, I’m just wondering how many would be the market bear? How many could be reasonable for a pre order? How much would people be willing to pay?
Jon, Bruce, Stephan? You guys don’t make a huge margin, what is a “reasonable” price? This is relatively unknown territory for me but, I know a couple of guys...

You will be hard pressed to get them down into a range that makes them viable for rehab grills. They will mostly be purchased on a one single one quantity purchase which will really limit the demand. You would have to get them under $50 for sure to entice a rehabber to pony up the money. You might get some to shell out $75 if they need one to restore a personal grill though.

Yeah, you grill guys are cheapskates. :ROFLMAO: (Just a joke, don't get your panties in a bunch).

I'm making some Performer stuff, propane tank decals, Performer decals, 5lb tank covers. They sell, but it's pathetically slow. Can't keep the price low enough, everybody is used to that cheap Chinese labor. You design and offer a product made in USA and it's just "too expensive". Nobody will buy one just to help you out, you all just dig your own grave when it comes to making reproduction grill parts.

Last edited:
I wonder if ( just thinking out loud ) if it would be feasible to make adapter so a newer, narrower sized bottom pan from a Silver would work.

Maybe two 1.5 inch strips of stainless running front to back? They would need holes to mount to the bottom of the firebox, bent down at a slight angle. Use SS rivets to add bottom tray rails to the underside of the of the adapter. It would probably need two bends, but even for a DIY at home without a brake, it might be possible, depending on how thick the SS is.

Downsides I can think of are it would be screwed to the bottom of the firebox so not easy to slide out for cleaning.

If one had access to a brake, it would be pretty quick and easy I think.

You will be hard pressed to get them down into a range that makes them viable for rehab grills. They will mostly be purchased on a one single one quantity purchase which will really limit the demand. You would have to get them under $50 for sure to entice a rehabber to pony up the money. You might get some to shell out $75 if they need one to restore a personal grill though.
That’s what I was thinking too, one would need to sell a run of 500 to pay for the tooling! A thousand to break even.

Yeah, you grill guys are cheapskates. :ROFLMAO: (Just a joke, don't get your panties in a bunch).

I'm making some Performer stuff, propane tank decals, Performer decals, 5lb tank covers. They sell, but it's pathetically slow. Can't keep the price low enough, everybody is used to that cheap Chinese labor. You design and offer a product made in USA and it's just "too expensive". Nobody will buy one just to help you out, you all just dig your own grave when it comes to making reproduction grill parts.
I speak some printing and, what you are doing is (no offense) very simple, printing has become almost a home business. I’m glad that you’re doing what you do, it’s really great! The tank covers is a little different that’s real handwork and extremely hard to be able to cover your time.
Making steel parts, much more complicated, as you say. If you don’t dig your grave, at least, buy a shovel.
I’m looking for a local guy to look at welding me up a 1000 frame in 316L and that’s not as easy as I’d hoped. I’m having a hard time tearing this one down to replace the bracket parts (thanks for the part number Bruce) and just seeing this happen again. Maybe not in my future but, if it can be done BETTER and maybe affordable, why not?

Tim,
I am afraid you are right. One of my other odd hobbies is restoring old submarine toys, particularly the Remco Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. The replica stuff I have done for that was fun but definitely not a financial success. To sell a rehabbed grill you have to get cheap parts to have any hope of making even a modest return on your hours of labor. There may be a few people who would pay a premium for their own personal grill, but finding them isn't easy. I think the overseas companies that make all those grates figure that they fit a large number of grills, including even some newer Webers. To tool up for a grease tray for 20-year old grills probably is a non-starter for them.

Last edited:
That’s what I was thinking too, one would need to sell a run of 500 to pay for the tooling! A thousand to break even.

I speak some printing and, what you are doing is (no offense) very simple, printing has become almost a home business. I’m glad that you’re doing what you do, it’s really great! The tank covers is a little different that’s real handwork and extremely hard to be able to cover your time.
Making steel parts, much more complicated, as you say. If you don’t dig your grave, at least, buy a shovel.
I’m looking for a local guy to look at welding me up a 1000 frame in 316L and that’s not as easy as I’d hoped. I’m having a hard time tearing this one down to replace the bracket parts (thanks for the part number Bruce) and just seeing this happen again. Maybe not in my future but, if it can be done BETTER and maybe affordable, why not?
Yeah, the propane tank labels are simple. 8 hours to design, outdoor vinyl, clear laminate, custom shape, printed in USA. For $5.50. I make a solid buck and a half for every one I sell. Sold a few dozen so far, haven't even covered my costs. I make about 4 bucks and hour on the covers. I do it for the contribution to the hobby and the fun of it, most people won't.

I’m looking for a local guy to look at welding me up a 1000 frame in 316L and that’s not as easy as I’d hoped.

If you can find a SS Platinum Silver B/C, you can modify it for a 13 bar deep box cook box. It would still take a little welding, but a lot easier and much cheaper.

20210809_153636.jpg

Back